Anyone remember this Heinz advert...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone remember this Heinz advert...

In the 1990's, Heinz baked beans had an advert which was a song full of silly words. It went something like this:

Diddly bummer, diddly bummer, doppa dippa dido
    Diddly bummer, diddly bummer, heinz buildz brits

etc

I can't remember much else, but it was just silly words that didn't mean anything and it went really fast. I can't remember what was on the screen, i just remember hearing the song.

Me and my friend, watched it over and over and wrote down the words and learnt it off by heart (we had WAY to much time on our hands!!)

I need to know that someone else remembers this (surely it wasn't all in my head!)

i have tried searching on youtube but can't find it. it's pretty obscure.

I'd be grateful for any help.
    Thanks

Re: Anyone remember this Heinz advert...

Hi, I did a quick google search of "Heinz Buildz Britz" and it was a slogan they used in the late 90's, but apparently the adverts were quickly dropped after a surprise decline in sales, the slogan was quickly reverted back to Beanz Meanz Heinz.

Done a quick search but cant yet find the actual advert.
    Heather

Comment

I'm not surprised there was sales dip. what a terrible ad

Comment

IIRC they were all kids who wanted to grow up into say the prime minister, eat beans and get a good old british job to be proud of
        Heather

Comment

Thanks for your replies. At least i now know that it did actually exist!

i really wish i could watch it again

Comment

Boring info that beefs up the replies....

Another famous slogan is "Beanz Meanz Heinz", used in the 1960s and beyond to advertise their baked beans in the United Kingdom. Variations of this slogan were used over time, such as "A million housewives every day pick up a tin of Beans and say, Beanz Meanz Heinz", or "Don't be mean with the Beans Mum, Beanz Meanz Heinz". The slogan was put in abeyance during the 1990s, and officially dropped in favor of "Heinz Buildz Britz" c.1996, but after a surprise decline in sales, the new slogan was quickly dropped. In 2002, the company used the nostalgia that by this time surrounded the slogan by running a campaign called "Keep it or can it?" in which Heinz ads from the 1960s and 1970s were re-run, with the addition of an invitation to the public to vote on whether the slogan should be kept. The result was, as expected, a massive majority in favor of keeping the slogan. This, however, was not immediately acted upon, with Heinz's subsequent ad campaign using the slogan "The bean. The superbean." instead, although in 2004 they started spelling "Baked Beanz" with a "z" on their beans, which is seen as a reminder of the slogan, and in 2006 it was announced that the company are planning to re-introduce the slogan in a future campaign. From 2007 the company is again using the slogan "Beanz Meanz Heinz" in its campaigns.

Comment

I di diddly bom, diddly bom a di do, whoops diddly yum a dum a working on your bits

Good job I didn't dream this, noone else seems to remember it

Comment

whoop diddly whoop whoop Heinz Buildz Brits!

I really liked this ad and remember it well. The tunes in my head but not the lyrics. I think it started with reference to somebodies puny legs. "They were a like a couple of *something* holding? two *something*. Something like that then half way through there was a shot of legs getting hairy. Far better that Beanz Mean Heinz IMO

Never been a Heinz beans fan though. Prefer HP beans.
                1976 Vintage

Comment

Yes, remember that. My parents also recall an ad for same product that featured two boys saying a poem that went something like:

There was something wrong we said, but we now found out, we just got out of bed.

Comment

I remember the one about a Scouse girl's hands that went;

"They were like 2 spuds!
                    With half a pound of chipolata's!
                    Couldn't draw or paint and me piano woke up me Mum!

What you need to go far,
                    Is exercise for starters,
                    (Can't remember the next 2 lines),
                    And a bit of diddly dum!"

And then it goes into the silly chorus of nonsense words, and the girl grows up to be a hairdresser!

I found the Heinz ad about the (hairy!) legs on YouTube though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_wh_vIqE8U

Enjoy the trip down Memory Lane...

Comment

I didn't realise there was more than one advert in the series. I remembered the football images but I can fill the blanks from my lyrics with spuds and chipolatas - the hairdresser one nice to see the ad again.
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by daisydaisy View Post
                        I di diddly bom, diddly bom a di do, whoops diddly yum a dum a working on your bits

Good job I didn't dream this, noone else seems to remember it
                        I remember this ad. I always felt Alf Roberts from Home & Away should have sung it and been the front man for this awful ad. He used to say odd tings in H & W like 'WHAT THE YAHOO BLAZES?!' Or 'You yazoos' or odd things like that so this stupid song would have suited him to a tee....lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                          Boring info that beefs up the replies....

Another famous slogan is "Beanz Meanz Heinz", used in the 1960s and beyond to advertise their baked beans in the United Kingdom. Variations of this slogan were used over time, such as "A million housewives every day pick up a tin of Beans and say, Beanz Meanz Heinz", or "Don't be mean with the Beans Mum, Beanz Meanz Heinz". The slogan was put in abeyance during the 1990s, and officially dropped in favor of "Heinz Buildz Britz" c.1996, but after a surprise decline in sales, the new slogan was quickly dropped. In 2002, the company used the nostalgia that by this time surrounded the slogan by running a campaign called "Keep it or can it?" in which Heinz ads from the 1960s and 1970s were re-run, with the addition of an invitation to the public to vote on whether the slogan should be kept. The result was, as expected, a massive majority in favor of keeping the slogan. This, however, was not immediately acted upon, with Heinz's subsequent ad campaign using the slogan "The bean. The superbean." instead, although in 2004 they started spelling "Baked Beanz" with a "z" on their beans, which is seen as a reminder of the slogan, and in 2006 it was announced that the company are planning to re-introduce the slogan in a future campaign. From 2007 the company is again using the slogan "Beanz Meanz Heinz" in its campaigns.
                          Basically current ad land execs think they know what will engage us buy trying to be clever and think up new slogans whereas the classics like 'BEANZ MEANZ HEINZ' have worked so well we still remember then and yet more recent iterations with newer rubbish become forgotten or vaguely recalled...mentioned on forums like this when one or two remember them in full and then post a link to youtube where we then remember it in full. Ad land-run by younger fools and too feminised and bland. Thanks a lot. Good info Danny.

Comment

Originally posted by GypsyGold View Post
                            I remember the one about a Scouse girl's hands that went;

"They were like 2 spuds!
                            With half a pound of chipolata's!
                            Couldn't draw or paint and me piano woke up me Mum!

What you need to go far,
                            Is exercise for starters,
                            (Can't remember the next 2 lines),
                            And a bit of diddly dum!"

And then it goes into the silly chorus of nonsense words, and the girl grows up to be a hairdresser!

I found the Heinz ad about the (hairy!) legs on YouTube though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_wh_vIqE8U

Enjoy the trip down Memory Lane...

thanks for thid danny mate.
                            dont think we got that ad about the scouse girl over here in N.I.
                            sOME ADS I THINK ARE REGIONAL.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I could have been one of the Heinz Beans kids. An agency came round to my infants school (Lydgate Independent School) and picked myself and a lad called Martin Pitman. My mum didn't agree to it so my place was taken by a lad called Matthew Sykes. Martin Pitman went to my Junior School (Hulme Court Prep, Oldham) and then main school (Hulme Grammar, Oldham) where aged 12 he starred in a Fisher Price advert (he looked younger and was very short). It was then I gave him the nickname Fartin Sh*tman due to me finding something he'd wiped under his desk in Prep school. Another piece of trivia..the Pitmans lived next door to John Mundy (BBC North West presenter) and Roy Barraclough (Alec in Coronation Street) - Yes they were partners.

Comment

Working...
                              X