Words that have fallen out of use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Words that have fallen out of use

My nanna called the kitchen the scullery. Dad still listens to the wireless and I've always said settee.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

The younger generation have there own versions.So much gets swept away with the passing of time.All you end up with is memories.
      sigpic

Comment

groovy is rarely used now.

Comment

I say groovy ALL the time

Comment

Originally posted by Jacqueline View Post
            Some old fashioned words are just nicer/more descriptive, don't you think?

Eg 'courting' instead of dating, 'frock' instead of dress. My mum still listens to the 'wireless'.
            must agree jacqueline.
            must agree much prefer courting than dating.
            just sounds nicer.

still use scullery and wireless.
            people don't half look confused when i say them.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

The word NAFF - hugely popular in the early eighties. I remember a book being on sale in W. H. Smith called "The Complete Naff Guide" It means when something is out of style or had it's day.

I think Princess Anne was reputed to have told someone to "Naff Orf!" Might have had something to do with the prison sitcom Porridge too!

Dont hear it very much now but I use it!

Comment

PLEASE and THANK YOU have fallen out of use.;-)
                sigpic

Comment

Have you noticed that on the whole a good hearty stew is now called a beef or lamb casserole? and (not that these are connected) what used to be a 'terraced' house is now a 'town house'

Comment

In the eighties we used to describe something exciting/delightful etc as "magic," but this has since been replaced by "wicked." (I was familiar with the term 'wicked' when I was a teenager in the seventies, but at that time it was only ever used by black people of West Indian origin.)

Another eighties term is 'wally'. I think the modern equivalent is 'muppet'.

You don't often hear a vacuum cleaner get called a 'Hoover' these days - probably due to the decline of the company. And when I was a kid we used to call the laundry the 'Bendix' (another brand name).
                    The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

Wicked seemed to peak in the late 1980s, about the time the Saturday morning show It's Wicked & Ace on Doctor Who used it a lot.

I've not heard it much this side of the Berlin Wall coming down.

My Mum sometimes jokingly talks about doing the Dysoning.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My Mum used to say "mithered" a lot now they say "harrassed".

And originally we had a continental quilt, now we have a duvet.
                        The people of Oman don't like the Flintstones but the people of Abu Dhabi do!

Comment

I still say mithered all the time and quilt
                          Heather

Comment

Goolies and pantry i think a pantry was where u kept food and a big kettle that only got used for funerals.

Comment

Reading all of your posts, I've just remembered a few myself;

Mithered - Harrassed.
                              Bobbins - Rubbish.
                              Naff - No good.
                              Chuffed - Proud.
                              My nana still calls the radio the wireless.
                              Kecks - Underpants.
                              Buzzin' - Really happy.
                              I've never said sofa, it's always been settee or couch.

Who remembers in the late 80's early 90's when kids used to snap their index finger against the middle finger next to it? It used to make like a snapping sound as the index finger hit the middle finger....

What about "I can have you" as a threat that you could beat up another kid. Or "my dad could have your dad"? LOL

Where you ever the 'c.o.c.k' of the school? Did you ever 'go gay' for Whit Week?...Whatever happened to the Whit Walks?
                              If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!

Comment

some of those are fairly regional.

I remember at primary school a few people used to use deck or dinge to mean beating someone up, ie "I'm going to deck your head in!".
                                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                                X