Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ornaments from the 70s/80s

Originally posted by nessie View Post
    One of the reasons i loved visiting me gran was she had 1000's of ornaments. The good, bad and the ugly!

Over the years i have started and got rid of collections, Its like a illness!

My first collection was of pigs. I had 100's of the things!

On sunday im going around car boots thinking it would be cool to collect this and that! I cant stop. Here are some of things ive started and failed and some pages of ornaments from the argos catalogue.

I would love to see other peoples old ornaments that they collected or remember!
    Weren't those figurines (4th one on in original posting picture) called 'Watchamacallits' or something?

Comment

Venetian glass clowns. There simply isn't anything good to say about them. Hideous!

Click image for larger version

Name:	lac_000532.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	260062
      1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
        Venetian glass clowns. There simply isn't anything good to say about them. Hideous!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3327[/ATTACH]
        O_O I may never sleep again!

My mum used to collect little china ornaments which were all different bits of fruit like apples, pears etc or chunks of cheese with a mouse inside / hanging half out.

My nan had a lot of stuff, little brass windmills, little brass clogs, and and a few of those cats with the really long necks. Meanwhile, my Grandad collected china horses, he had a couple of cabinets full of them of different breeds and poses.

We had a 'shadow box' on the wall too, full of horrible little dust catching knick-knacks that I had to take down (carefully) every once in a while to wash.

And similar to the craze for cats hanging off big brandy glasses, back in the early 70s I think, every house on our estate suddenly sported a big galleon type ship in their window.

Comment

Originally posted by Genie View Post

We had a 'shadow box' on the wall too, full of horrible little dust catching knick-knacks that I had to take down (carefully) every once in a while to wash.
          I think we had one of these too. Never called it a shadow box but it was a wooden thing shaped like a gable end with about 20 little compartments inside for individual knick-knacks. It was on the wall in the passage for years and I too had the job of washing the knick-knacks now and then.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Comment

We had some knick-knacks from holidays but that's about it...
              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

There seemed to be a variation on these ornaments. Every other house seemed to have one. I wonder where they went?
                Attached Files
                Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

These beanbag ashtrays had my grandparents written all over it!

Comment

Originally posted by marc View Post

There seemed to be a variation on these ornaments. Every other house seemed to have one. I wonder where they went?
                    I assume many went to car boot sales.

My Dad's cousin has a whole house of knick-knacks like these.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My mum and dad had heaps of this stuff over the years:

Oh and dried flower arrangements, mum had heaps of those.

Comment

My mum had lots of ornaments on our mantlepieces, mainly figures, with various brass pieces that needed cleaning with Brasso. She also had ornaments on the hearths, including a big brass dog and a plaster shire horse with all its bridles, brasses etc. We still have them, though not so many. The shire horse was given to us by my gran. She bought it secondhand around 1978 or so. It had a few little chips, but a brand new one was very expensive at the time.

Comment

When Granny died you could have her ashes embedded in a glass paper weight lol
                          sigpic
                          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I think most of the crappy decorations my mum had up were ones us kids bought her for Mothers Day from the local cheap shops.

My Dad didn't have that problem as Fathers Day we always got him a box of Henry Winterman's or hankies.

Comment

Working...
                            X