Things that dont happen anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Things that dont happen anymore

One thing I sorely miss are TV variety shows. I wish we still had those instead of the steady stream of reality shows.

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
      One thing I sorely miss are TV variety shows. I wish we still had those instead of the steady stream of reality shows.
      I dont watch x factor,the voice etc mean nothing to me getting old probably

Comment

Originally posted by jason h View Post
        Magnetic tape hanging from trees. I can't remember the last time I saw that.
        Good one.
        I used to see it all the time, strewn for miles almost.
        There is an industrial estate close to where I grew up, and there was always tape there.

Comment

Manifacturing in Britain we import from around the world but how much do we really export like we used to

Comment

• Warner brothers / looney tunes cartoons shown on tv. Why not ?!

Comment

Originally posted by the fox View Post
              Warner brothers / looney tunes cartoons shown on tv. Why not ?!
              I last remember them being on in about 2006, at the time I just assumed most of them had gone onto the digital channels.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Elevators with elevator operators. The kind that left your stomach on the ground floor every time it stopped.

Comment

Power cuts. Growing up in the 70s/80s I remember so many of these that lasted into the night. It was fun at the time as it was something different and you knew the electricity would come back on eventually. We always kept a box on candles and Cook's Matches in the top cupboard for these eventualities. The water was cut off lots of times as well and I remember hearing a van go around the houses where I lived a few hours before, warning us that it was about to be cut off. I remember my Mum filling up pans of water and even filling the bath too.

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                    I remember the annual airings of The Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind on TV.
                    And don't forget It's A Wonderful Life.

Comment

People taking empty pop bottles back to the shop. We mainly had Ben Shaws pop bottles where I grew up West Yorkshire. When you finished with your bottles, you would take them back to the shop where you bought them form in exchange for a fee - I think it was about 8p on each bottle. Also.. Speaking of Ben Shaw, there was a Ben Shaws pop wagon that used to go around houses delivering pop to people. I think you would pay a weekly/monthly fee for your pop and it would arrive on a wagon. We never had that ourselves but I envied my cousin who's parents paid for their pop this way.

Comment

Originally posted by jason h View Post
                        Power cuts. Growing up in the 70s/80s I remember so many of these that lasted into the night. It was fun at the time as it was something different and you knew the electricity would come back on eventually. We always kept a box on candles and Cook's Matches in the top cupboard for these eventualities. The water was cut off lots of times as well and I remember hearing a van go around the houses where I lived a few hours before, warning us that it was about to be cut off. I remember my Mum filling up pans of water and even filling the bath too.
                        I remember having a few power cuts in the 1980s, then for years we didn't have any, then the odd one in the last few the years before I moved out from my parents.

Another thing that seemed to happen more in the 1980s was loosing TV reception due to bad weather, equipment failure or someone pressing the wrong button etc.

Comment

• That reminds me - crossed lines on phones, where you suddenly spoke to a complete stranger halfway through a call, or found yourself listening in to another conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                            I remember having a few power cuts in the 1980s, then for years we didn't have any, then the odd one in the last few the years before I moved out from my parents.

Another thing that seemed to happen more in the 1980s was loosing TV reception due to bad weather, equipment failure or someone pressing the wrong button etc.
                            One of my neighbours was a big CB radio enthusiast and whenever he was on the air it would interfere with TV reception and you could often hear his conversations.

Comment

I remember my Dad's car radio in the mid 1980s used to pick up minicab radios when searching for stations. It was an early one that could scan for a signal.

Comment

Neighbours popping round for a cup of tea and a chat,nowadays its hello and goodbye when you see them

Comment

Working...
                                X