Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft Cell and Marc Almond

Well.....

I cannot believe that there is a music site that doesnt mention Marc and Dave and Soft Cell.

'Say Hello', 'Bedsitter', 'What', 'Torch', and 'Tainted Love'.....

Marc's first time on Top Of The Pops and our mums and dads saying 'what does he look like'..... Dad's even whispering distainfully that he just might be 'one of those'..... Dave simpering on the Synth in the background!

My fav is 'Soul Inside'. It is a triumph of teen angst with its wonderful chaos of sounds and words.....

marcalmond.co.uk - The Official Marc Almond website

Where are all the 'Baby Dolls', 'Gutter Hearts' and of course.... 'Sex Dwarfs'??

Kevin xx
    Attached Files

Re: Soft Cell and Marc Almond

It was trashy, camp, funny and wonderful......

Marc Almond and Jimi Sommerville singing "I Feel Love" on TOTP!
    Loved it!!
    I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

Say Hello Wave Goodbye is a beautiful song
      here

LIVE version
      sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

I like Say Hello, Wave Goodbye but don't much care for Tainted Love. My all-time favourite is The Girl With the Patent Leather Face (a song they made before hitting the big time).

I always thought that Dave Ball was grossly under-represented - he is a great keyboardist, imo he got a rough deal with Almond hogging the limelight.

Btw, my wife has met Marc Almond (and I'm envious about that).
        Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiop View Post
          I like Say Hello, Wave Goodbye but don't much care for Tainted Love. My all-time favourite is The Girl With the Patent Leather Face (a song they made before hitting the big time).

I always thought that Dave Ball was grossly under-represented - he is a great keyboardist, imo he got a rough deal with Almond hogging the limelight.

Btw, my wife has met Marc Almond (and I'm envious about that).
          And I've met Dave Ball. Great guy. I still owe him a bunch of pints, and he actually gave me his card and told me I should call up his studio if i wanted some work, but I didn't have the guts to.

Stupid me.
          Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

Tainted Love is one of the first songs I remember being a hit.

For years I liked Torch even though it got no airplay after being a hit.

Years later my Dad got a tape of their hits out from the library & it was great to hear it again.

I've got the special edition of Non Stop Erotic Cabaret, that's more or less a greatest hits with the added bonus tracks.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Saw their final show at the Hammersmith Palais, then they came back as nearly all bands do.. must say I have no interest in them these days

Comment

Originally posted by ridski View Post
                And I've met Dave Ball. Great guy. I still owe him a bunch of pints, and he actually gave me his card and told me I should call up his studio if i wanted some work, but I didn't have the guts to.

Stupid me.
                Great! Wish I could meet him. My wife met Almond because her next door neighbour was one of his roadies. He was sat on the gate outside her house - she never had the guts to ask him for an autograph but she threatened to push him off the gate for a joke, lol.
                Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
                  Say Hello Wave Goodbye is a beautiful song

Totally agree.

I love Marc's voice and this is him at his best.
                  sigpic
                  'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

I'm a massive Soft Cell fan and I love Marc Almond's solo stuff as well. This Last Night In Sodom is one of my favorite albums EVER and highly underrated... it's much grittier and darker than the stuff Soft Cell are best remembered for, almost more rock 'n' roll than synthpop.

I've met Marc Almond in person as well. He's lovely.

Comment

thought this might be of some interest:

Marc Almond meets fans at HMV’s Oxford Street store

WHAT: Signing session

WHERE: HMV London, 150 Oxford Street W1

WHEN: Monday 7th September 2009 at 6.00 pm

Legendary singer songwriter , Marc Almond, celebrates the release of his new album, ‘Orpheus In Exile’, by meeting fans at HMV’s flagship Oxford Street store, in London’s West End on Monday 7th September 2009.

Marc Almond, whose career has spanned almost 30 years and sold in excess of 35 million records, will be at the store from 6.00 pm to meet fans and sign copies of his new album which is released the same day.

For the new ‘Orpheus In Exile’ album, Marc has joined creative forces with Russian producer and musical arranger Alexei Fedorov who shares both Marc's love of Kozin - the Soviet era's much-loved, exiled then forgotten singer of Gypsy Folk and Russian Torch Song Romances - and his aim to help bring his repertoire to a new audience. The songs have been specially translated for Marc and have never been sung in English before.

Comment

yup, had the new album Orpheus signed by the great man himself, , he is also appearing at Camdens Roundhouse, 1st of November........yaaay

Comment

I used to know Marc very well,and I still live in his home town of Southport.

I remember going to his very early gigs in the Lancaster bar in the town.

I have all his albums and singles.
                          Super talented singer and songwriter.
                          Wake up it's time to get high!

Comment

soft cell ahhhh i have fond memories from the time of 'tainted love'...'say hello' and 'bedsitter'.............fab!!

Comment

'Insecure Me' is my favourite Soft Cell track.

Comment

Working...
                              X