Things that dont happen anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that dont happen anymore

I was thinking today of things that dont happen anymore.
    1. Bob a Job:
    2. Knowing all your mates phone numbers off the top of your head
    3. Asking for a quarter of sherbert lemons, from a shop that only sold sweets
    4. Playing the national anthem, in cinemas before a film and last thing at night on the telly
    5. Summer specials of your favourite comics
    6. Listerning to B sides,
    7. Recording the chart on a portable cassette player
    8. Waiting for your favourite single to work its way up the chart
    9. Waiting to see what big film would be on telly at christmas
    10. All shops closing for a week over christmas
    11. Deposits on big bottles of fizzy drink
    Last edited by stu; 26-01-2006, 12:07.

so true!!! Although I do know all my friends and families phone numbers I am good at memorising numbers
    No man is worth your tears - and the one who is wont make you cry!

Comment

half day closing seems to be on its way out too, altough in my village some shops do still do it.
      If eight out of ten cats prefer whiskas, do the other two shave or wax?

Comment

Where I live now the shops still close half day wednesday and half day saturday

Comment

some of my villages shops shut on wednesday......not all like it used to be.
          If eight out of ten cats prefer whiskas, do the other two shave or wax?

Comment

I beg to differ with number (3) as I frequently take my kids to a real sweet shop. It's mentioned in another thread on here from waaaaay back!

I can add another though in place...

Knowing that the January Sales will actually start in January!
            TURN THOSE FROWNS RIGHT SIDE ROUND!

Comment

re things that dont happen any more

Originally posted by stu
              I was thinking today of things that dont happen anymore.
              4. Playing the national anthem, in cinemas before a film and last thing at night on the telly
              5. Summer specials of your favourite comics
              7. Recording the chart on a portable cassette player
              11. Deposits on big bottles of fizzy drink
              oh yeah! I`d forgotten all about these things til I read your post.
              I REALLY REALLY miss those Summer Specials like Seaside Special and Summertime Special and all the other great variety shows that used to be on. I grew up watching them all & it was a great era. I think people were happier.
              I wish they`d bring back all those shows. The comedians were of a very high standard back then.

I used to record the chart on to cassette too! Bad girl he he! you`d sit and try not get the dj talking on your tape and be mad as anything if he cut the end off a song! Or sometimes I`d just tape the whole chart if I had bought new tapes.

I remember drinking lots of Tizer, Cream Soda and Irn Bru and always saving the bottles to take back to the shop to get afew pence to spend on sweets.

Comment

I REALLY REALLY miss those Summer Specials like Seaside Special and Summertime Special
                I think Stu was talking about summer special comics like the Dandy and the Beano, rather than the television ones with comedians. At least I think he was.

Comment

On the subject of "specials", believe it or not I really miss those slightly cheesy Christmas specials that used to be shown. Most of them now have absolutely nothing to do with Christmas at all, which, to me anyway, defeats the object of showing them.

Comment

Being able to go out a night, walking, and feel absolutely SAFE.

Comment

Having the football season end BEFORE the cricket season started (and vice versa).

Clive.

Comment

how come when we were at school we looked forward to the start of summer holidays 6 weeks of staying in bed til we want and not doing homework, but once we have kids ourselves those 6 weeks seem so much longer lol, my daughter has just left school and last night she said to me "mum how come there are hardly any kids playing in the parks now" guess its all down to the personal computers they own lol. times change

Comment

Star Wars used to be on TV every Christmas, and up until about 1986 I got Star Wars toys for Christmas. I've now got an attic full of the stuff and i've found it's worth a fortune on ebay!

Someone said that there were still shops that only sell sweets ... well yes there are, but it's now a business based on nostalgia, whereas back in the day it wasn't out of the ordinary or a novelty to see these types of stores.

Comment

How about seeing white dog poo on the pavement? Not a *nice* memory as such, but still, what were they feeding dogs in the seventies??????????

Comment

There was no point in waiting to see what the big film would be over Christmas on the telly... it was either Wizard of Oz, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or Mary Poppins........ unfortunately it still is!
                              sigpic
                              Mrs Oggy
                              ~~~*~~~*~~~
                              Count your friends amongst the stars....
                              And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

Working...
                              X