Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things that dont happen anymore

Originally posted by anubis68 View Post
    conkering i mentioned it to my 5 yr old and he said lets go and get some the best tree i knew of was on a school field and i said there will be nothing left but he talked me into going and the tree was full even a few kids asked what i was doing when i told them they said oh can't play that at school its against health and safety
    Schools are paranoid about parents suing them if a child gets hurt.Bit different in my day when children still got the cane.
    sigpic

Comment

Kids playing skippy and two balls. Sometimes I feel like buying a few cheap washing lines and some balls and handing them out to kids and teaching them all the old tricks and songs. They'd probably laugh in my face and go to re-apply their makeup before another session on the playstation.

Having said that, I did see some girls in the street twirling jazz band sticks the other day, just like we used to do. I was beside myself with nostalgic pride.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by anubis68 View Post
        conkering i mentioned it to my 5 yr old and he said lets go and get some the best tree i knew of was on a school field and i said there will be nothing left but he talked me into going and the tree was full even a few kids asked what i was doing when i told them they said oh can't play that at school its against health and safety
        all this h and s is so annoying.

so what if a kid grazes his knee from a fall on the playground.
        its all part of school life.

im so glad i grew up when i did.

and if a teacher even touches a pupil to say treat a cut they are afraid to in caes they are brought up for interfering with them.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Respect for Teachers and Police/Authority.

I blame Phil Redman for Grange Hill. Grange Hill showed children challenging the authority of teachers, It also showed teachers as vulnerable people and Vulnerable people are fair game for children. I remember the change at school 3 or 4 episodes into the 1st series. It introduced ideas that just weren't there before, I'm not saying things didn't go on in a small scale before but Grange Hill opened up a debate and I believe that society is a lot worse for that. Grange Hill didn't make the youth bad but it was a catalyst, no matter how good it was to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Oggy View Post
            1. Did they, now now never seem to close at all.
            Because the profits and customers' demands're far more important than the rights of the staff. What they don't realise is that Chirstmas is a time for families, not big companies.
            It wouldn't surprise me if these big supermakerktes wanted it made law that they can open on Christmas, boxing and New Years day ands have an excuse to legally blackmail, threaten or intimdate the staff who turn down the bribes.
            WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

My local ASDA will be closed over Xmas, in fact all shops are, even the asian ones. It always is. And staff, as far as I am aware, are offered the opportunity to work certain days of the year. I work all holidays such as easter christmas etc as its part and parcel of my job, in fact I prefer too.

What does annoy me however, is the signs on Tesco, ASDA, etc that they are open 24/7 when in fact they are not. Saturday night they close at 10pm and do not reopen till 10am the following morning - thats NOT 24/7.

I recall the hell fire and damnation being preached from religious organisations when sunday opening was mooted all those years ago, well, Sainsbury's did not spontaneously ignite did it? Saw a vicar/priest in one on a sunday too!

Comment

Vicars're human too. They get paid to believe in God and Jesus and the devout christians like Cliff Richard (he's the only one I can think of and this is a history website) but it's the 'christians' (i wonder if they get paid to do it, or have licences) that stand around city centres preaching and sayingh I'll burn in hell if I so much as look at a Harry Potter novel (they should see some of what goes on in some of my works of fitcition) that scare me and I wonder if they actaully believe it and're subject to the same laws
                as a buskers?
                WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Christianity is a business not a belief! Throughout the ages people saught to become priests and monks to rule and asvoid taxation and get rich doing nothing.

Comment

this thread seems to be going off topic,please continue this in PM. Thanks
                    Heather

Comment

Oops! Well, actually, to be fair, Chritianity is a topic that 'doesn't happen anymore', but ok.

Comment

Street parties?
                        Power Cuts?
                        Taping the charts off the radio?
                        WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

we have the odd power cut,shame about street parties my first memory was the silver jubilee in 77.

The water being cut off and having to fill pop bottles
                          Heather

Comment

My parents' house has the occasional power cut, about 1 a year.

TV stations loosing sound or vision (& putting up captions to let us know what was wrong) used to happen quite often until the late 1980s, but seems to be a rare event now.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Newsreaders shuffling papers...especially when things go wrong. Lots of them use laptops now but a few still have papers. I reckon they must be like a comfort blanket in times of panic.
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by vanhelsing View Post
                                Taping the charts off the radio?
                                Absolutely, or even taping anything off the radio, with Listen Again etc.

Mentioned in another thread, but going to the paper shop on a Saturday night to get your local Pink football paper (or Green I think in some places), to read reports of that afternoon's matches.

Comment

Working...
                                X