Soap Characters 70-90s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soap Characters 70-90s

Elsie and Ena.........legendary Corrie characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Krazy View Post
      Who remembers Bea, Lizzie and `The Freak`, Ferguson from Prisoner Cell Block H? I thought it was quite a good programme although amateurish. I spent many a late night watching this.
      I loved Prisoner Cell Block H ! I wish they'd repeat it. I know they can be bought on dvd but it's not something I'd watch repeatedly (I tend to look at sit coms over and over), but would like to see it just one more time.
      It used to be on so late. I was always so tired the next day at school !
      Vera Bennet and Lizzie Birdsworth were my faves. I also liked nice Meg, and Judy. And loved to hate Joan.

Comment

Patrick from Eastenders with his hilarious, almost Jamaican accent.

Comment

You can't beat a bit of Nick Cotton "Ello, Maa". Definitely one of soap's greatest villains.

Another question though, where does Phil Mitchell get all his cash? The bloke always waltzes round the square, acting like he owns the place with his pockets always full of cash. If anybody is a bit hard up, Phil is always there with a handout. The bloke owns a garage and did own the cafe for a bit but the man's bank balance is seemingly bursting.

Corrie is my fave though, it has plenty of laughs and likeable characters whereas Eastenders is just grim.

Comment

Jimmy Corkhill from Brookside who forged a degree to become a teacher after all the robberies and drugs

Comment

There were a lot of memorable 'characters' on the soaps... Maude Grimes in the wheelchair on Corrie was a sort of modern Ena Sharples with something to complain about! I remember she set Jim McDonald straight who was feeling sorry for himself because he was temporarily in a wheelchair. On Emmerdale there was Seth Armstrong. In the '70s there was Sam the grandad and his sheepdog, and of course the sometimes tetchy pub owner Amos Brierley. One 'character' I really found irritating was Reg Holdsworth on Coronation Street, he seemed like a drooling turtle, I used to change the channel when he came on, Les Battersby came close to that a few times. Phyliss chasing Percy Sugden was a running theme for few years on Corrie too.

I always wondered what the story was behind that Sinbad bloke on Brookside. It seemed to me he was well known somewhere outside of the show and I didn't know about it, but maybe I'm wrong. He was on the run with those Jordaches or something while their back yard was being excavated.
              My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

In the 70s and 80s I watched Coronation Street, Emmerdale Farm, Crossroads regularly, and Eastenders, Neighbours and some others on a less regular basis. In the 90s I more or less gave up on soaps. But there are so many characters...

David Hunter, Miss Diane, Meg Richardson, Sandy Richardson, Jill Richardson, Shughie McPhee, Mr Lovejoy, Carlos from Crossroads.

Amos, Mr Wilkes, Seth, Dolly, Matt, Jackie Merrick and his sister from Emmerdale Farm.

The Ogdens. Len Fairclough, Ray Langton, Jerry Booth, Suzy Birchall, Minnie Caldwell, Ena Sharples, Elsie Tanner, Curly Watts and Raquel, from Coronation Street.

For me, Coronation Street in the 70s was the best, with so many really great characters, and a fine mixture of drama and humour, rather than the constant state of crisis soaps seem to now require.

Comment

Nichole Dixon plated Bobby in Home & Away until Bobby got run over in the sea by a jet ski & died
                  sigpic
                  Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Kylie and Jason Donovan in Neighbours

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                      Kylie and Jason Donovan in Neighbours
                      Their time on Neighbours as Scott & Charline was it's golden age, & almost everyone my age seemed to be crazy over it.

I remember the BBC used to boast it was getting more people watching in the UK than the entire population of Australia.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Neighbours, being shown twice per day by the BBC, spawned the classic jok:

Why is Neighbours shown two times each day?

Because you can't believe what you've just seen the first time.

More characters:

Miss Luke from Crossroads, played by Kathy Staff (Nora Batty)
                        Valerie Hunter, David Hunter's crazy wife, from Crossroads
                        Alan Howard, Elsie Tanner's husband.

Comment

I could have sworn the Lunch time showing was different to the morning one?

I used to watch both when i left school and didn't have a job, breakfast with neighbours, lunch with neighbours.

Comment

I think you are right, Mulletino, but that would have spoiled the joke . I do get muddled between characters in Neighbours and Home and Away. The one I liked best as I thought she was gorgeous was Daphne in, I think, Neighbours. She was an ex-stripper, married some bloke and died in an accident. I didn't watch it much after she was written out. There was also an aussie soap shown during daytime on ITV called The Sullivans, set in the 40s.

A couple of other ITV daytime soaps were The Cedar Tree and Take the High Road, both probably familiar to kids on school holidays or off school for other reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                              I could have sworn the Lunch time showing was different to the morning one?

I used to watch both when i left school and didn't have a job, breakfast with neighbours, lunch with neighbours.
                              The mid morning episode of Neighbours was a repeat of the one shown the previous lunchtime.

Recently I was looking up all the pre-Neighbours Australian soaps, like The Sullivans, The Young Doctors, Sons & Daughters & A Country Practice.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

That's funny, as I thought the Neighbours screenings were lunchtime and after the childrens' programmes, around 5.35pm or so. Maybe they changed the timings at some stage--my memories are from around 1985 or so.

I remember The Young Doctors. It predated Neighbours by a few years and was shown on Central/ATV in the early 80s.

Comment

Working...
                                X