Comment

• Re: Words that have fallen out of use

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
      pardon??
      Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ClaudineJones View Post
        I can still hear my Nan saying "You bl**dy great clod hopper!", meaning clumsy.
        I still say that to my kids all the time! 'you clumsy great clod hopper! or watch your clod hoppers as they step over you.
        I've always took it to mean clumsy feet/big shoes
        Heather

Comment

We always referred to big shoes or boots as clod hoppers
          The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Yep, same here.. clod hoppers are oversized shoes

Comment

Together with my children aged 10, 12, 12 and 13, we have compiled a long list of what they call 'Granny words' which include such staples as cardigan, nightdress, petticoat, jersey and pinafore in the clothing category, cruet, condiments, eiderdown, bolster, ottoman, answering machine (as opposed to 'voicemail'), drawing room and pantry in the home section, album, rewind, tape, LP, single in the musical entertainment section. We have many, many more, and have had great fun creating our list as a trans-generational game!

Comment

The bogeyman seems to have gone into retirement. I'm not sure who comes to get children in the night these days.
                1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember my sister didn't know what a biro was, even though she's only 6 years younger than me.

Counterpaine is one word that donsn't get much use along with bedspread, poultice, transistor radio & preserve (like a jam) come to mind.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I have no idea what a counterpaine or poultice is ???
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

A counterpane is the same as an eiderdown, as my mum used to call it.
                      sigpic
                      'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

A poultice is a hot compression for a wound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poultice

I first remember seeing in the Beano & didn't know what it meant. Even in the 1980s The Beano seemed to be in an odd past - present time line with lots of 1950s things featured.

My Dad was amused by some of these, as they were hardly around even when he was young. Examples include teachers wearing mortar boards & gowns, cooling pies on window ledges & putting raw steaks on black eyes.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Wally. Thats one thats fallen out of use. We had a kid at my primary school called 'Wally Tundae' in my sisters class and every time registration was done the teacher couldn't use his full name as the kids would laugh so he was simply referred to as 'Tundae' and this led to him being called Tundae by teachers in general to stop kids giggling.

One time, my late Mum came into school to drop something off and Wally Tundae was stood outside in the playground against a wall, my Mum being my Mum started doing a jig and singing:

'WALLY TUN-DAE!
                          WALLY TUN-DAE!

WALLY TUN-DAE, TUN-DAE, TUN-DAE-TUNDAAAEEE!'

Wally kept backing off and his head hit the brick wall. My Mum got a bit scared and rubbed his head and gave him an Opal fruit and said she was only joking...Its a shame I can't do an impression of what she did so you'd see how funny it was....She then asked him why he was outside and he said he'd been 'naughty' and told to stand outside against the far wall....Wonder where he is now...

Comment

Working...
                          X