No announcement yet.

What Events Stopped You in Your Tracks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Events Stopped You in Your Tracks!

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
    Another one just after and into the early noughties was when that Man who was driving his Car feel-asleep in it on the M62 and his Car fell promptly from the Bridge and derailed a Train on the line below.Though not many people may recall this - unless you was Northern at the time, as at the time it made masive news as I am sure it did all round, but more so as at that time iut was like 30/45 from where I lived then - if that

80sChav
    I remember it happening, especially as I was between jobs at the time & able to watch a lot of daytime TV.

There were a lot of questions raised about how how well protected railways were from cars crashing onto them.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

In order of impact I would say:

1) 9/11
      2) Death of Princess Diana
      3) Falklands war
      4) Margaret Thatcher resignation

The death of Diana was clearly a great personal tragedy and the Falklands war and Thatcher resignation were both pivotal moments for the country. I think 9/11 is the stand-out event though - massive human loss and suffering and an impact on world affairs that is still being felt almost 20 years on.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post

Another one just after and into the early noughties was when that Man who was driving his Car feel-asleep in it on the M62 and his Car fell promptly from the Bridge and derailed a Train on the line below.Though not many people may recall this - unless you was Northern at the time, as at the time it made masive news as I am sure it did all round, but more so as at that time iut was like 30/45 from where I lived then - if that

80sChav

I remember it happening, especially as I was between jobs at the time & able to watch a lot of daytime TV.

There were a lot of questions raised about how how well protected railways were from cars crashing onto them.
        I certainly do remember it happening! Terrible!
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Hearing about Hillsborough was upsetting, especially as local supporters of Nottingham Forest were there at the time. A few days later I was at a friend's house and I happened to be talking to someone who was also at the match although he was fine and was unhurt.

Was listening to Five Live on the clock radio when Diana's death broke, so I was one of the first to hear of it.

A local radio presenter, Dennis McCarthy had a heart attack and died just a few hours after his final programme in January 1996. That really upset me.

There were others, although they were after the 1990s.
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I would concur 9/11 in the modern era. But the shooting of JFK when I was a kid did the trick for me. Every one was talking about it. The television news ran it for days. Everyone loved JFK even a 10 year old Aussie kid at boarding school.

Comment

Princess Di John Lennon Marc Bolan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Re 9-11

There is available on line all 21 files of FDNY/NYPD/EMS audio radio traffic

If you listen to at least some of it, you will see that all the emergency personal who acted so bravely

There is on YT footage of the emergency response

One firefighter shows the seriousness of the situation where he said one word to explain all

"F***"
                sigpic
                Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I was watching TV when the first news report came in about the first plane hitting the tower. I thought they were talking about a light plane. It gradually dawned on me that they meant a commercial passenger jet, and when the second plane hit, the full horror of what had happened struck me, that this was deliberate, not a tragic accident.

Comment

I think the first for me would've been Elvis dying. It might sound daft but he'd been this big name star and it hadn't seemed like 'they' could just die like that, like they weren't entirely real people. I suppose people older than me would've found that out a bunch of time in the '60s if not in the late '50s with Buddy Holly. Then John Lennon being shot was a big shock too.

Next up was Mount Saint Helens bloewg up. We heard it where I was, thought a gas station a few blocks away must've exploded despite the vcoverage on U.S. stations warning about the mountain being very active. It might seem it should've been obvious but who knows what a volcano going off is going to sound like?

We'd just gotten a new tv early one night and plugged it in, maybe a half hour, when the news came on about a crash in Paris inviolving Diana. So that is kind of oddly mixed up in this tv/video combo unit we'd gotten.

Obviously 9-11 biggest shock of all. Really horrible. I remember having to be in another city for a hospital visit not long after and the stranded people from the U.S. where I was staying. They had to keep checking with the airport in-person and kept coming back asking to stay another night.
                    My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Working...
                    X