Black and White Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black and White Films

I know this has nothing to do with 70-90,s but maybe someone would like to discuss this subject anyway

I love to watch the old black and white films

Just to name a few

Norman Wisdom as Norman Pitkin great british comedy of the 50,s,Trouble in store,The Early bird etc

Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple

Ealing comedies Lavender hill mob,lady killers

St Trinians

What are your favorites?

Re: Black and White Films

Any James Cagney gangster film:-
    White Heat
    Public Enemy
    Angels with Dirty Faces

Whistle Down the Wind with Hayley Mills
    All the Ealing Comidies
    Dambusters
    The Cruel Sea

I could list 1000's
    I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

I also like whistle down the wind with Hayley Mills good film
      Tiger Bay with John and Hayley mills

The Train-Burt Lancaster
      Key Largo-Humphrey Bogart watched that last night
      African Queen-Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn

Carry on films

Comment

I loved the old Norman Wisdom films when I was younger, the BBC would usually show them now and again during the afternoon sometimes in the school holidays. I remember recording a few of them on tape and getting one of them for Christmas one year, I think it was called 'On the Beat' where he joins the police force. I can remember watching the one where Norman Wisdom/Norman Pitkin joins the navy, I absolutely loved this film and if I remember correctly it also starred a young John Briggs/Mike Baldwinn.

Comment

there must be hundreds, maybe thousands of great B&W films (I try to tell my kids that just because it isn't in colour, doesn't mean its not a great storyline)

A lot of the vintage comedy films stand out for me: Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello (..meet The Wolfman, meet The Mummy etc etc) , Will Hay (Ask A Policeman, Where's That Fire, Oh Mr Porter! etc) , the Marx Brothers, most of the Ealing Stuff

off top of my head also: most Hitchock films esp The Lady Vanishes, The 39 Steps.....a load of old war films ..The Cruel Sea, Ice Cold in Alex,The Longest Day,

oh & Dr Strangelove of course (oh not old of course, but: Schindler's List)
          sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Ice cold in Alex another good film

Laurel and Hardy films especially the one Saps at sea

Norman Wisdom my favorite was I think it was called the early bird where he was a milkman working for Mr GrimsdaleNelly the horse where norman Puts nelly to bed it was funny

There was also films with Stanley Baker cant remember the names off by heart,Dirk Bogarde which were good also

Thanks for the response keep them coming and keep on watching them

Comment

Most of the B&W ones I like have already been mentioned, but other favourites of mine include:

Citizen Kane
              Casablanca
              The original Godzilla
              Psycho
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

How about

Some like it hot-Marilyn Monroe,Tony Curtis,Jack Lemmon
                Two way stretch-Peter Sellers
                Heavens Above-Peter Selllers
                Hard days night-Beatles
                Help-Beatles
                Operation Amsterdam
                How green was my valley

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                  How about

Some like it hot-Marilyn Monroe,Tony Curtis,Jack Lemmon
                  Two way stretch-Peter Sellers
                  Heavens Above-Peter Selllers
                  Hard days night-Beatles
                  Help-Beatles
                  Operation Amsterdam
                  How green was my valley
                  Help is a lovely FAB colour film

Comment

12 angry men
                    Double indemnity
                    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by chrisredditch View Post
                      Help is a lovely FAB colour film
                      See what you got to keep in mind is a lot if these films were watched on black and white tellies in like sixties/early 70's before colour telly got affordable so the 'DYR genetic memory' is that the actual films were B&W

I myself have re-watched old movies on TCM etc and been surprised to see they were colour and always had been!
                      (I always check to ensure thay hadn't been enhanced / colourised at a later stage )

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                        See what you got to keep in mind is a lot if these films were watched on black and white tellies in like sixties/early 70's before colour telly got affordable so the 'DYR genetic memory' is that the actual films were B&W

I myself have re-watched old movies on TCM etc and been surprised to see they were colour and always had been!
                        (I always check to ensure thay hadn't been enhanced / colourised at a later stage )
                        The thread is about b/w films - didn't mention TV
                        Help is a colour film (and so is The African Queen I think) regardless of whether or not you saw it on a b/w TV.
                        Seeing colour TV's have been the norm for about 30 years now I think some of these films would have been repeated enough to clarify their colour status.

Comment

I have a growing collection of old/b&w films.
                          50s/60s sc/fi uk and usa are my favourite at the moment.
                          regards,Frame.
                          "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

And the greatest B/W film of all time.....

Plan 9 from Outer Space!

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
                              there must be hundreds, maybe thousands of great B&W films (I try to tell my kids that just because it isn't in colour, doesn't mean its not a great storyline)

A lot of the vintage comedy films stand out for me: Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello (..meet The Wolfman, meet The Mummy etc etc) , Will Hay (Ask A Policeman, Where's That Fire, Oh Mr Porter! etc) , the Marx Brothers, most of the Ealing Stuff

off top of my head also: most Hitchock films esp The Lady Vanishes, The 39 Steps.....a load of old war films ..The Cruel Sea, Ice Cold in Alex,The Longest Day,

oh & Dr Strangelove of course (oh not old of course, but: Schindler's List)
                              some more came to mind: Harvey (James Stewart & his 6ft invisible rabbit) ..oh also Its a Wonderful Life
                              12 Angry Men
                              Roman Holiday
                              All Quiet on the Western Front...amazing film for its time
                              The Bells of St Marys..love Ingrid Bergman in this..fav bit where she (shes a nun, remember!) teaches the kid to box
                              sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Working...
                              X