Atari 2600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atari 2600

I loved my atari. I cant image how many hours i spent on that thing! Looking at the games now there seem so basic but we didnt know anything better then!

Here are some screenshots of my favourite games from that time.

You can play old games on the below website.

The Old Computer | ROMs,Emulators,Nes ROMs,Snes ROMs,N64 ROMs,Nintendo ROMs,Atari,Bios,Amiga,Commodore,Sega

It has atari, sega, nintendo, commodore, acorn etc etc etc.
    Attached Files
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

Re: Atari 2600

some more favs
    Attached Files
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

Comment

This game i thought should have a mention just because i could never ever work it! Didnt have a clue what to do but really wanted to play it because it was E.T!
      Attached Files

Comment

Does anyone remember a mid 1980s game made ( I think) by Atari, called ~"~The Little Pygmy" in which logic got one through a series of mud huts or suchlike, to escape - only it seemed to me that there was no satisfactory solution, probably a design error. Or does anyone remember actually managing to escape????

Comment

My dad had an Atari in the 80's. Our favourite game was called 'Leaper' which invloved moving lines with gaps in, and you had to try and get leaper (which I think was a mouse?!) up the gaps to the top of the screen to light up his name, and various baddies would come along the lines to stop you. Does anyone remember this game? : )

Comment

Did anyone see the documentary Atari: Game Over where a landfill site in New Mexico was excavated and loads of Atari cartridges were discovered? Many of them still had their original packaging. It was quite interesting. I remember playing Asteroids, Yars Revenge, Phoenix, Pacman, Keystone Kapers and Space Invaders on the Atari 2600. It was a great console.

Comment

Did anybody play River Raid? IIRC, it was by Activision, but for the Atari 2600.
              Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Originally posted by homewood View Post
                did anyone see the documentary atari: Game over where a landfill site in new mexico was excavated and loads of atari cartridges were discovered? Many of them still had their original packaging.
                et??
                Jeep Swenson January 5th 1957 - August 18 1997.

Comment

Two favs on my Atari 2600 were River Raid and Q-Bert.

Yes, I watched that Atari documentary on the E.T game cartridges that was dumped in the New Mexico desert. I don't blame them for doing that as it was a terrible game.

Comment

Originally posted by akb48fan View Post
                    Two favs on my Atari 2600 were River Raid and Q-Bert.

Yes, I watched that Atari documentary on the E.T game cartridges that was dumped in the New Mexico desert. I don't blame them for doing that as it was a terrible game.
                    I heard the ET game was rushed to release it while the film was still in the public eye.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Yes, you are right there. Atari apparently never gave E.T to game testers before it's release because they thought it would be a huge success due to it's previous games having sold well.

Comment

E.T took only 5 weeks to develop and was rushed through production in order to hit the shelves for Christmas 1982. It did quite well initially due to the success of the film and brand loyalty to Atari but there were many returns with people claiming the game was monotonous and repetitive with E.T falling down pits. Trying to escape from the pits was considered time consuming. Spielberg was unimpressed with the concept and had asked if Atari could design something similar to Pacman. The documentary I mentioned in a previous post, Atari: Game Over is on YouTube if anyone's interested.

Comment

When I see the old Atari logo (mostly in old 1980s Argos catalogues), it reminds me a bit like the TVS logo upside down it you know what I mean. Not surprisingly as they were popular around 1982.
                          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Got my 2600 for my 12th birthday and I loved it. Came with Joust which was a fantastic 2 player and I got Pole Position, Megamania and Planet Patrol to start off with. I think the hate for the 2600's Pac Man is totally unjust. The first time I ever saw Pac Man was on the 2600 and I thought it was great fun. A common complaint is that when you take a power pill the way the ghosts flicker make it hard to tell if they are safe to eat or not. That complaint is nonsense because you can easily see the change from pink to blue. My friend along the road swapped me her Jr Pac man for my Joust and wow, what a game. It was almost arcade quality and was the first 2600 I played that had music.

Around 2001 my mate from across the road sold me an old model 2600 for £5. Couldn't grumble at that. It came with 2 joysticks, Combat and Phoenix. And it came with something I'd been after for years: a pair of paddles. I've had the game Video Olympics for years but was never able to play it because it's a paddle game. Because the paddles came in pairs you could get up to 4 players. A mate of mine had Indy 500 for it and that was the only game I ever saw that needed the Driving Controller. That controller was the same as the paddles except it came as a single unit.

Comment

Working...
                            X