Things that dont happen anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stu
    I was thinking today of things that dont happen anymore.
    1. Bob a Job:
    2. Knowing all your mates phone numbers off the top of your head
    3. Asking for a quarter of sherbert lemons, from a shop that only sold sweets
    4. Playing the national anthem, in cinemas before a film and last thing at night on the telly
    5. Summer specials of your favourite comics
    6. Listerning to B sides,
    7. Recording the chart on a portable cassette player
    8. Waiting for your favourite single to work its way up the chart
    9. Waiting to see what big film would be on telly at christmas
    10. All shops closing for a week over christmas
    11. Deposits on big bottles of fizzy drink
    1. Don't recall Bob a Job, was thats Boy Scouts thing? Remember the penny for a guy, the guys don't seem as good these days.
    2. Now the phnoe numbers are too long, or you've a mobile phone to store the numbers in.
    3. Sherberts yep, though wine gums, cheery lips, floral gums and barley sugar canes were my faves.
    4. Recall the Pearl and dean adverts anthem more so, and staturday cinema club, the Childrens Film Foundation.....
    5. Summer special they were kool, though comix then were better anyhow, Valiant, Hotspur, Warlord, Lion, Tiger etc.
    6. B sides seemed kooler than the A sides at times, pictures discs and coloured singles too, and having to explain to your kids what Lp's are, were now.
    7. Yep did that too, every sunday mainly.
    8. Blondie mainly if a new single came out, then there was Toyah V Kim Wilde vying for my affections.
    9. Usually waiting for the latest, then James Bond, remember me dad turning over, and missing the end of Diamonds Are Forever to watch The Sound of Music.....Yuck.
    10. Did they, now now never seem to close at all.
    11. Yep and when we had pop deliveries too, the Corona and Alpine lorries coming round that was a weekly highlight.

Comment

Originally posted by MommaMystique
      There was no point in waiting to see what the big film would be over Christmas on the telly... it was either Wizard of Oz, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or Mary Poppins........ unfortunately it still is!
      Hey, you forgot Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Great Escape!!

Comment

Originally posted by Elbmek
        Hey, you forgot Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Great Escape!!
        All time classic movie though, like the james Bond, Carry On films too, I could watch them over and over, oooooo er Matron

Comment

Who can forget the classic line in Carry on Cleo (I think?)

Kenneth Williams as Julius "Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it infer me"!!!!

Comment

Re: Things that dont happen anymore

the thing that strikes me locally,is children now do not go around collecting firewood and junk,and building a bonfire on november the fifth anymore.

Comment

'elf un saftee init? Too many rules for kids to be able to grow up now, they have to be nurtured, rapped in cotton wool, counselled and mollycoddled and god help their old man if he cuffs one.

Comment

I was thinking today of things that dont happen anymore.
                6. Listerning to B sides,

Yeah do you remember buying your favourite groups singles just because you could get other tracks not on albums, groups are so lazy these days.
                sigpic

Comment

I think Penny For the Guy can be added to the list because I've not seen anyone wheeling a guy door to door in a wheel barrow (or being carried) in years.

Comment

Things that don't happen anymore:

Originality

Comment

Originally posted by Elbmek View Post

Originality
                      You are certainly right with fashion! In the past few years I have seen 70s and 80s fashion re-invented.
                      sigpic
                      'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by Elbmek View Post

Originality
                        "Suicide Bombers" !! Back in the 70's & 80's the IRA never thought of that!

Comment

Irish Suicide Bombers, come on!!! haha! They never had the guts for anything like that. They were cowards hiding behind skirts of the populace. When I was in Omagh in 74, I was in the Ops Room working and we heard a 'crump' - on investigation, there were the remains of a car a few miles away strewn all over fields and road. It was a suicide attack on the hedges by the PIRA (not to be confused with the IRA which was politicial). A car with 5 bombers in and the bomb prematurely detonated. The 'suicides' were a great success, and we celebrated that day.

Comment

Bit early in the year to be talking about Penny for the Guy, mentioned earlier in this thread. But I think it became obsolete when it was pushed aside by that horrible Trick or Treat.

At least the Penny for the Guy kids didn't knock on your door.

Not my door, anyway.
                            The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

Marillion I agree, seems kids are more interested in trick or treating/halloween these days than bonfire night (how many garden bonfires do you spot these days?).

To me there was nothing better than a family bonfire , Mom handled the cooking (jacket potatoes, hot dogs, chilli and bacon butties with a load of toffee apples to work through too!), Dad got a load of old wooden paletts to burn and all my relatives used to give me money to go and buy fireworks with my parents (while Standard fireworks was still english and still had the blue touch paper!).

Happy memories

Comment

conkering i mentioned it to my 5 yr old and he said lets go and get some the best tree i knew of was on a school field and i said there will be nothing left but he talked me into going and the tree was full even a few kids asked what i was doing when i told them they said oh can't play that at school its against health and safety

Comment

Working...
                                X