Ladybird Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ladybird Books

Chrisredditch thanks for that link. I actually found that site by chance ages ago and have spent hours trying to find it again. I love the way you can look through all the illustrations.
    My favourite story when I was very young for some reason was 'The Three billy Goats Gruff'..however I soon progressed to 'Snow White', 'Cinderella' and 'Sleeping Beauty' when my girliness kicked in. My cousin had the Nursery Rhyme ones, some great pictures in them.

Comment

I used to love the Peter and Jane books, just for the illustrations. I had a lot of the fairy tale books. I used to esp like Cinderella and the princess and the frog. The one thing I remember being really scared of is the wolf from little red riding hood, it gave me a fear of the dark as I used to imagine the wolf coming round my bedroom door at night!

Comment

I had a few ladybird books and loved them, though mainly for the pictures rather than the stories. Ones that stick in my memory are The Elves and the Shoemaker, The Gingerbread Man and Cinderella. The latter was my fave with Cinderella in a variety of lovely dresses.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

I've just had a look at the link to some of the illustrations and there it is, the ladybird first picture book with the cat on the cover and within is my nemesis...comb and brush! For the life of me I could not read this simple string of words when wobbling on my mother's knee at 3. The frustration has come back instantly! I also had the telling the time book.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

My family had loads of Ladybird Books.

I remember the Talkabout series the Peter & Jane storybooks.

My Brother had a few Olympics & World Cup books, where you could write in all the results.

Most of them are still in my parents' loft, but the very well written The Story Of Our Canals is on a bookshelf.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My most sentimental book of the series is the A,B,C one, my Mum taught me how to read, write and speak using it....

I loved the illustrations in Ladybird books. I had the Mummy Horror Classics one too, The Policeman one, Warwick The King Maker, Charles the II, Ladybird also did Action Force ones I think, I had two. Also had The Transformers The Movie one too. I also had a Batman one with him up against The Penguin....

Did anyone have The Lonely Donkey? Did it end happily? I hope so....Or any of the Hannibal books they did? Why did he run away? lol.

Comment

I had lots of ladybird books........i love looking at the memorabilia in the shops......brings back lots of memories

Comment

The Ladybird Horror Classics series was amazing.

Comment

There are over 2000 Ladybird books for sale at this great site including the horror classics. True nostalgia.

Comment

I had the 'Read It Yourself' range. Think I had just about all of them in the range. I loved them. I used to get one a week. I have always loved reading and these were the foundation for this along with the 'Blackberry Farm' range (not Ladybird).
                      Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Now you mention the 'Read It Yourself' range I seem to remember having some of these. The left page was a simplified big text story with illustrations, while the right page was the story for advanced readers. The covers on these books in particular was light blue. I'm thinking that one of them was about a green monster that could turn invisible, I recall this story as for some reason I think it was tied into some educational program at the time. I think the monster was a Gryphon or something like that, it would be invisible apart from it's ears or tail dependant on where you were in the book.

Comment

these 3 where my faves The Elves and the Shoemaker, The Gingerbread Man and Cinderella.
                          to be honest i can remember anymore than these.
                          and i remember when younger having loads of ladybird books.

cant really remember what the talkabout series was about.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I had a bit of a rummage and come up with this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Puddle_Lane_books

I think the book I'm referring to about the gryphon's was either The Vanishing Monster or Two Green Ears.

Comment

I used to love the Learn To Read - Peter & Jane books. I was particularly keen on the Martin Aitcheson illustrated versions from the 1970s - the family in the books owned an orange Austin Maxi, then later a beige Ford Fiesta. I think Aitcheson's style has had an effect on the way I illustrate - people always comment on the retro style my work has to it, and I often use this by incorporating '70s/'80s cars and fashions into my illustrations, just to complete the feel.

I still have two Ladybird photographic books on The Police Force and The Fire Service. The first of these features a couple of pages of photos of Police Allegros and Cortina Mk4s and 5s. I've also recently bought 'Tootles The Taxi' (which I had as a child), and 'Road Sense' (likewise).
                              "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

My parents have still got Tootles The Taxi (50s 60s version) & Road Sense around. On bookshelves rather than in the attic so it's easy to access them.
                                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                                X