Words that have fallen out of use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Words that have fallen out of use

They say 'deck' round here but it is a reference to beating a person to the ground or onto the deck.
    Eg, "I'm going to deck 'im"!
    The people of Oman don't like the Flintstones but the people of Abu Dhabi do!

Comment

Same here Megawitch,the other doesn't sound right to me!

tulip

Comment

Originally posted by Marillion View Post
        In the eighties we used to describe something exciting/delightful etc as "magic,"
        "Magic, our Maurice!" /both thumbs up.

Yeah, some people still see Bill Maynard as Selwyn Froggatt and not the Heartbeat tramp.

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
          footy-related positions?....there's also: 'inside-left' (my position ) and 'inside-right'
          Managers in the 70s were always 'supremos', particularly if they were foreign.

The media also had very little knowledge of other cultures. I remember reading a magazine report of a match in which Argentinian Sabella played well for Sheffield United and the headline was 'Samba with Sabella'. Years later, I realise Samba is Brazilian, in Argentina they have the tango.

Comment

Three words spring to mind:- Kelter, chibble and pluther

Kelter - rubbish/junk - e.g. the room is full of kelter.
            chibble - when you chibble the edge off something to fit (the bits chibbled off are called chibblings) e.g. if you're tiling and don't need a full tile to finish a row the edge needs to be chibbled off.
            pluther - 'it's pluthering/pluthering down' 'it started to pluther down this afternoon (both referring to snow coming down fast.) It was also used to describe water e.g. the water was pluthering out the overflow pipe.

Comment

More of a thing than a word. A telephone table! These days phones are wall-mounted or shoved on any old surface. Back then the telephone had its very own table in the hall way. We had one with a built in seat and a drawer for the yellow pages and address books.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                More of a thing than a word. A telephone table! These days phones are wall-mounted or shoved on any old surface. Back then the telephone had its very own table in the hall way. We had one with a built in seat and a drawer for the yellow pages and address books.
                And the little A5 yellow pamphlet you got with all the dialling codes! (Stoke-on-Trent 0782, Preston 0772 etc).

Comment

Originally posted by stockportyears View Post
                  And the little A5 yellow pamphlet you got with all the dialling codes! (Stoke-on-Trent 0782, Preston 0772 etc).
                  yeah I remember that too! Our drawer was full of rubbish aswell. Whenever you lost something you'd automatically go to the telephone table and look in the drawer about 50 times.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by The Low Country View Post
                    Three words spring to mind:- Kelter, chibble and pluther

Kelter - rubbish/junk - e.g. the room is full of kelter.
                    chibble - when you chibble the edge off something to fit (the bits chibbled off are called chibblings) e.g. if you're tiling and don't need a full tile to finish a row the edge needs to be chibbled off.
                    pluther - 'it's pluthering/pluthering down' 'it started to pluther down this afternoon (both referring to snow coming down fast.) It was also used to describe water e.g. the water was pluthering out the overflow pipe.
                    Now these ARE new to me! Were these ever in use outside of your town/village?

Comment

Yep! they're still heard but not as often as when I was a kid. Mostly the older generation use them now, funnily enough chibble cropped up at work today. The person who said it grew up about 35/40 miles from me but we're both in Lincolnshire.

Originally posted by Grosh62 View Post
                      Now these ARE new to me! Were these ever in use outside of your town/village?

Comment

Originally posted by The Low Country View Post
                        Yep! they're still heard but not as often as when I was a kid. Mostly the older generation use them now, funnily enough chibble cropped up at work today. The person who said it grew up about 35/40 miles from me but we're both in Lincolnshire.
                        A chibble down here is a local term for spring onions.
                        sigpic

Comment

That's interesting, never heard them called that. Where is 'down here?'

Originally posted by Paulos View Post
                          A chibble down here is a local term for spring onions.

Comment

We had a saying for something that was good or really good in the early 80s. The word was expert.

For example. If somebody had a really nice bike, we would say. That bike is expert.
                            Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

Comment

old phrases

I still call the cinema, the pictures, anyone else use old phrases ?

Comment

Re: old phrases

Hi zofo1961

There's already a thread discussing this subject over here>>>

https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...len-out-of-use

...I still say 'the pictures' too!

Comment

Working...
                                X