Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ornaments from the 70s/80s

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
    OMG Me and my sister had all of those! How lovely to see a picture of them! I've soooooo got to show her!! Thanks Hug.

x
    "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
    sigpic

Comment

For me ornaments that deserve a mention have to be Lava lamps, the fibre optic ufo sytle lamps, fortune coin trees, wade animals, and little plastic bambi figures.
      Ohhh and the multi coloured glass fish, remember those? And most Mum's seemed to own some sort of glass fruit bowl

My Nan also had plenty of the brass ones around and on the fire place that we use to be allowed to get the brasso out on.
      My gran had the horse brasses, and nearly everyone I knew had a multicoloured glass fish or clown!
      ...chilli...

Comment

I always wanted one of those big brandy glasses with a siamese cat trying to climb in!
        Squirrel

Comment

Like this one?

Comment

My Grandma collected them.And had mostr of the ones in the picture too.Very Seventies...
            sigpic

Comment

Those rotating ball clocks mentioned elsewherw are on some of the uploaded pages.

My Gran used to have a ceramic Bambi, that had had it's head cleanly broken off, but in a way it could be balanced on the neck.

My brother used to place it intact on a flat moveable surface & give it a quick wobble.

The head would then fly off & roll about in a rather macarbely amusing way.

My Mum used to collect Liliput Lane houses, but gave up when they kept withdrawing ones from the range before she could buy them.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I've just spotted the clocks! ha ha, they're just as I remember them!

My next door neighbour had one of those glasses with the china cat climbing up the side. I also rember lots of people having those ugly Spanish wine decanter things with the pointy end taking pride of place in the living room. How else could you advertise your exotic holiday in Benidorm?
                1976 Vintage

Comment

My nana came up trumps with the nasty ornaments too. One I particularly remember, which I think was meant to be a lamp, was a sort of Roman figurine inside a cylinder that had wires running vertically around it. When you switched the light on, oil used to run down the wires in droplets. It was hideous!
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

Yeah, great to see it, I forgot there was a mouse in the bottom but it makes sense.
                    Squirrel

Comment

...and who remembers the Capiodemonte Roses ???

Click image for larger version

Name:	RoseCU-N-404963LG.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	259541
                      Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
                      <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

They were hideous. Although the plain porcelain rose on a silver stem wasn't so bad.

This is one I always remember from the 70's, when smoking wasn't the evil Bête Noire it is now..

'

As mentioned on the "I ain't seen that in yonks" thread.
                        This hideous lump was my dear old Mum's Pride & Joy in the Seventies

Comment

did that say it was made in staffordshire?
                          Heather

Comment

Yep. both Good and bad things come from Staffordshire

like Clarice Cliff & Robbie Williams

Joking.. no, it was another hideous item on same page that was made in Staffs.
                            in fact, looking at the 'old toot" section of that 1974 catalogue, we seem to have had most of the rubbish in our house in the 'decade the taste forgot'

Brass chargers?? guilty

Brass posthorn? guilty

Brass bedpan? guilty
                            Last edited by sixtyten; 15-01-2010, 01:09.

Comment

Cheeky monkey :P
                              Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
                              <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

My Nan loved her brass, she had it hung around and placed on her fire place
                                Heather

Comment

Working...
                                X