Ladybird Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ladybird Books

I loved Ladybird Books so much when I was little, I now collect them. I have completed many of the series and am trying to collect the most elusive now, usually at a very high price!
    My favourites as a child were The Enormous Turnip, The Gingerbread Boy (cocky little sod) and The Magic Porridge Pot.

Comment

how many of them have you now actual ladybird books.
      i can well imagine some sell for quite a high price.
      been collecting them long PINNEY.

I lovwed these books when i wa younger.
      wish id kept mine.
      i justread them over and over.

Originally posted by Pinney68 View Post
      I loved Ladybird Books so much when I was little, I now collect them. I have completed many of the series and am trying to collect the most elusive now, usually at a very high price!
      My favourites as a child were The Enormous Turnip, The Gingerbread Boy (cocky little sod) and The Magic Porridge Pot.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I haven't counted them but I imagine its near to a thousand now.
        Cinderella is always a good seller from series 606D. Check them out on ebay, I've seen them go for £20+. I once sold a Musicians of Bremen for £15 and it wasn't anything special. They have become extemely popular over the last few years as people like myself have got into nostalgia in a big way.

Comment

Primary school had lots of them and they seemed to form a part of our primary school education.Peter and jane as a nice person reminded me earlier in the thread.Have happy memories of reading these at primary school,althow I did struggle a bit in my first year,lol.We also had many of them at home which came from the schools jumble sales in the 70's or gifts and these were added to by my younger brothers and sisters over the years.They have since been passed on to my nieces who still use them.

Comment

I like that Humpty Avatar - where'd you get him? Is the actual one in it yours? (The fat egged sod!)....Are your books in perfect condition or any old sort? I used to have The Gingerbread Boy - he was cocky - do you think it served him right at the end? I used to have the books on Policemen, Warwick The King Maker, Kings and Queens, Charles II, The Princess and The Pea (she was a freeloader that one, what a con artist!), Learn A,B,C, and a few others. The illustrations were lovely. The book on computers was even used by the MOD - they just printed it with blank brown covers for them!

Comment

I recently got Ladybird's Making a Transistor Radio and Simple Electronics from Amazon for about £2 or £3.

From Simple Electronics by G.C. Dobbs (1979)

Comment

think you want to count them you might be shocked how many you actually have.
                so how long you been collecting them hun.
                so even if they average 2 quid per book thats 2 grand you have spent.

I haven't counted them but I imagine its near to a thousand now.
                Cinderella is always a good seller from series 606D. Check them out on ebay, I've seen them go for £20+. I once sold a Musicians of Bremen for £15 and it wasn't anything special. They have become extemely popular over the last few years as people like myself have got into nostalgia in a big way.

Comment

I've re-discovered a good few whilst clearing dad's: it's been truly sad, but on the up-side, I wept with joy at finding "Tiptoes the Mischievous Kitten," "Mick the Disobedient Puppy," "Five Little Kittens," "Lost at the Fair," "Bunnykins' Picnic Party," "Cinderella" (she went to three balls in this version, each gown lovelier than the previous one), as well as some of the factual ones: "Rocks and Minerals" and "Musical Instruments" are very well-thumbed! The price on the cover of most of these is 2'6, and most are in reasonable condition, although obviously well-loved.
                  Looking at them now, the pictures are so intricate and detailed, with a definite innocence about them.

Comment

Can't remember where I got my Humpty avatar from, think it was google. Not many are in perfect condition but they are all in good condition. I have more than one copy of most of my books and obviously some are near perfect and some are not.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                      think you want to count them you might be shocked how many you actually have.
                      so how long you been collecting them hun.
                      so even if they average 2 quid per book thats 2 grand you have spent.
                      I didn't spend 2 quid on average. Some were more than that, others I got as a job lot at charity shops and boot sales. It's amazing what people get rid of. It's true what they say about one mans' rubbish is another mans' treasure. (Or woman in my case)

Comment

I remember James May on one of his shows about boys or girls toys of old actually went to Ladybird Books and got to see the original artwork done for the books - thats what most people remember isn't it? The wonderful artwork...I can still remember the beautiful, yet rain - bedraggled raven haired girl at the door in the pouring rain in 'The Princess and the Pea', the wonderful art in 'Warwick The King Maker' and wishing I could wear such armour when I was a child...

Comment

thats true one persons rubbish is another's treasure.

and as the yrs go on you appreciate these ladybird books more.

to me kids of all generations will love the stories and as they get older appreciate the lovely artwork.

you could do a lot worse than read yur kids stries and eventually pass these books on to your kids.

I didn't spend 2 quid on average. Some were more than that, others I got as a job lot at charity shops and boot sales. It's amazing what people get rid of. It's true what they say about one mans' rubbish is another mans' treasure. (Or woman in my case)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ladybird books.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	260114The ones I've managed to get to at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by Tortie View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]3403[/ATTACH]The ones I've managed to get to at the moment
                              The yellow covered ones look very old, before the Ladybird series numbers started by the looks.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

The yellow ones are from series 401 and are quite old. The Cinderella is one that always goes for a good price on Ebay. I once sold one for over £20. Not bad when I picked it up for 10p at a car boot.

Comment

Working...
                                X