B.a.s.i.c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: B.a.s.i.c

Line numbers were a peculiar aspect of BASIC not used in real programming languages.

Were there any 8-bits that had an inbuilt programming language that was not BASIC?

Comment

Originally posted by philipdalton View Post
      This thread has the potential to lead onto something else. Does anyone know anything about programming in Visual Basic? Someone offered me a Visual Basic programming course once for ....guess what? No less than £3800.
      VB3 was a true classic, for those that grew up in the 80's home computing era - it was perfection. It had everything you needed and no bloat you didnt. it went downhill from 3 - with people who could not program loving 4, 5 and onwards to .net - as each new version abstracted development away from knowing what you are doing to knowing what to use (which mean tthose with money to buy manuals/courses/books or those in the right circles could sail by cluelessly). its a farce now, all languages are bloatware and luck designed to keep people in jobs. no skill, and slower software each year despite faster computers.

Comment

Originally posted by philipdalton View Post
        The Windows operating system was initially designed partly in Visual Basic, at least my computer studies teacher at college told me that anyway.
        Your lecturer needs to find a new job... Windows was around way before VB, VB was not even developed by microsoft, they bought it from a third party way after windows was well established.

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
          BASIC introduced some very poor practices, such as line-numbering, but was a great introduction to programming as it was almost entirely linear. Line 10, then line 20, then line 30 then line 40 says go to line 10 etc.
          and stuff worked, or it did not.. now no one has a clue what is going as as so many things are going on at once..

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
            Line numbers were a peculiar aspect of BASIC not used in real programming languages. Were there any 8-bits that had an inbuilt programming language that was not BASIC?
            There was a machine that had forth, designed by the people behind the sinclair hardware, jupiter ace I think it was?

Comment

Would the Sinclair QL count? With QDOS (amd SuperBASIC).

Comment

Working...
              X