Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that dont happen anymore

Having the football season end BEFORE the cricket season started (and vice versa).

Clive.

how come when we were at school we looked forward to the start of summer holidays 6 weeks of staying in bed til we want and not doing homework, but once we have kids ourselves those 6 weeks seem so much longer lol, my daughter has just left school and last night she said to me "mum how come there are hardly any kids playing in the parks now" guess its all down to the personal computers they own lol. times change

Star Wars used to be on TV every Christmas, and up until about 1986 I got Star Wars toys for Christmas. I've now got an attic full of the stuff and i've found it's worth a fortune on ebay!

Someone said that there were still shops that only sell sweets ... well yes there are, but it's now a business based on nostalgia, whereas back in the day it wasn't out of the ordinary or a novelty to see these types of stores.

How about seeing white dog poo on the pavement? Not a *nice* memory as such, but still, what were they feeding dogs in the seventies??????????

There was no point in waiting to see what the big film would be over Christmas on the telly... it was either Wizard of Oz, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or Mary Poppins........ unfortunately it still is!
    Mrs Oggy
    ~~~*~~~*~~~
    Count your friends amongst the stars....
    And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Quote Originally Posted by stu
    I was thinking today of things that dont happen anymore.
    1. Bob a Job:
    2. Knowing all your mates phone numbers off the top of your head
    3. Asking for a quarter of sherbert lemons, from a shop that only sold sweets
    4. Playing the national anthem, in cinemas before a film and last thing at night on the telly
    5. Summer specials of your favourite comics
    6. Listerning to B sides,
    7. Recording the chart on a portable cassette player
    8. Waiting for your favourite single to work its way up the chart
    9. Waiting to see what big film would be on telly at christmas
    10. All shops closing for a week over christmas
    11. Deposits on big bottles of fizzy drink
    1. Don't recall Bob a Job, was thats Boy Scouts thing? Remember the penny for a guy, the guys don't seem as good these days.
    2. Now the phnoe numbers are too long, or you've a mobile phone to store the numbers in.
    3. Sherberts yep, though wine gums, cheery lips, floral gums and barley sugar canes were my faves.
    4. Recall the Pearl and dean adverts anthem more so, and staturday cinema club, the Childrens Film Foundation.....
    5. Summer special they were kool, though comix then were better anyhow, Valiant, Hotspur, Warlord, Lion, Tiger etc.
    6. B sides seemed kooler than the A sides at times, pictures discs and coloured singles too, and having to explain to your kids what Lp's are, were now.
    7. Yep did that too, every sunday mainly.
    8. Blondie mainly if a new single came out, then there was Toyah V Kim Wilde vying for my affections.
    9. Usually waiting for the latest, then James Bond, remember me dad turning over, and missing the end of Diamonds Are Forever to watch The Sound of Music.....Yuck.
    10. Did they, now now never seem to close at all.
    11. Yep and when we had pop deliveries too, the Corona and Alpine lorries coming round that was a weekly highlight.

Quote Originally Posted by MommaMystique
    There was no point in waiting to see what the big film would be over Christmas on the telly... it was either Wizard of Oz, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or Mary Poppins........ unfortunately it still is!
    Hey, you forgot Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Great Escape!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elbmek
    Hey, you forgot Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Great Escape!!
    All time classic movie though, like the james Bond, Carry On films too, I could watch them over and over, oooooo er Matron

Who can forget the classic line in Carry on Cleo (I think?)

Kenneth Williams as Julius "Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it infer me"!!!!

Default Re: Things that dont happen anymore

the thing that strikes me locally,is children now do not go around collecting firewood and junk,and building a bonfire on november the fifth anymore.