Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soft Cell and Marc Almond

Originally posted by themilkman View Post
    'Insecure Me' is my favourite Soft Cell track.
    That song is indeed amazing. Facility Girls is another awesome song, especially the 12" version.

Comment

I was hoping there would be a thread about Marc Almond and if there hadn't been I'd have started one myself. When he burst onto the scene at the beginning of the 80s I found him captivating. This will probably surprise those of you who have read other posts of mine, because I'm quite traditionally masculine and not into camp, but his shape-shifting worked and he was an incredible talent. When I listened to 'Bedsitter' and watched the accompanying video I wanted to give him a big hug, tell him he wasn't 'all alone' and help him 'cook a meal'. He brought his bedsit dwelling clubber to life and made him real rather than a stereotype. There was also his beautiful Northern accent and the spelling of Marc with a 'c' (in real life he's Mark with a 'k' but that changes nothing). He's just as special for me now as he was then - I read a long interview with him recently and heard him singing Russian songs from the early C20.

Marc - you're a legend!

Comment

I also thought of Marc the day after the EU Referendum because now we're "all alone in Brexitland, [our] only home".

Comment

Marc is 60 years old - hard to believe how quickly the years pass! He still has an engaging vulnerability and a sexy Northern accent.

Comment

Never a huge fan but I like some Soft Cell choons...
            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

My favourite song from Marc Bolan has to be Tainted Love
              sigpic
              Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Apparently Marc Almond began spelling his name with a c in honour of Marc Bolan (original name Mark Feld).

Comment

Wasn't Marc Almond or Bolan originally T-Rex?
                  sigpic
                  Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                    Wasn't Marc Almond or Bolan originally T-Rex?
                    Marc Bolan. Marc Almond idealised Bolan in his youth which is why he began to spell Mark with a 'c'. As Mark Feld had done when he became Marc Bolan.

Comment

What a group and singer Marc was with Soft Cell especially Tainted Love

I am a fan of all the New Romantics of that era with Soft Cell, Tears For Fears in particulary as well as spandeau Ballet - more so when Martin Kemp hit his highest fame since "Spandeau" in EastEnders in the late 1990 and became enthraled by their Music too then

80s Chav

Comment

Can't say I was ever a fan, but he devoted an entire album to covers of Jacques Brel songs, so he obviously had some good taste!

Comment

Where The Heart Is makes for a great tune. I saw it being mimed to on TOTP2 I think or Sounds Of The Eighties back in the '90s. It's on my USB player in my car.

Comment

Working...
                          X