ornaments from the 70s/80s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ornaments from the 70s/80s

My Nan( from my Dads side) had about three of them, all really large but slightly different sizes.
    each shire horse was pulling something slightly different. I never really liked them they freaked me out a little bit as they were so big!
    Heather

Comment

I once visited a distant cousin (3rd twice removed) who had many nick-nacks, including a couple of shire horses with brewery drays.

She also had 2 complete collections of figurines, one set was of Georgian - early Victorian women (all looking like they were from a Jane Austen novel) & the other was of 1920s-30s figures.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
        I can remember getting my Mum Wade Whimsies.. which were hideous, and barely resembled the animals they were meant to be.
        I have no doubt now that she never actually collected them, we just bought them as they were pocket money priced & thought she'd like 'em.
        If she'd have said "God, that's hideous", we would never have bought anymore, but Mum's never say that.
        Bit like going to dinner at a person's house who is not that great a cook, and telling them the "insert dinner" was great..
        You'll get it every time you eat there again.. forever
        I still have a few of them but must admit they are hideous!

Comment

If there's anything naffer than Beswick dogs it's that shire horse and cart, which my parents owned, and I will never ever forgive them for. Worse, even, than those hideous velvet wall plaques featuring scenes of Wales, or the Lake District, or London.
          "Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

Comment

My mam worked for Ronson's in the 60s and 70s so we had lots of these in the house. I've still got a lovely chunky cut glass one on my fire place (minus it's lighter innards). I put tea lights inside it.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
              I also rember lots of people having those ugly Spanish wine decanter things with the pointy end taking pride of place in the living room. How else could you advertise your exotic holiday in Benidorm?
              My parents used to have one, it could be at the back of our garage but my parents have had a few clearouts since I last saw it.

Comment

When I saw this thread, my first thought was those metal wobbly stick men things from the early '80s. You must remember them, small metal matchstick men with large round ball-bearing-type heads which would sit on equally anemic-looking horses, roundabouts, see-saws etc, and would spin or rock when you pushed them. We had several of them including a tennis player which would just go round and round on a chrome cylindrical plinth with a counterbalance weight to stop him falling off.

They always seemed to be closely related to the Newton's Cradle.
                "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I remember those matchstick men models, I never had one but did get a Newton's Cradle one Xmas which is still at my parents house. It works though some of the chrome has worn off the balls.

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post

I mean why would you even want a brass pineapple?

Just what I thought, until I spied my very own whicker pear on the window sill. A quick peruse of the house later and I've had to admit that I am turning into my mother. Observe my green vase which looks like it should be from 1970 but isn't, the aformentioned retro lighter-tea light holder and a little acrobat ball bearing man. I'm deeply ashamed!
                    Attached Files
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

The silly girl meant wicker, not me!

Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	259688
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

Re: The silly girl meant wicker, not me!

Im trying to think what we had.Think Id need to dig out pics to see if I can see anything.I know I had a little rabbit with a schoolbag on his back.My mum had some sort of odd ashtray im sure.I really can't think,there was a big glass punch jug and some crystal Im sure.My da's mum had loads,but I didn't really like her,so memories or her house are limited.My other gran had a big silver thing that I think came from India.It had a big bowl at the top and little bowls and spoons round the edge!I really can't remember.

tulip

Comment

We used to have an ashtray that you pressed a button on the top and the butts disappeared into the holder below.

Comment

I think I've seen one of those push button ashtrays recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                              I've just spotted the clocks! ha ha, they're just as I remember them!

My next door neighbour had one of those glasses with the china cat climbing up the side. I also rember lots of people having those ugly Spanish wine decanter things with the pointy end taking pride of place in the living room. How else could you advertise your exotic holiday in Benidorm?

This is the thing I had in mind, although this one looks like it is a better quality example as it is made of glass. The ones I remember were straight out of the tourist shop - a similar colour but plastic and swathed in brassy gold chains.
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

Those brown jars shaped like a big pickled onion and they were always crying, im sure you could buy other ones like a vase shaped like Celery.

Comment

Working...
                                X