Things that dont happen anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Things that dont happen anymore

When cars had a distinct silhouette where you could tell at a glance what make it was. Now they all look alike with the same three colours: black, white or silver-gray. Today you could switch the badges and most people probably wouldn't know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
      When cars had a distinct silhouette where you could tell at a glance what make it was. Now they all look alike with the same three colours: black, white or silver-gray. Today you could switch the badges and most people probably wouldn't know the difference.
      So true! I thought it was just me!
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Not only that but cars also had a somewhat unique "national" look. In particular British and American cars had a very distinct appearance from each another.

Comment

Just talking with my supervisor the other day about how generic cars have become. They all look the same to me now. No real class or style of their own. Everybody copying or borrowing from everybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
            Mountain bikes seemed to start the trend for bikes not having mudguards.
            Nah I reckon it started with the BMX. Actually I remember being a bit obsessed with the ‘no mudguard’ thing. I had a fully mudguarded girly shopper bike and thought I could make it look cooler if I could only take the mud guards off and have beautiful baldy wheels. The parents said no...
            1976 Vintage

Comment

Yep. Cars all look more or less the same. I wonder if safety regulations have anything to do with it? Don’t agree on the colours though. Black, white, red and silver are the most popular but I see plenty other colours too.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

People cannot go a day without there mobile phone.

Well i can as ive never had one.

Going to a concert or sporting event where no noise is essential but you will hear a mobile phone ring.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                  Yep. Cars all look more or less the same. I wonder if safety regulations have anything to do with it? Don’t agree on the colours though. Black, white, red and silver are the most popular but I see plenty other colours too.
                  Yes i have to agree, modern cars are so boring, well i think just so ugly. I look at cars today as just another washing machine, just a boring appliance to get from a to b. I love cars but pre 2000 ones.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                    People cannot go a day without there mobile phone.

Well i can as ive never had one.

Going to a concert or sporting event where no noise is essential but you will hear a mobile phone ring.
                    I have a moblie phone an 8 year old Nokia 6700 slide, and i use it for making calls. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                      Men going on holiday in their suits and ties.
                      I suspect that before the widespread use of synthetic materials such a polyester that suits were more comfortable to wear than today. And on that note, I'd like to know what genius thought nylon made a great lining for jackets??? They get too hot and sweaty to wear even when the weather is cold!

Comment

Going to the zoo and seeing any actual animals
                        Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                          Going to the zoo and seeing any actual animals
                          I've got my own zoo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Searching for the blown bulb on the christmas lights
                            Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Going to the airport to watch the planes take off and land. Many airports used to have an observation deck for planespotting. Nowadays you hardly even see any planes unless you're actually taking a flight. At the airport near me there used to be a great view of the tarmac and runway from the top level of the car park but after 9/11 they erected an eight foot wall up there blocking the view

Comment

Going to the airport to watch the planes take off and land. Many airports used to have an observation deck for planespotting. Nowadays you hardly even see any planes unless you're actually taking a flight. At the airport near me there used to be a great view of the tarmac and runway from the top level of the car park but after 9/11 they erected an eight foot wall up there blocking the view
                                Oh yes, I went to City Airport in London, hoping to get some photos of that. I asked the man behind the desk and he said there was no observation deck! I couldn't believe it!

Northolt Airport, on the other hand, is great! It was used during the Battle of Britain and probably hasn't changed much overall since then. I understand it's mainly used for private jets (it was where Princess Diana's body was brought back) and, brilliantly!, they fly over a road, to land about 100-200m away! The road in question is closed for this (controlled by traffic lights) so people won't lose a roof-rack to a passing Lear Jet, but it is still possible to walk there. You can see the jets coming in from quite a way away (weather permitting) and they fly jusy a few tens of feet over your head! Awesome!
                                Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
                                X