Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Girl in mirror, paint on gravestone, creepy church - supernatural children's series??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girl in mirror, paint on gravestone, creepy church - supernatural children's series??

There's a show that I've been trying to find the name of for nearly two decades. My memory is patchy (obviously) but if anyone has the vaguest clue of what I'm talking about, please, please, please, offer your suggestion.

The era would be before 1992 or so. It was aired on Australian television (channel ABC) on a programme called 'The Afternoon Show' which was a show hosted by Paul Valentine and started about 5pm. Anyway, this programme played two or three children's serials every afternoon. For example, a typical program would have been 'The Gemini Factor'. I am pretty sure the series I am talking about is British and is most probably from the late-mid 80s or perhaps earlier.

I don't remember much of the plot but I do remember images. First, in one episode, a teenage boy is dropped off by the roadside. It is overcast and rainy. Later he is in a building and instead of his reflection, there is the reflection of a girl in white who seems to laugh malevolently. He smashes the mirror but the girl does not disappear.

I think the boy was a drifter perhaps. He arouses the suspicion of the local villagers (it seems to have that British country village atmosphere) when he is seen at a local graveyard adjoining a church. An old man is painting (the church, maybe?) and he sees the teenage boy walk away. However, it cuts away and then back and we see that paint has been spilled on a gravestone. The old man reacts as if the teenage boy did it but from our point of view he has been walking away the whole time.

Another image: it is night time and the boy sees the Church lit up with a choir singing. However, when he enters, the church is dark and empty, as if the lights and voices were an illusion.

That's pretty much all I can remember. I'm afraid there's a possibility that I am mixing up two or more shows but I remember them all from the same show. Those images have been with me for years and years and it is a holy grail for me to find this show.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Re: Girl in mirror, paint on gravestone, creepy church - supernatural children's seri

No takers?

Comment

Re: Girl in mirror, paint on gravestone, creepy church - supernatural children's seri

been searching nothing so far
      Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
        been searching nothing so far
        I've done a lot of searching over the years and I'm really afraid I might have dreamt some of it or really mixed it up.

There's another image I have in my head (involving mirrors again) but I am pretty sure it is from a different show. I think the setting was a girl's boarding school. One of the bedrooms has a full-length mirror on the door of a walk-in cupboard. One of the girls is looking in the mirror and sees a ghost image in it, and the ghost drops a piece of paper. The ghost disappears and the ordinary reflection returns, and the girl opens the cupboard door and finds a piece of paper on the floor of the cupboard behind the mirror.

I don't think I'll ever find either series but then again there are other shows that I've found thanks to persistence over the years.

Comment

my search keeps bringing me back to mirror, mirror
          might be worth ruling out
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror,_Mirror_(TV_series)

the only other girl/mirror series I can think of was Come back Lucy
          Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
            my search keeps bringing me back to mirror, mirror
            might be worth ruling out
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror,_Mirror_(TV_series)

the only other girl/mirror series I can think of was Come back Lucy
            I'm 99% certain Mirror, Mirror could not be it - it first aired in 1995 and I was in high school at the time - far too late to be the show I'm thinking of.

Comment

And I've looked through a page describing the Come Back, Lucy series and none of that looks familiar.

Comment

By chance, was the girl wearing a blindfold and some kind of light colored dress? I have been looking for a show (I am beginning to think I dreamed of) that somewhat fits part of the description you offered. I remember it being very dark and freaky...and a boy who was trying to find this girl??? (I don't know if he was actually trying to find her or not.) I remember the girls reflection showing up in mirrors, and i want to say she was saying, "help me."

I also remember scary monster-like things chasing this boy and/or girl. They resembled dark colored hay stacks??? Or "Cousin It" type creatures (from the Adam's Family). Does this ring a bell?

I am from the United States and it wasn't produced here. It was definitely a foreign production. I think we're talking about the same thing...or maybe not. I hope we are. This too would be my holy grail from my childhood.

Comment

Hey hornytoad2, might what to check out 'The Watcher in the Woods' sounds like it fits your description .

YouTube - BETTE DAVIS The Watcher In The Woods Rare CREEPY TV Spot

YouTube - BETTE DAVIS The Watcher In The Woods Rare Trailer

im a forum noob sorry for not direct displaying the youtube links :P

Ill try and have a dig around for you too Metaphor, times too short in my lunch hour :cry:, But i remember TWitW's without needing research..

Comment

Originally posted by hornytoad2 View Post
                    By chance, was the girl wearing a blindfold and some kind of light colored dress? I have been looking for a show (I am beginning to think I dreamed of) that somewhat fits part of the description you offered. I remember it being very dark and freaky...and a boy who was trying to find this girl??? (I don't know if he was actually trying to find her or not.) I remember the girls reflection showing up in mirrors, and i want to say she was saying, "help me."

I also remember scary monster-like things chasing this boy and/or girl. They resembled dark colored hay stacks??? Or "Cousin It" type creatures (from the Adam's Family). Does this ring a bell?

I am from the United States and it wasn't produced here. It was definitely a foreign production. I think we're talking about the same thing...or maybe not. I hope we are. This too would be my holy grail from my childhood.
                    Well, the boy and the mirror-girl interacted in my memory, but some of your description does sound like 'Watcher in the Woods' - I've watched the trailer and although there is both a mirror girl and what looks to be a church, I don't think Watcher in the Woods is the show I'm talking about (WitW is a movie rather than a series and I think mine was a tv series).

The hay stacks sounds vaguely familiar to me but maybe not from the same show.

Comment

Originally posted by Belialspawn View Post
                      Hey hornytoad2, might what to check out 'The Watcher in the Woods' sounds like it fits your description .

YouTube - BETTE DAVIS The Watcher In The Woods Rare CREEPY TV Spot

YouTube - BETTE DAVIS The Watcher In The Woods Rare Trailer

im a forum noob sorry for not direct displaying the youtube links :P

Ill try and have a dig around for you too Metaphor, times too short in my lunch hour :cry:, But i remember TWitW's without needing research..
                      Well thanks belialspawn. I'm almost resigned to never finding it, because if it was a popular children's show, someone would have recognised it by now (eg lots of people recognise descriptions of 'Escape into Night'.)

It might also have been an episode of a horror/sci-fi anthology series. If it was that might be very hard to find as well, if only because so many have been produced.

Comment

*bump*

Comment

I thought possibly Moondial, which was a kids' TV drama in about 1991 based on the book by Helen Cresswell, though the description doesn't sound exactly alike.

Comment

Originally posted by BlitzKid View Post
                            I thought possibly Moondial, which was a kids' TV drama in about 1991 based on the book by Helen Cresswell, though the description doesn't sound exactly alike.
                            Yeah, I've looked at screenshots for Moondial and read the plot, that doesn't seem to be it.

Comment

I thought I'd bump the thread in case some fresh eyes might recognise something.

Comment

Working...
                              X