Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gus Honeybun

Default Re: Gus Honeybun

Gus Honeybun's ear flying off! How i wish I could get a video of that- before the days... my brother and I have dissolved into fits of giggles every time we try to think about it. I almost remember the trajectory of the ear flying toward camera and then poor old Roger trying not to fall apart whilst Gus did the rest of the session in profile- classic!

Gus had a very good innings - 1961 to 1992!

Second only to Sooty in longevity terms!

Viewers in Wales didn't get to see Gus Honeybun but in 2005 I managed to get a fantastic old VHS tape for 25 (expensive I know) from somebody on Ebay full of Westward/TSW ads, continuity and stuff from the late 70's/early 80's and there was a load of Gus Honeybun with Judi Spiers in it. It was a lot of fun to watch those two and all the bunny hops Gus used to do for children's birthdays.

Gus Honeybun's Magic Birthdays (nee the Gus Honeybun Show during the early days of Westward) always seemed to be the focal point of the ITV regional variations in the 1970s and 1980s (especially Look In), and no doubt that most youngsters always wanted to visit Devon or Cornwall to see him on Westward or TSW, only to find that it was a jazzed up birthday greetings slot with Ian Stirling, Judi Spiers, and south west continuity announcers. Puffin's Pla(i)ce was another one of those birthday clones which survived on Channel TV by a further decade. A lot of regions like Tyne Tees just had the continuity announcer announcing birthday greetings, along with the jumble sales and pensioners' tea dancers in the region.

To must people, Westward and TSW were always the ITV companies are associated with staying in hotel rooms or caravans, where the population increases from June to September with holidaymakers, and so this was how a lot of viewers would have seen Honeybun on air. Was he just a poor man's Bugs Bunny? A lot of viewers didn't think so. In the Midlands the closest we had was Tingha and Tucker, and they had such a huge fan base in their time! Even Zippy from Rainbow could have done that as well!

(I think that I seen a huge set of TSW adverts and continuity on YouTube - the same ones, perhaps?)

And it was Lennie Bennett on the New Year's Day Show 1982 who announced that TSW would be adopting Gus Honeybun (complete with Honeybun's TSW-alike colour outfit). And a decade later, Westcountry came along, and Gus Honeybun "retired" to a theme park in Devon or Cornwall - the Brinsworth House for former children's TV puppets?

By the way, speaking about the south west (or there about), is Bournemouth in the south or the south west region? I want to know whether Spotlight or South Today will appear on BBC 1 on my Premier Inn room TV set if I travel down there.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Absolute legend!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

My favourite comment about Gus Honeybun was made by BobTheFish’s YouTube video about the south west in his ITV In The Face series about when colour tv came to Westward in 1972:

”Finally we could see what colour Gus Honeybun was... he was grey”