No announcement yet.

What Events Stopped You in Your Tracks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Events Stopped You in Your Tracks!

Murder of John Lennon - (I was on parade at HMS Raleigh when it was announced. The communial groan still haunts me)

Death of Jock Stein (It was played out in front of my eyes as he suffered a heart attack at the end of a World Cup qualifier)

Death of Elvis, Diana and Jacko (3 massive iconic figures, not that I was a big fan of any of them - still can surprise)

The Berlin Wall coming down (was put up the year I was born and I always thought it would be a permanent fixture)
    I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Re: What Events Stopped You in Your Tracks!

Diana's death was the JFK moment for our generation - I was in a supermarket when I heard.
    On way to school when I heard of Lennon - I think Chapman is better off in prison for his own safety.
    On honeymoon in Lanzarote when news of 9/11 came through.

Comment

I was in bed when I heard about Diana on the radio.

Had just got in from work at 10.30pm when my sister text me about Jacko (I was due to see him on August 1st) so I called her and said "Is this some kind of joke?" She told me to put the news on and the rest as they say, is history (no pun intended!!)

Freddie Mercury upset me quite a bit when I heard that he had died.

I was working in London on 9/11 when a girl said "a plane has flown into the WTC" I said "yeah, AND?....." then I got home and put the telly on.... (incidentally I got married on 11 Sept last year!!)

I was stopped in my tracks when I found out George Michael is gay!! NO JOKE!!! I was SHOCKED!! Still think it's a waste of a gorgeous bit of totty!!
      "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
      sigpic

Comment

Quite A few things I first heard of by putting on Teletext, Jon Pertwee, Princess Diana, Dusty Springfield, Princess Margaret, Pope John Paul II, Michael Jackson, etc.

I had just got home from a bike ride when my Dad told me about the Hillsborough disaster, though from what Granstand were showing at the time I had no idea how bad things were.

Jill Dando was the first via the internet, though I didn't have direct access at work at that time, but everyone was talking about it. I hardly believed it until I got home.

The first news of 9/11 was when a temp at work came in from lunch & told the whole office.

A pub caught fire on the route of the bus I was taking that afternoon, so it took ages to get home to find out things for myself.

I was one the way to my Aunt's house when it was announced that Saddam Hussain had been captured. When we got the one of my cousins was wondering if it was as one of his many lookalikes who had been caught.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I would probably have to go with 9/11. I had just started college and wasn't really familiar with anybody on my course, the sheer tragedy of that horrible event seemed to bring us all closer together much more quickly than an 'ice breaker/tell us about yourself' session ever could. For about two or three weeks straight a typical start to a college day would be to grab a paper and log onto one of the American news sites to read the latest developments, I will never forget that awful event.

Comment

I'd say 9/11 too, I still remember being told about it at work, everyone being shocked and spending the afternoon on the news websites. It was a truly world changing event.

I remember Princess Di (lying in bed with a hangover) and John Lennon (at junior school) too, but they are insignificant compared to 9/11
            The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Pretty Glib of me to forget 9/11. Obviously, it was a defining moment!
              I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

Apart from all the ones mentioned the other event that stunned me was waking up to hear on the radio that Marvin Gaye had been shot dead by his father.
                sigpic
                'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

9/11 is the only one that sent a shiver down my spine and left me speechless. I was in work and a customer came in and told us. My Wife was on nights at the time and was asleep on the sofa at home. I called her to confirm and she switched on the tv and we were both gobsmacked. I have kept the daily mirror from the following day (mainly for my daughter to read when she's older cos she'll probably ask about it).

I was wide awake when the first newsflash of the Diana crash came through. I was lay on my bed watching a made for tv version of Night of the hunter with Richard Chamberlain in the lead role and stayed up as the story unfolded.
                  "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I was working as cabin crew when we heard about Princess Diana. It was awful working that day. I remember I was nightstopping in Cologne and when I came to reception the captain said so matter of factly "did you hear Princess Diana died", and I just went cold. We were all in total shock the whole way to the airport and the whole working day. We had to hand out newspapers as the passengers boarded and there was just silence for all 4 flights I worked that day. Not one passenger asked for anything. Everyone was just in silence and so upset. :cry:

Comment

I think the first one was the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster. I was at a school that was next to an american air base and lots of the kids were from USA.

Then Hillsborough shocked us all in high school.

Princess diana..that one was odd. Because somehow it didnt seem real. Even though i was watching it on tv it wasnt going in my head (because princesses dont die, i know they do but you see where im going!)

Then the big one was 9/11. I was at work. Someone come in the office and i thought they were chatting s***. Rung me mum and she was in tears and then i was in tears. I felt awful for weeks after that. It can still bring me to tears that one.
                      I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

Comment

I remember coming home & the Challenger disaster being covered on TV most of the evening, I can't remember if CBBC was taken off air, or Newsround was extended to cover it.

A few months later Chernobyl disaster was a "What Happens Next?" event.

Other "having the radio on at the right time" moments I remember was the Oklahoma city bombing.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

What events stoped me in my tracks?

Erm...none.
                          Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

qyite a few left me stunned.

heysel in 84 european cup final
                            liverpool juventus.

and of course hillsborough.

the stabbing of monica seles in germany when playing steffi graf.
                            she was stabbed in the shoulder when she was sitting down as you do after each 2 games.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

A girl riding a bike on Chickenley Lane.
                              The occasional wall.
                              The Falkland's war.
                              The storming of the Iranian Embassy during the Snooker on TV.
                              My Dad's death from MS(a world event to me).
                              Challenger.
                              Diana.
                              Boxing Day Tsunami.
                              and 9/11 (in Particular the 1st Tower collapse. The 2nd one seemed inevitable)

Comment

Working...
                              X