ornaments from the 70s/80s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ornaments from the 70s/80s

One of the reasons i loved visiting me gran was she had 1000's of ornaments. The good, bad and the ugly!

Over the years i have started and got rid of collections, Its like a illness!

My first collection was of pigs. I had 100's of the things!

On sunday im going around car boots thinking it would be cool to collect this and that! I cant stop. Here are some of things ive started and failed and some pages of ornaments from the argos catalogue.

I would love to see other peoples old ornaments that they collected or remember!
    Attached Files
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

Re: ornaments from the 70s/80s

pages from the argos catalogues
    Attached Files
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

Comment

more pages
      Attached Files

Comment

pages
        Attached Files

Comment

I hate clutterbut our parents,grandparents etc did collect things,but would not get rid of them,they only gather dust anyway.Nessie the pig collection look nice though.The car boot sales are the best way to get shot of them,but a lot of people now are clearing out old attics cupboards etc,the charity shops also is another place to get rid of stuff you don,t need anymore.

Comment

I was going to buy a copy of an old argos catalogue, I wont need to now
            "Man who catch fly with chopsticks accomplish anything"

Comment

I bought an old argos catalogue off ebay. It's on DVD. I've watched it and it was worth a laugh. If anyone wants it let me know.

Now, back to ornaments. There's a bonkers old lady in our family, she's my sisters ex-mother in law.
              I went to her house once and MY GOD! There were ornaments on every available surface. I'm talking sideboards, the ARMS of her chairs, the COOKER!! I kid you not.
              But the most distressing part was when I went into her living room and there were literally hundreds PINNED onto her curtains!! I've never seen anything like it!! It was like some horrific infestation (like when moths stick to the curtains and it weirds me out!) They were little ornamanets like the small Wade animals you get. HOW she got pins to hold them up there I'll never know. I'll tell you what though, there wasn't a speck of dust on any of them!!

Has anyone else seen such an occurance or am I just lucky? LOL!
              Last edited by Teejay; 21-08-2009, 10:25.
              "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
              sigpic

Comment

OMG! I nearly turned into that relative a few years back, I think its inherent, you get past your 20s and young phase and think, I must try and grow up now and collect a few naff things from my holidays abroad, or I must buy a bit of tat of ebay or visit a china shop in town just because that huge china rabbit looks cute. It will impress the visitors especially the olds....
                I ended up with a hundred or so peter rabbit ornaments, crystals things, wade stuff, royal doulton, camberbick green characters etc etc. not to mention the stuff from holidays..I used to have to dust the stuff nearly twice a week. it was all around the living room. That was circa 2002.
                Then I woke up!!! MAN Ive turned in to my gran and Im not even 30 yet!

I've got some more partying to do I thought, so stuff this junk, it was pretty to look at for about 5 minutes, I put it all in boxes and now its sat in the loft.
                I probably wont even be able to give it away.
                I will never do this again not until I reach 60, I have decided minimalise is cool, and much less work. I confessed.... feel a lot better for that.
                "Man who catch fly with chopsticks accomplish anything"

Comment

I think the aquisition of ornaments for the olds may have been the equivalent instant hit that that us lot have of looking on ebay for something that we REALLY think we need RIGHT NOW.

For example, I wouldn't rest until I had this eyelash extension thing from the U.S (obviously I would have DIED without it). I bought it. It arrived and I was SOOOOO excited. Chucked on a bit of mascara, followed (as per instruction) by the product I had bought, which, in my haste I put on too quickly. This product not only increased the volume of my lashes but also ( due to the haste in which I had applied it ) rendered me almost blind for a good few hours) not a good look at work in the gym - but hey, no one else had lashes like mine - or the definite squint it induced for the next 2 days.

x
                  "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
                  sigpic

Comment

For me ornaments that deserve a mention have to be Lava lamps, the fibre optic ufo sytle lamps, fortune coin trees, wade animals, and little plastic bambi figures.
                    Ohhh and the multi coloured glass fish, remember those? And most Mum's seemed to own some sort of glass fruit bowl

My Nan also had plenty of the brass ones around and on the fire place that we use to be allowed to get the brasso out on.
                    Heather

Comment

Attached Files
                      Heather

Comment

Attached Files
                        Heather

Comment

ha ha ha! I bought the dog once from a car boot, No idea why and got rid of it when i did a clear out to a charity shop!

Comment

There are some really bad ornaments in those pics Nessie!
                            I mean why would you even want a brass pineapple?

That glass fish, Heather, I swear at one time everyone had one!

Lava lamps for the win! ( as my son would say)
                            sigpic
                            'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

My mum had a glass fish ornament unfortunately it fell of the cabinet and smashed a piece of it stuck in the side of my foot:cry: and I've still got the scar to prove it

Comment

Working...
                              X