Words that have fallen out of use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Words that have fallen out of use

I was talking with friends recently about words we don't seem to use anymore. The conversation was sparked when I mentioned my stove. I've always tended to call the top of my cooker where the rings are, the 'stove' but have to admit, it does sound like an old fashioned word.

Then there's 'pushchair'. I still say it but most people say buggy these days.

And when did 'railway stations' become 'train stations'? I'm sure we didn't say the latter when I was a child. (This one really bugs me as I think 'train station' sounds a bit clumsy.)

Anyone got anymore?

(Apologies if there is an existing thread. I did a search and couldn't find one.)
    Last edited by Marine Boy; 10-09-2009, 07:59. Reason: spelling

Re: Words that have fallen out of use

Football...

Your 'goalie' became the 'keeper'

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
      Football...

Football II
      They cross the ball these days.
      When I was young they used to centre it!
      I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

Was thinking about call me / ring me / phone me but they're all still in use - what did pop into my head is when somebody signals to you to phone them they still mime holdng up a good old proper phone handset ,even if its for a mobile call

Movng futher away from the subject ( soz but thats how my brain works ) has anyone noticed that at level crossings the sign on the barrier still shows a steam train?

Comment

I guess if they used a picture of a diesel or electric it would look too much like a bus or a tram.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Yeah - you can't mistake one of these -

thing is there must be loads of adults nowadays who've only ever saw a steam train in a railway museum or on Miss Marpes etc

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
              Football...

footy-related positions?....there's also: 'inside-left' (my position ) and 'inside-right'
              sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

bunker for worktop in the kitchen,but think thats a local thing.I have friends who never used it.Im sure there are loads,I just can't think on them

tulip

Comment

Dont seem to here lavotary being used anymore do you.Toilets or loo,s but not the lavatory.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                    Dont seem to here lavotary being used anymore do you.Toilets or loo,s but not the lavatory.
                    We call it the bog!
                    Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Never,ever said Lavatory here.It was always toilet,loo or bogs.

tulip

Comment

I was at work a few weeks ago, and a colleague made my tea with sugar, even though he knows I never have it. In my best mock-anger, I called him a 'Deacon', and there was this superb 2-second silence where we both realised what I'd just said, and had a giggling fit that lasted for the best part of 30 minutes. See also: 'Joey'.

I'm not mocking Joey himself; it was a sad tale, but we all used to fling the insult around at school without even knowing what it meant, or where it came from. At least I never did at the time.

Anybody else remember the 'chufty badge'? Used to be a great way of negating anything that another person had or had done that was actually good. You'd say the phrase 'chutfy badge' in your most sarcastic tone, breathe on your clentched fist, and then polish your chest; as if cleaning the imaginary 'chufty badge'. It can't have only been a Devon thing? It got one lad in my class thrown out of the class, back then - our teacher's wife was going to have a baby, and he (perhaps mistakenly) told the class. The disruptive lad in question caustically bellowed 'Oh...big chufty, sir...', and did the action. He was out door before he could even finish cleaning his chufty...
                        The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
                        Marcel Proust

Comment

Can't say 'chufty' rings any bells here

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
                            Can't say 'chufty' rings any bells here
                            Nor here, unless it's something to do with the Tufty club?
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My old man calls a warm and sunny day a 'grasser'. He also calls peas 'bullets'.

Nobody else I know uses these terms. He's a strange man
                              Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X