BBC's Count Dracula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC's Count Dracula

I have been watching BBCs Count Dracula from 1977 and stars Louis Jordan, Frank Finley and Judi Bowker.
    It was shown on 22 December 1977 but i missed it the first time around.
    Its a very atmospheric production despite some of the chorma-key Top of the Pops effects which really date it.
    anyway here is a screen shot of the luminous Judy Bowker (she appeared in clash of titans a few years later)

My scrapbook blog

My website

Re: BBC's Count Dracula

more about the series here
    Taliesin meets the vampires: Count Dracula (1977) – review
    My scrapbook blog

My website

Comment

Probably the best and most faithful version of Dracula yet. I didn't see it on its first showing, as I was a bit too young, but saw it as a three parter a year or so later.
      Watching it again a few years back, I was struck by how I'd previously underrated Louis Jourdan's performance, but I now see it as understated, charming and utterly menacing at the same time, particularly in the early scenes in Castle Dracula, where his mysterious urging of Harker to write letters home telling them all is well are particularly creepy.
      And, yes, Judi Bowker... What a neck!

Comment

The BBC didn't want to send this up at all so the Dr Who story The Witch Lords had the plug pulled on it just before it went into production.

The script was later reworked into the story State Of Decay.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

if you hadn't told us her name I couldn't have named her DESPITE the fact that I knew her face extremely well..very beautiful
          sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Hi Richard
            i sort of remember state of decay (Dr Who)
            was that a peter davison story?
            something about a cloister bell ringing in the tardis?

yes Judi indeed has a beautiful neck
            I would love to see Judi Bowker and Jenny Agutter in the film together.
            ok time for my ice cold shower
            Last edited by ecofugal; 21-08-2009, 02:28.
            My scrapbook blog

My website

Comment

"State of Decay" was during Tom Baker's last series as the Doctor. A trio of vampires ruling over a village of peasants from a tower that has been built around and ancient spaceship.

I can see why you might be thinking Cloister Bell, though, as in "Logopolis" there is a lot of talk about entropy and decay as the bell tolls mournfully in the background.

Personally, I'm glad that the Doctor Who vampire story was put on hold a few years, since the writer, Terrance Dicks, had to come up with a late replacement and that was "The Horror of Fang Rock", my second favourite Doctor Who story of all time (the favourite being "Talons of Weng Chiang").

Comment

The BBC adaption of Count Dracula was sensational.Louise Jourdan has got to be one of the greatest portrayers of Dracula i have ever seen.Regarding Judy Bowker,here is a small obscure site,by somebody who has managed to track Judy and her husband Harry Meacher's career over the past few years.

OK2LIFE, let's talk!: Following the trail of Judi Bowker

Comment

Hello everybody...I've only just discovered this great site..I watched the original showing of the BBC's brilliant adaptation of 'Dracula' back in the day when I was quite young and petrified at night for years after seeing it. I still have to have the duvet wrapped around my neck before I can sleep. I've read and reread the book and saw lots of different film versions. However this one was far and away the closest version to the book I've seen. I bought the dvd on ebay recently and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The mad effects did date it a bit but Jourdan's portrayal of the Count was great...he was quite evil but at the same time, charming and charismatic. Not a bad bit of gear for his age I have to say. Judy Bowker was quite beautiful, I remember her Vicki in the 'Black Beauty' series and then as Andromeda in 'Clash of the Titans'. Susan Penhaligon made the best screen Lucy ever, her little bloodthirsty tantrum in the graveyard was really spine chilling. Not to forget Frank Finlay who was perfect for the part of Van Helsing.

Comment

Working...
                  X