Chance in A Million

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chance in A Million

Anyone remember this delightful C4 Sitcom shown in the 80's?
    Simon Callow played Tom Chance, a statcato speaking, beer gulping chap who's life revolved around outrageous coincidences.
    Brenda Blethyn played his long suffering girlfriend.

"Chance in a Million" (1984)
    I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Re: Chance in A Million

I loved this programme, as did my Mum and Dad.
    We'd sit and watch it together so it reminds me of very happy times, great series imo
    Heather

Comment

Couldn't bear it!!

There's certain people I can't STAND watching. Unfortunately Simon Callow is one (I'm sure he's a nice enough bloke though!)

Robin Williams and Tom Hanks are 2 more. Oh and Whitney Houston.
      "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Teejay View Post
        Couldn't bear it!!

There's certain people I can't STAND watching. Unfortunately Simon Callow is one
        I didnt watch it for Simon Callow - I watched it to see Brenda Blethyn in her underwear, which normally happened every episode

Comment

Lol!
          "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
          sigpic

Comment

Brilliant series, can't understand why it's never been released on DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisredditch View Post
              I didnt watch it for Simon Callow - I watched it to see Brenda Blethyn in her underwear, which normally happened every episode
              Mmm, still remember him picking her up, in her scanties, and carrying her fireman-style over his shoulder.
              Still crazy after all these years.

Comment

I must admit, I remember watching Brenda's legs more than anything in this series. She's still lovely even now. Simon Callow used to down his pint in one, then carry on the dialogue in a deeper voice. It was almost a catchphrase. It would be great if it could be available on dvd/vhs/mp4....anything! My dad loved it so I'd buy it for him. Then watch it together and not feel guilty about Brenda's legs. I'm old enough to see 'em now!

Comment

I only have vague recollections of this; being 9/10 when it was first shown in the mid '80s (and doubtless endlessly repeated...).

As far as I recall, each episode saw Tom Chance getting into all manner of unlikely and 'hilarious' situations; such as a spy scenario in which the code-phrase was 'A buzzard has flown through my windscreen'. Would you believe it; that very day, a buzzard flew into Tom Chance's windscreen! What were the chances?! (one in a million, evidently). Oh, the capers he got involved in. The bottom of the barrel was perhaps being scraped with this one.

Also; didn't he have some inane 'quirk' where he would down a pint of beer in three seconds flat? Not a good message for our binge-drink obsessed younger generation! Ban this sick filth, say the Daily Mail...

Perhaps I'm being unfair. I'd love to see some now to see how they hold up.
                  The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
                  Marcel Proust

Comment

Originally posted by Secret lemonade drinker View Post
                    I only have vague recollections of this; being 9/10 when it was first shown in the mid '80s (and doubtless endlessly repeated...).

As far as I recall, each episode saw Tom Chance getting into all manner of unlikely and 'hilarious' situations; such as a spy scenario in which the code-phrase was 'A buzzard has flown through my windscreen'. Would you believe it; that very day, a buzzard flew into Tom Chance's windscreen! What were the chances?! (one in a million, evidently). Oh, the capers he got involved in. The bottom of the barrel was perhaps being scraped with this one.

Also; didn't he have some inane 'quirk' where he would down a pint of beer in three seconds flat? Not a good message for our binge-drink obsessed younger generation! Ban this sick filth, say the Daily Mail...

Perhaps I'm being unfair. I'd love to see some now to see how they hold up.
                    The point with CIAM was it was a spoof sitcom which highlighted outrageous coincidences. It was very well written and totally daft!

Comment

The point with CIAM was it was a spoof sitcom which highlighted outrageous coincidences. It was very well written and totally daft!
                      You might have a point there - if it was meant to be contrived, my young mind get it all wrong.

Perhaps for the same reason I never 'got' Spitting image when it first broadcast; what does a 9-year-old know about politics in 1985/6?
                      The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
                      Marcel Proust

Comment

Look here - and Brenda is scantily dressed!!

YouTube - Chance in a Million - The Wedding 1 (of 4)

Comment

Look here - and Brenda is scantily dressed!!

YouTube - Chance in a Million - The Wedding 1 (of 4)
                          I've watched all 4 parts and, although not the best episode, it gives you a flavour of how wacky the show was.
                          Look out for a very young Stephen Fry playing a Vicar!

Comment

Thanks for that - dragged me back by about 20 years...
                            Marcel Proust

Comment

Originally posted by MrSpecialPants View Post
                              Brilliant series, can't understand why it's never been released on DVD.
                              Totally agree, from what I remember.

I have seen bootleg DVD's of all three series advertised on the internet. Not sure if it's worth a chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X