Fan mail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan mail

I run an online fansite for an English actress who was particularly busy in the 70's, 80's and 90's - and, indeed, still active today. She's hugely attractive and a first-rate performer, but sadly she shuns all off-screen publicity and declines to reply to most of her fan mail. I'd be interested to hear from any DYR members who have sent fan mail and whether they received a response or not. I am trying to gather an impression of how actors respond to admirers who write to them, and thereby compare it with our own experience. Thanks.

Re: Fan mail

I have always been a fan of the actor BEN MURPHY, i wrote once to him at a CARE OF Address and i had a sighned photo of him sent back to me.

But then a few monthes later i decided to send him a small photo of him which i had had for a long time for him to sighn and send back, i even enclosed an international reply coupon, never did get it back:cry:

Maybe one day it will come back, fingers crossed.

Comment

Comments removed, whether the person in question may or may not respond to fan mail is up to them.
      Last edited by HG; 07-12-2009, 13:31. Reason: removing content

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
        Comments removed, whether the person in question may or may not respond to fan mail is up to them.
        A little harsh I think, but you're the boss. Replying to fan mail is not quite as cut and dried as your dismissal of my message suggests. The rationale I was trying to put across was that those who have enjoyed a successful career in the public eye have at the very least something of a moral obligation to respond to the support derived from fans, whose activities, after all, however peripherally, are part and parcel of the success such actors enjoy: who is it, for instance, who turns on their TV's to watch their favourite actors, watches the repeats on satellite stations, and buys the merchandise (DVD etc.) - if not the fans, and as such I would suggest there is -or should be - a quid pro quo to reciprocate this support by responding to fan mail. Ignoring fan mail without good reason is unprofessional and discourteous, and that was the essence of the point I was making. I am sorry my comments were misinterpreted.

Comment

I've only ever written one fan letter in my entire life - aged 21 - to the singer Martyn Bates, of Eyeless In Gaza. Didn't know where to write, but sent it c/o of Cherry Red records, his former label. Enclosed an SAE for his use, as I was enquiring about current music projects/upcoming gigs. Forgot all about it, but many months later had a response from the man himself, giving info about his musical activities and generally being very nice, written on the back of a postcard provided by him.And he wasn't even with Cherry Red any more! It's still one of my prized possessions today, some 22 years later.

Comment

I wrote a letter to Eric Richard (Sergeant Bob Cryer in The Bill) back in the 80's asking about other work he'd done etc. I had a really nice handwritten letter back giving lots of info. What a lovely man! I must still have it somewhere as I'm sure I haven't wittingly thrown it away.
            "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Glad you had such a pleasantly memorable experience, Jacqueline. Actors seem to be something of a mixed bag when you attempt to contact them: they're either friendly and welcoming, and, indeed, appreciative of your interest, or, frankly, they can be pretty obnoxious. Of the former category, I have some wonderful memories: in my business, I occasionally have had to engage actors as narrators, and I have either spoken to or met some wonderful people of the "old school" you might say, who were sheer joy to deal with. These included the now late Sir Michael Hordern and Peter Barkworth, plus Richard Briers, who was charm itself. Sadly, however, on the other side of the coin, there is an all-too-lengthy list of folk who seem to struggle with even basic courtesy. I remember, for example, I had to speak once on the phone with Derek Nimmo (who died some year ago) who, quite unprovoked, was extremely unpleasant, which was regrettable. The actress to whom I alluded in my posting which started this thread, and for whom I run a fan site, is the delightful Jan Francis. Jan, however, is intensely protective of her private life, and fan mail is, sadly, not welcome. If you gently persist, as I once did, her agent intervenes in no uncertain terms! So, as I said, they're a mixed bag!

Comment

I know someone who once wrote to Paul O'Grady and got a lovely letter back with a signed photo.
                They also wrote to Alan Titchmarsh and got absolutely nothing out of him!

Comment

Just goes to show there's no consistency to the likely response you're going to get. Some actors are flattered by and embrace fan mail, others view it as an intrusion of their privacy. They're just like the rest of us really I suppose, all with their own views and attitudes. However, I would reiterate the point I made early on in this thread, that I think actors should, as a rule, respond to fan mail (or get others to respond on their behalf if the regular volume of mail they receive is too great) as a gesture of basic good manners and professionalism, and also in recognition of the underlying public relations benefits they derive from the ongoing support of fans.

Comment

I wrote to Ewan Mcgregor when Trainspotting came out and i had a feeling he would be quite famous in the future, he sent a signed large black and white photo that i still have.
                    I also got signed pics from Jeniffer Aniston and Denise Richards about 10 years ago, id say about 2 thirds of famous people in general never reply though, apparently all the soap operas still send out signed pics too, a good bet would be getting someone's autograph who is old and well known like Jack Duckworth or Rita from Corrie cause you know they will pop their Clogs kinda soon so it will be worth more money then.

Comment

Anticipating someone's death to make money out of it is perhaps not the noblest of intentions, but I get your drift! You reckon on a non-replay rate of two-thirds, and that's probably about right. I remain astounded at these celebrities whose good fortune has very largely relied on the popular support they receive from fans and followers, yet they lack the decency and reciprocal goodwill to respond to fan mail.

Comment

They proberbly ignore fans requests because of the market for signed photographs.They might see fans making money out of them as cheeky?Not all fans would do that but the fact that SOME do is enough to make them think twice.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jacqueline View Post
                          I wrote a letter to Eric Richard (Sergeant Bob Cryer in The Bill) back in the 80's asking about other work he'd done etc. I had a really nice handwritten letter back giving lots of info. What a lovely man! I must still have it somewhere as I'm sure I haven't wittingly thrown it away.

its great when someone you wrote tp jacqueline actually writes back and puts a lot of effort in to it.
                          its nice to see as eric did with you J he really appreciated it and the work you wnt to sending him the letter.

some celebs,actors actresses appreciate it others don't really care.

hope J you have not got rid of it.
                          when you find it keep it locked away with say your valuables for safe keeping.

i always got the impression eric richard was a nice man.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I would be a terrible celebrity because I would want to personally answer every request and letter which would be nigh on impossible if you worked hard at your profession.

I think celebrities have to make the decision themselves as to how they are going to respond to 'fan' mail. Fans by the mere fact that they profess themselves to be 'fans' are taking a step away from reality. I understand the notion of 'needing' to contact someone to express your admiration but just look how many celebrities have been victims of stalking over the years and it could explain the reluctance of some celebrities to court publicity away from their professional lives. A positive response from a celeb could encourage a fan to think that they have the right to continue in some sort of correspondence friendship almost like a pen pal. There are a lot of nutters out there who believe that soaps are real and think of the actors as their on screen persona. On the whole it is unlikely but 'fan' can lead to obsession. John Lennon springs to mind of an extreme case of over stepping the mark.

I think that if an individual decides not to respond to fan mail then it is that individuals right to do so for whatever personal reasons they may have and if you truly do admire that person, you will continue to watch them and appreciate their work but most of all accept their wish to remain private above your own personal 'fan' needs.

If you take umbrage then you are not truly a admirer of that person work or of that person as an individual.

Comment

I'd be a terrible celebrity because I wouldn't respond to anybody. I suppose it's the way you look at it as a profession. Of course you have to be thankful for the support of your fans but to me it seems a bit strange that people write to celebrities anyway (no offence anybody!). To me it's just a job. They entertain me through acting or music or whatever but I don't know them as people and I don't have any desire to contact them. If I was a celebrity I would feel that it was an invasion of my privacy, but I suppose it is part and parcel of those lines of work.
                              Last edited by Trickyvee; 01-11-2010, 20:01.
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                              X