The DYR? Reading List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The DYR? Reading List

'Just Can't Get Enough - Toys, Games and Other Stuff from the 80s that Rocked', by Matthew Robinson and Jensen Karp. It's 80s toys and games, but from a male perspective so more attention paid to the boys stuff.

Comment

Things Ain't What They Use To Be...It's a book about 70's and 80's nostalgia by Phil Glenister (Gene Hunt). I'm reading it at the moment and it has so many memories from my younger days, most of which have been covered on this very forum at some point. It's a cracking read so don't pass it up if you can get your hands on a copy.
      "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Just got a copy for £1.50 in a charity shop.. looks good

Comment

I've got the audiobook CD version which I've listened to a lot. It's brilliant but the only bugbear is that he says 'Robin Reliant'. Never understood why people do that. It's Reliant Robin (make then model), and he refers to OFAH's Del Boy's van as a Robin (or "Robin Reliant") when Del Boy's van is actually a Regal. But that second point is just being anoraky. Which I'm not. So feel free to ignore that bit.

I really like the idea for event organisers of a retro Christmas Party though. I'd book a place!
          Last edited by Austin Maxi; 17-07-2010, 23:07.
          "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I've got two of Robert Opie's Scrapbooks - the 1950s and the 1970s. They'll probably be a 1980s one out soon.

Robert Opie should really be the patron saint of this whole forum: he's the king of British nostalgia. Has anyone visited his Museum of Packaging in London, or the previous one in Gloucester?

I met him once, when I was working in the British Empire & Commonwealth Museum in Bristol (which has since relocated to London). He was invited there, along with 200 others, as a guest at the official opening of the museum in 2002, because he'd donated some things to the museum (exhibits, not money). Although I didn't know what he looked like, I recognised him as soon as I saw him, because he was wearing a tie with pictures of some of those vintage products on it. I talked to him for a few minutes, and he assured me that his collection was still growing!
            The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

Mrs Slocombe's *****- Growing up in front of the Telly, by Stuart Jeffries

Comment

Some of the titles from my own library:

"Eric Morecambe Unseen: The Lost Diaries, Jokes and Photographs" by William Cook (editor),( London: Harper Collins Entertainment, 2005)
                "Hal Lifson's 1966!: A Personal View of The Coolest Year in Pop Culture History" by Hal Lifson, (Chicago: Bonus Books, 2002)
                "The Elite Redline Guide: Hot Wheels 1968-1977: Identification & Values" by Jack Clark & Sid Belzberg, (Silver Car Publishing, 2010)
                "The London Transport Golden Jubilee Book, 1933-1983" by Oliver Green & John Reed, (London: The Daily Telegraph, 1983)
                "The Encyclopedia of Bad Taste: A Celebration of American Pop Culture at its Most Joyfully Outrageous" by Jane & Michael Stern, (New York: Harper Collins, 1990)

Comment

Originally posted by Marillion View Post
                  I've got two of Robert Opie's Scrapbooks - the 1950s and the 1970s. They'll probably be a 1980s one out soon.

Robert Opie should really be the patron saint of this whole forum: he's the king of British nostalgia. Has anyone visited his Museum of Packaging in London, or the previous one in Gloucester?

I met him once, when I was working in the British Empire & Commonwealth Museum in Bristol (which has since relocated to London). He was invited there, along with 200 others, as a guest at the official opening of the museum in 2002, because he'd donated some things to the museum (exhibits, not money). Although I didn't know what he looked like, I recognised him as soon as I saw him, because he was wearing a tie with pictures of some of those vintage products on it. I talked to him for a few minutes, and he assured me that his collection was still growing!

I agree with you on Robert Opie, he's a bit of a visionary knowing to collect all that stuff knowing people would be fascinated by it in the future.

I hope to go to the museum of pacakaging and brands when visiting London in September, can't wait.

Comment

Also...

"What Made Thunderbirds Go!: The Authorised Biography of Gerry Anderson" by Simon Archer & Marcus Hearn, 2002

Comment

One very good book is The Hill and Beyond,childrens television drama-an encyclopedia by Alistair D.Mcgown and Mark J.Docherty.Its an encyclopedia on british made childrens drama for telly between 1950 and 2000.

It's a great read,but I tend to use it more for reference just dipping in and out when needed.Around some 300 dramas are recorded in there from the more commonly remembered ones to ones that most people will have long forgotten.It is published through the british film institute.Was untill recently quite an expensive book but shopping around it can be had quite cheeply now.It is possibly the only book to deal fully with british Childrens drama out there,so a vital read for anybody who like me remembers the likes of timeslip,children of the stones,sky,tomorrows people,etc.

Comment

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-1960...941027&sr=8-13

Arthur Ward's Classic Toys of the 1960s and 1970s

its a great book. Love the photos and anecdotes and nice bits of trivia about the toy companies of old. Lots of nice photos too. He's also done a book on TV and Film Toys and Ephemera

which I haven't bought yet but may well do....I might get the TV CREAM TOYS: PRESENTS YOU PESTERED YOUR PARENTS FOR...

Comment

Warman's Matchbox Field Guide by Tom Larson
                          (Iola, Wisconsin: Krause Publications, 2008)

Comment

Just picked up a slim tome called The Tonibell Story. Looks an interesting read

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Tonibell.../dp/1908347031

Comment

To answer a question someone asked a few posts back, I've been to Robert Opie's 'Museum of Brands, Advertising & Packaging' (twice) and it's well worth going to. I can guarantee you'll spend a while looking at all of the crisp packets in the '70s section, and who could resist a look at a packet of Wavy Line Washing Powder! I also have the 1960s amd 1970s Scrapbooks, which I've spent a long time looking through, and the 'Remember When' book by Robert Opie takes you through the whole era covered by the museum.

I'm surprised that no-one has yet mentioned 'The Great British Tuck Shop' by Steve Berry & Phil Norman. It's a treasure trove of old sweets, crisps, ice lollies and fizzy drinks form the '70s and '80s in particular. There's old wrapper designs and screen shots from some of the adverts for them from back then. Well worth getting, and I think some supermarkets are selling it quite cheaply now.
                              "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

It has been mentioned, but on another thread. While its a great book, I really don't like the computer rendered images of the productions.

Comment

Working...
                                X