Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Things that dont happen anymore

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
    Going to the airport to watch the planes take off and land. Many airports used to have an observation deck for planespotting. Nowadays you hardly even see any planes unless you're actually taking a flight. At the airport near me there used to be a great view of the tarmac and runway from the top level of the car park but after 9/11 they erected an eight foot wall up there blocking the view
    Back in the 80’s my nearest airport had an outdoor observation deck on the roof. Alternatively you could park up on the road at the end of the runway. There was only a flimsy waist-high barbed wire fence separating the road from the runway.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

Terminal 1 at Manchester airport used to have an observation deck, I'm not sure if it's still there.

There's also a viewing park which I think it still open.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
        And those vending machines that dispense 'Kinder Egg' style plastic eggs containing kiddies watches

I wonder if the watches actually worked, or were they just toys
        I remember wanting the camera!

[

Comment

Originally posted by stu View Post
          I was thinking today of things that dont happen anymore.
          1. Bob a Job:
          2. Knowing all your mates phone numbers off the top of your head
          3. Asking for a quarter of sherbert lemons, from a shop that only sold sweets
          4. Playing the national anthem, in cinemas before a film and last thing at night on the telly
          5. Summer specials of your favourite comics
          6. Listerning to B sides,
          7. Recording the chart on a portable cassette player
          8. Waiting for your favourite single to work its way up the chart
          9. Waiting to see what big film would be on telly at christmas
          10. All shops closing for a week over christmas
          11. Deposits on big bottles of fizzy drink
          Excellent !!

I used to love bob a job ( week) ?

I recall doing some gardening and breaking the guys old wooden wheelbarrow !!!

He wasn't best pleased

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hearing your neighbours through the wall laughing at the same TV show you are watching.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
              Hearing your neighbours through the wall laughing at the same TV show you are watching.
              Wafer thin walls that old houses have. We had the misfortune of living next door to a family with kids and on summer Saturday afternoons, the noise can be so loud.

It reminded me of when I visited a second hand TV warehouse many years ago which sold those old second-hand teak and mahogany TV sets, and most of them had a black remote control which worked almost all TV sets at the time, and I believe that it had two buttons - one for volume and another for changing the channel - anything else you needed to get up to the set itself for the relevant buttons. This wasn't the "One For All" thing from the 1990s where you had to type in a four digit code and wait for the red light to blink, but one that operated all TV sets - rumour had it that it could be powerful enough to change the volume on next door's TV set. In the warehouse they tried one out and several TV sets' volumes went up at the same time!
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Years that start with the two digits of 19...
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                    People cannot go a day without there mobile phone.

Well i can as ive never had one.

Going to a concert or sporting event where no noise is essential but you will hear a mobile phone ring.
                    I was landline until 2013 when I finally got my first mobile phone. Fun Fact: The very first mobile phone call in the UK was made by Ernie Wise in 1985.

Comment

People listening to the same radio station or program happened a lot in the '70s, now it must be pretty rare.
                      My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Not all people but nowadays people dont have a long attention span.

And dont have patience they want everything yesterday, and quite often when a new mobile phone comes out they upgrade because there friends have done so so they feel they must do even if they have had the phone only a few months.

and quite a lot of things now are not built to
                        last e.g washing machines etc.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I sometimes get up in the morning and almost forget what day of the week it is - I have to think what day it was yesterday so that I can link today with that day. And I even think sometimes: "is it the 22nd or the 23rd today?" I hope that this isn't the shape of my health in years to come now I have slowed down slightly.

I am someone who has very little patience - I try and train myself to be patient, (almost as some sort of punishment), and sometimes it backfires while at other times I get rewarded for doing so. Take for granted waiting for an appointment - I just stare at the ceiling until I get seen.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                            I was landline until 2013 when I finally got my first mobile phone. Fun Fact: The very first mobile phone call in the UK was made by Ernie Wise in 1985.
                            Well, it certainly wasn't Eric Morecambe on the other end of the line for obvious reasons as he went the year before...

Funnily enough, I always think of Reg Varney - not when I am a passenger on a bus, but when I use a cashpoint.

I can never get used to mobile phones even though I have one - I am someone who is still very much on a landline.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I haven’t had a land line phone for years. Seems pointless when I have a mobile and I got too many irritating nuisance calls when I had a land line phone, even when I asked to have such calls blocked. I rarely get them on the mobile.
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

At least (as we have been discussing on the Odeon cinema thread) that I wouldn't be caught out if a mobile phone went off - mind you, I don't go to the cinema much these days either.
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X