Re: outmoded expressions

Nice One Cyril
    Nice one son
    Nice one cyril
    Lets have another one
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

I didn't think you were old enough to remember that Mike!

I couldn't think what ad this slogan was for before the football song, so I looked it up and found it was for Wonderloaf.
      sigpic
      'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
        How about - 'Nice one Cyril'.

Remember that?
        It grew out of an advert for "Mothers Pride" Bread where a baker presented his loaf to a managment type who replied "Nice one Cyril"

At the same time, Tottenham Hotspur, had a player called Cyril Knowles (now RIP) the song grew from the terraces, finally making the charts in 1973 courtesy of The Cockerel Chorus
        I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

[QUOTE=Richard1978;122346]When I was at one primary school if anyone wanted to show they didn't believe something they had just been told, they would stroke their chin & say "Chinny Winston" in a silly voice.

Very annoying, especially if it was something totally true just told them.

I never heard it anywhere else.

That's very interesting. I'm thirty, and when we were kids, whenever someone was telling a tall tail, we would rub our chins and say, "Chinny chin chin"

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
            Snap

Yes Joey Deacon was on Blue Peter, I think they were probably trying to educate kids about disabilities but all they did was create a new insult.
            Before my time, but even I have heard the expression "Joey".
            This is terribly intollerrant of ...um... what's pc?
            I know you can't say spazz (un-pc)

Comment

ooops, sorry, that's quite offensive, my appleogies

Comment

Well I think Joey was a cerebral palsy sufferer - what used to be called spastic. The thing is, cases vary in type and severity. For example, my neice has the condition but she does not have the uncontrolled movements and speech difficulties.

Yeah, "spaz" has always been a horrible word.

But I wasn't offended by your post, Flash, as I'm sure you didn't intend offense. I am always grasping for words and often pick the wrong one

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                  Well I think Joey was a cerebral palsy sufferer - what used to be called spastic. The thing is, cases vary in type and severity. For example, my neice has the condition but she does not have the uncontrolled movements and speech difficulties.

Yeah, "spaz" has always been a horrible word.

But I wasn't offended by your post, Flash, as I'm sure you didn't intend offense. I am always grasping for words and often pick the wrong one
                  There are loads of words acceptable in the playground because that's the way kids are. When you leave school and mature, you realise how wrong these names are and that they have no place in society.
                  I had a bad ankle sprain at school and had to go around on crutches for a while. Apart from being called Long John Silver and Sandy Richardson (anyone?) I was referred to as Cripple, Spaz, Mong. In fact some kids were calling me Sandy right up to my 6th form days!
                  I'm not saying it's right but thats how it goes!

Comment

Yep, Sandy Richardson was in Crossroads, he was played by Roger Tonge, who died at 35 from Hodgkins Disease. He was wheelchair bound and was the first disabled actor in a soap.

Ta-da!
                    Last edited by Teejay; 26-08-2009, 15:01.
                    "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Teejay View Post
                      Yep, Sandy Richardson was in Crossroads, he was played by Roger Tonge, who died at 35 from Hodgkins Disease. He was wheelchair bound and was the first disabled actor in a soap.

Ta-da!
                      Well played!
                      He was quite a funny guy. I remember him being interviewed once about the lack of lovelife his character had in Crossroads. He remarked "Im the only Guy in the world with 3 crutches and none of them get any action!"

Comment

AHAHAhahahahahaa! Is that true?
                        "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Teejay View Post
                          AHAHAhahahahahaa! Is that true?
                          Very much so. It was on the old regional news programme "ATV Today"

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
                            I didn't think you were old enough to remember that Mike!

I couldn't think what ad this slogan was for before the football song, so I looked it up and found it was for Wonderloaf.
                            Despite my youthful charm I'm getting on a bit

I've always known it as a football song I think, with the names changed depending on the player. I always knew the original was Cyril though.
                            The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

[ATTACH]2045[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by chrisredditch View Post
                                There are loads of words acceptable in the playground because that's the way kids are. When you leave school and mature, you realise how wrong these names are and that they have no place in society.
                                I had a bad ankle sprain at school and had to go around on crutches for a while. Apart from being called Long John Silver and Sandy Richardson (anyone?) I was referred to as Cripple, Spaz, Mong. In fact some kids were calling me Sandy right up to my 6th form days!
                                I'm not saying it's right but thats how it goes!
                                Outmoded expressions are usually outmoded because the are offensive.
                                I remember a bloke at our school who had a terrible accident that left him with one leg shorter than the other. Everyone called him "Peg Leg", which drove him berserk, but because he had a dicky leg he couldn't catch anyone who said it.
                                His younger brother got really fat, and his name was Barry, so people started calling him, "Barrelly". (like a barrel?)
                                But if you are are feeling sorry for them, don't. They were bullies.

It's funny how these expressions are introduced to educate and inform, but, in reality, are just more ammunition. Like how Alf Garnetts' turns of phrase, meant to show his ignorance, merely provided more insults for rascists in the playground.

Comment

Working...
                                X