Soap Characters 70-90s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soap Characters 70-90s

Why don,t we discuss characters from soaps we used to watch.

The ones we liked
    The annoying ones

Coronation Street

Albert Tatlock he was a grumpy moaning old man
    Annie Walker the landlady of the rovers,she was a horrible nasty old woman didn,t like her at all

Hilda Ogden was always gossiping about neighbours,Stan her husband was always living on pie and chips
    When Eddie Yeats came on the scene,he always seemed to get stan into trouble,Hilda always found out in the end what they had been up to mischief

Re: Soap Characters 70-90s

If you're doing Corrie....
    What always mystified me was Ray Langton , he left Deirdre for this coloured bird and next time he appeared was on a special featuring Jack and Vera Duckworth in Vegas - he was their hotel waiter and was gay!

However he later returned to the street to die but his being gay was no longer mentioned - think different script writers lost things a bit

Comment

When I was little I loved old Jack Walker in Corrie; maybe saw him as the Grandad I never had. Always seemed so calm and dependable with his "Now, now, don't take on Annie love"

As for Hilda Ogden, I never really believed the way they re-invented her when Stan died. For years she was spiteful, vindictive and trouble-making, but when she became a widow it was suddenly good old salt-of-the earth, what-will-we-do-without-you, national treasure Hilda.
      Still crazy after all these years.

Comment

Amy Turtle was the greatest Soap-Character ever! No-one comes close to her downright incompetence as an actress.

Amy Turtle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

Benny with his wooly hat!

He tied up poor Snowy the goat and left it outside the shop and the poor animal was never ever mentioned again

Comment

One Corrie character I always have trouble with is Jim McDonald. When he was a regular it seemed like they found a new Irish expression each week, and had bets about how many times thet could make him say it. One week every sentence would include "Fair Play", next week "Catch on to yourself", next week "So it is", and so on.
            Still crazy after all these years.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
              Benny with his wooly hat!

He tied up poor Snowy the goat and left it outside the shop and the poor animal was never ever mentioned again
              I've met Paul Henry (Benny) a few times as he used to live near me and we shared the same Pub!
              He's a real friendly Guy - Shakesperian actor to boot and also Ronnie Barkers first choice to play Lennie Godber in Porridge

Comment

Hiya Chris
                don't suppose he remembers what happened to the goat then ?

Comment

Hi Danny,
                  I think the goat would have ended up in a curry! Especially if left around Birmingham!

Comment

I never got into Crossroads but I've heard of some classic plot slip-ups, such as Benny going out to find a spanner & was not seen again for 6 months, with no mention of the spanner. Paul Henry used to have time off for stage acting, which might explain the 6 months away.

Victoria Wood managed to put things like this to good use in Acorn Antiques.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I quite like some of the villains. My all-time favourite has to be Nick Cotton in Eastenders, he's so cruel to his mum, or, as he says, "ma". He's a loveable rogue.
                      Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

When Eastenders first came on tv I used to watch it,I liked Dirty Den and Angie who were in charge of the Queen Vic always scwabbling

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                          When Eastenders first came on tv I used to watch it,I liked Dirty Den and Angie who were in charge of the Queen Vic always scwabbling
                          I used to like Pete Beale " 'allo tweacle"

Comment

Hilda Ogden
                            Bet Lynch
                            Harry Cross
                            Barry Grant
                            sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Mavis Riley and Derek Coronation Street

Nasty Alan can,t remember his surname in the show,he had a daughter Jenny who lodge with Rita, the incident where they killed him off by a tram in blackpool

Comment

Working...
                              X