Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soap Characters 70-90s

Originally posted by chrisredditch View Post
    I've met Paul Henry (Benny) a few times as he used to live near me and we shared the same Pub!
    He's a real friendly Guy - Shakesperian actor to boot and also Ronnie Barkers first choice to play Lennie Godber in Porridge
    I've always thought Richard Beckinsale, although good, didn't have the right look for Godber. I'm with Ronnie, PH would have fit the bill. I can only vaguely remember him as Benny in Crossroads. I never took much notice of the show but my nanna always had it on. I named her budgie after Benny.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

Patricia from Sons and Daughters... greatest soap character all the way. The biggest bitch ever in soap world yet somehow irresistably sexy at the same time

Comment

Barry Grant From Brookside was Excellent.

Loved Eddie Yates from Corrie.

Comment

I loved Sister Scott in 'Young Doctors'.

Comment

i was in Blackpool 1971 with my parents North shore when two coaches pulled up on the sea front.They contained the cast of coronation street in what i believe was a week long special?I remember At least most of the then current regulars on the coaches.
            sigpic

Comment

I can't stand gail in Corrie. I stop watching when she's in the main storyline. She looks as old as her mother Audry who must be 70 + and still working!
              I'd love to know how many bedrooms they have as some houses accommodate loads of people. Like No1 with the Barlows, Peter and Simon, at one point and Blanche.
              The people of Oman don't like the Flintstones but the people of Abu Dhabi do!

Comment

Gail is one ugly creature she looks like ET after a stroke, where do the peeps in Corrie park their Cars too? cause you never see them outside the houses in the street.

I always liked Trevor in Eastenders he was soo evil he was great.

Comment

Originally posted by Jingbang View Post
                  Gail is one ugly creature she looks like ET after a stroke, where do the peeps in Corrie park their Cars too? cause you never see them outside the houses in the street.

I always liked Trevor in Eastenders he was soo evil he was great.
                  I agree. I used to work at Granada Studios Tour and saw the cast a lot, she is soooooo up herself she can taste her own poo and those blinks!!!!Urgh!!!!!
                  The people of Oman don't like the Flintstones but the people of Abu Dhabi do!

Comment

I would like to know what the characters in Coronation Street used to watch at 7.30pm, on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday?

Comment

I used to be obsessed with Families. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Families_%28TV_series%29

That show was better than any of them, particularly the story around Charles Bannerman having an affair with his son's fiancee. When all that came out, it was a brilliant episode.
                      Jude Law was in the early episodes, but he wasn't great in it, you'd never guess he would be the one to go on to major fame. Anyone else a fan of this show in the 90s?

Comment

Yes stockportyears! I loved Morag Hood and thought the series was pretty good generally. As well as Jude Law, there was the guy who played his brother, who was in quite a successful band at the time. My memory is that I enjoyed the earlier episodes more than the later ones. I used to be able to play the theme on my piano!

The series lasted about two years, didn't it?

Comment

Who remembers Bea, Lizzie and `The Freak`, Ferguson from Prisoner Cell Block H? I thought it was quite a good programme although amateurish. I spent many a late night watching this.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                            Yes stockportyears! I loved Morag Hood and thought the series was pretty good generally. As well as Jude Law, there was the guy who played his brother, who was in quite a successful band at the time. My memory is that I enjoyed the earlier episodes more than the later ones. I used to be able to play the theme on my piano!

The series lasted about two years, didn't it?
                            Martin Glyn Murray was in the Mock Turtles who did 'Can You Dig It' in 1991. I remembered when that was on Top of the Pops, I had no idea it was actually him and remember thinking 'wow, he's the spitting image of that guy in Families', then I found out a few years later it was him.

It was on for three years, must have gone quickly it was so good!

I seem to remember it had some of the best looking people you could find anywhere on tv in it - even the scruffy bloke who ran the pub had two beautiful daughters, and of course the Bannermans were probably the most glamorous people in the whole of northern England at that time.

I probably preferred the later era with the Bannermans in it, but the early eps were good too, and Edward Woodward's son had a voice so much like his dad, I could shut my eyes and think I was watching the Equaliser!

I also liked it because I recognised the locations - as well as Tatton Park mentioned in the Wikipedia article, there was one scene between Charles and Fiona at Stockport Railway Station, and the corridors of Crown Court where Charles did his lawyering were actually Manchester Town Hall - I purposely made a call from the very same phone kiosk as CB had in one episode, just for the hell of it, THAT'S how obsessed with Families I was at the time!

Comment

Wow, you recall a lot more than I. Though I really was a big fan at the time. Yes, Martin Glyn Murray. That was the guy. I've been Googling for some nice pics, but there's practically nothing!

Comment

I found this one of Glyn Murray:

Comment

Working...
                                X