Soap Characters 70-90s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soap Characters 70-90s

This is probably a long , long, long shot but is related to one character I am trying to recall from Nrighbours around 1994/1995 who had one episode or 3 at most (and i can visualize him in the coffee Shop) like it was Yesteday. This was around the Danni/Brett/Cody (Mk1), Darren era just before the Kennedy's arrived

If anyone/body is an extremley dye-hard fan of Neighbours and can recall this era better than Me 9asi am sure some can) please PM, as I have a serious question that has bugged me all these years siince then (but I am un-prepared to disscuss it allowed) on the Forum for fear of being shouted down etc, but I am sure too though any real Neighbours fan, just like of any programme would/will appreciate me replying like this in the thread (as as though I was'nt an A1 Fan) I was pretty dedicated and very loyal to it between 1992 and 199/200 when the calibre of replacement characters began

Thanks in advance for any replies,

80sChav

Comment

There was one soap opera which we watched together as an entire family from when it first aired in 1978. We had one colour 24" tv. We tuned in to BBC1.
      The show was Dallas.

Comment

Sarah Sugden on Emmerdale played by Madelaine Howard, later played by Alison Spyro.
        sigpic
        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Amy Turtle, Stan Harvey (who married Jill Richardson), Vince the postman, Meg Richardson's sister--can't recall her name from Crossroads. Anyone remember Arthur Brownlow in Crossroads being accused of sexual assault by nasty Iris in the early 80s? It caused a bit of a stir and you could buy "Arthur Brownlow is Innocent" T-shirts.

Jackie Merrick's sister in Emmerdale was called, I think, Sandy or Sandie. Seem to remember she got pregnant in one storyline while still a teenager.

Elsie Tanner's grandson coming to stay with her in the early 80s and working as Len Fairclough's apprentice while Eddie Yeates got the push. Elsie's grandson had a girlfriend who worked at Baldwin's Casuals. He invited her to Elsie's for a night of romance, plied her with booze and elsie caught them, whereupon said girlfriend was sick in Elsie's front room.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
            I could have sworn the Lunch time showing was different to the morning one?

I used to watch both when i left school and didn't have a job, breakfast with neighbours, lunch with neighbours.
            Par a few editiation things both was the same Mullentino mate. Though I hated how they'd edit thepre-view before the actual episode that sort of delved (for want of a better word) into the last one's ending!

Talking of Neighbours - given your a native Down-Under now mate - what arre your thoughts, as though I have only watched it a handful of times since 2005, it seems to have woken from it's big sleep/slumber here in the UK I think (and though they will never manage all the original actors of origiginal parts) I am impressed by Brad returning and Lucy on/off, even though Brad is a new Brad - I can buy into this actor given Scott Michaelson would never have stayed Blonde forever most likley

Though it would be good be good to see the other Wills' return - though the flock has dwindled a lot, Gaby was mentioned in an an English Soap Mag and I am sure Adam could be re-cast and may-be bring Cousion Cameron back to wreck a bit more havock/chaos too

Sadly though cody died on-screen they got an amazing actress there in Peta Brady, who they let go way too soon and took Cody to amazing herights after Cody numberr 1 I thought!

80sChav

Comment

From Corrie:

Percy "I'll bid you good day" Sugden
              Mike "a packet of my cigars" Baldwin.
              Alf "Corner Shop" Roberts.

From PCBH:

Lexie "It stinks" Patterson.
              Chrissie "Elizabeth" Latham.
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Right now they have Mike Baldwin's son Adam on Corrie who's Grandad is Ken Barlow. He's scheming to get the factory after having helped it get cleared out by thieves who also took it's roof off. Coronation Street likes to keep ties to long ago characters it seems but I've always wondered if anyone would remember Gary & (r.i.p.)Judy Malett's twins Billy and Becky and bring them back.

I've been watching old Brookside in order on youtube. Lucy just went to a CND rally in town (Liverpool) and there was hardly anyone there. This was a spring 1983 episode.
                My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                  From Corrie:

Percy "I'll bid you good day" Sugden
                  Mike "a packet of my cigars" Baldwin.
                  Alf "Corner Shop" Roberts.

From PCBH:

Lexie "It stinks" Patterson.
                  Chrissie "Elizabeth" Latham.

Percy Sugden's other saying was that he had made gravy under fire. I seem to remember a storyline around the 50th anniversary of the Battle of El Alamein about a German character being introduced for a short time--was he also at Alamein? I can't remember anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                    Percy Sugden's other saying was that he had made gravy under fire. I seem to remember a storyline around the 50th anniversary of the Battle of El Alamein about a German character being introduced for a short time--was he also at Alamein? I can't remember anymore.
                    Could it have been one of these characters? - http://coronationstreet.wikia.com/wiki/Billy_Williams or http://coronationstreet.wikia.com/wiki/Archie_Wardle

They don't seem German to me, mind you.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Could it have been one of these characters? - http://coronationstreet.wikia.com/wiki/Billy_Williams or http://coronationstreet.wikia.com/wiki/Archie_Wardle

They don't seem German to me, mind you.

No, he was definitely German, but may have only appeared in one or two episodes...thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                        No, he was definitely German, but may have only appeared in one or two episodes...thanks for the suggestions.
                        I can't remember any German characters in Coronation Street to be honest - I can remember one or two French and Spanish ones.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I can't remember any German characters in Coronation Street to be honest - I can remember one or two French and Spanish ones.

He may well have been in it for just a single episode, but it is now so hazy in my memory.

Comment

The only WWII related Coronation Street I remember seeing was about an old unexploded doodlebug bomb under someone's back yard/patio. Uncle Albert was involved some, but I remember one of the houses falling down and they thought Lucille Hewitt was inside. I probably wasn't even born yet when they were originally shown.

I started watching Corrie regularly around 1988-89 but saw it for years and years before then. Got into Emmerdale around 1992 or so as they started showing it right after Coronation Street and had a special introductory episode of flashbacks hosted by 'Kathy' all about the Tates and Sugdens etc. Now I've been getting the sets from Finland of the show from a few years before that, before any Dingles, but they cost a bit to have mailed to me. Now I've seen Amos Brierley turning over The Woolpack to Alan Turner. I'm thinking a lot of these actors are gone now. :cry:

The first soap I got hooked on though was the first year or so of Home & Away (Bobbie, Frank and Pippa etc.). It's because of that I started giving Corrie a real try. It was very hard to get into a show if it was in the middle of things with all these characters with long histories. If you saw it from the first episode you had a better chance (or the special intro one Emmerdale made for us).
                            My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

I would guess that I watched Coronation Street from the late 60s/early 70s. imo the 70s were its golden period with strong characters played by really good actors.

Emmerdale...actually it was Emmerdale Farm back then...I watched from the early 70s. That was problematic as it was shown weekdays early afternoon when I was at school--no repeats back then, so viewing was confined to illness and holidays. I lost interest in both in the 90s as they changed their character from what they were.

Comment

Emmerdale (Farm) lost its bearings circa 1993 when it became a sub-Prisoner: Cell Block H soap with plane crashes and Post Office robberies. And Kim Tate doing something on a horse. When it was like The Archers on the television, and t'Woolpack was a parody of sub-Last of the Summer Wine Yorkshire stereotypes, it was better.

One thing about the ITV3 episodes of Coronation Street is the autumn 1989 episodes that we will see later on this year - a lot of changes happen such as Baldwin's factory goes and becomes a Maurice Jones enterprise of new housing; Alan Bradley is the Phelan of the late 1980s, and Ken plays around for a bit of extra time. Can't stand Tina Fowler who replaces Gloria - I don't like the fact that Rovers barmaids (Betty excepted of course) were always, shall we say, stereotypes of women who also play around as well.
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X