The Gentle Touch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Gentle Touch

One of my favourite detective series from the early eighties, (could it have been late seventies?). I adored Jill Gascoine as Maggie and there was always a very human side to the stories as we followed Maggie's home life, with her son and her elderly father, as well as the cases she was investigating. Anyone else a fan?

Just found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU9o7V5cqnI
    Last edited by Marine Boy; 28-09-2009, 22:53.

Re: The Gentle Touch

Wasn't the spin off called "CATS EYES"? IIRC it also starred Lesley Ash.

Comment

Hard to believe it, but Jill is now 72 years old!!

Comment

Originally posted by mark1970 View Post
        Wasn't the spin off called "CATS EYES"? IIRC it also starred Lesley Ash.
        Yes, and Rosalind Landor.

I prefered C.A.T.S Eyes to The Gentle Touch

LOL, I used to work with somebody called Jill Gascoigne.
        Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
          Hard to believe it, but Jill is now 72 years old!!
          ..and still gorgeous.

I think the photo is pretty recent.

This YT promotion is from only last year.
          YouTube - Jill Gascoine and Colette Freedman discuss Sister Cities

Comment

If I look that good at 72 I will be delighted!

The first time I remember seeing her was in General Hospital. She played a classical pianist who was a patient Dr.Bywaters fell in love with, but was killed by a car as she crossed the road to buy him a birthday card! (How do I remember this stuff!)
            She then appeared as another patient who was as common as muck and had red hair this time and Dr.Bywaters tried to change her into his lost love because she looked so much like her (surprisingly!)
            She was really good in this though.

I didn't really watch the Gentle Touch, but I do like her as an actress.
            sigpic
            'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

If I make it to 72 I'll be delighted

Comment

I was only about 10 or 11 when this was on but I do recall it well. I felt that her male colleagues treated her as a novelty value being female in the force at that time. I was always surprised that CATS eyes became the spin off because it seemed so much less serious a show than the Gentle Touch. TGT was gritty. CE was a little lightweight (but still entertaining). I remember the media making a lot of fuss about "Catherine Rabbett" appearing in Cats Eyes.

Comment

Gentle Touch had the best interrogation room scene ever. A suspect is sitting there, Gascoine walks in with a bottle or glass and says that they've got his fingerprints. She steps out. When she goes back in, he's eating the evidence, laughing as blood comes out of his mouth. It is not the actual item. oof.

Comment

Originally posted by Derekflint View Post
                    Gentle Touch had the best interrogation room scene ever. A suspect is sitting there, Gascoine walks in with a bottle or glass and says that they've got his fingerprints. She steps out. When she goes back in, he's eating the evidence, laughing as blood comes out of his mouth. It is not the actual item. oof.
                    Heck! I don't recall this one. I have the first two series on DVD. Maybe it was a later episode. Sounds strong stuff.

Comment

Between that and the theme music, well creeped out!

Comment

The Gentle Touch was a massive ratings success in the UK, where it was shown on Friday nights in a 9.00pm slot except for the final series which was shown on Saturday nights.

The series made Gascoine a household name and lasted for five series, however the character of Maggie Forbes lasted longer and in 1985 she returned in the more action orientated spin-off series c.a.t.s eyes also created by Terence Feely about a team of female detectives in Kent who covertly work for the home office.

it rtan from 11th of April 1980
                        until the 24th of November 1984.

there where 56 episodes which lasted an hour which included ad breaks.

The series starred jill gascoine as Detective Inspector Maggie Forbes, who has worked her way up through the ranks of the police force and is based at the Seven Dials police station in london.

Maggie's husband, police constable, is k****d during the first episode, leaving her to juggle her career with single parenthood, raising her teenage son.

http://youtu.be/xjqoaQ2BTk0
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

think we got a new Gentle Touch favorite on our hands! Requests for Beyoncé's “1+1″ have been INSANE. So I thought I would share the video with you

Comment

Been watching this on talking pictures tv a lot of well know faces on it like derek thompson aka charlie from casualty man he look so young..

Such a wonderfully good show.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I read that Jill Gascoigne couldn't drive, so when you saw her in the driving seat of a car, the car was not moving - she could have had a Michael Knight KITT car of course if she wanted to.

And of course, the Forbes spin off CATS Eyes was made by TVS and not LWT which I keep forgetting about.
                              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                              X