Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upstairs Downstairs

CBC News - Television - BBC brings back Upstairs, Downstairs
    Looking forward to seeing this! Picks up the story in 1936 with Rose as a housekeeper, same house different family.

I watched the original series on ITV3 last year. Loved it

Re: Upstairs Downstairs

I watched the re-runs on ITV3 last year too - bit young for it first time round. Really enjoyed it. The remake that they had on at Christmas was OK - believe they've gone another one for this year (to compete with Downton Abbey probably).

Comment

One of my fave old shows.
      I doubt the new series will be as good but i'll give it a look when we eventually get to see it here in Oz.

Comment

I loved it too! Hudson, Rose, Mrs Bridges, and all the Toffs upstairs, it was quite cosy. But if you realise what life must have been for servants in Edwardian times I bet the reality was quite stark and a hard life.

Comment

OMG!!! Loved it! Mind you I watched the repeats on ITV3 and the DVD box sets. What made me want to watch it was that when my Mum used to see Simon Williams on Don't Wait Up she'd often muse over him having been 'Bellamy's Son' in Upstairs, Downstairs and then sometimes talk about how Lady Bellamy died on The Titanic. What intrigued me was that my parents didn't much have time for brands or tv shows-so it must have been something extremely special for my Mum in particular to recall with fondness. I wasn't born at the time they originally were broadcast but came to love them.

So, I watched them and read about the programme. I love the idea that people rushed home to watch it on LWT. It was 'event t.v.'...well written drama-true some eps like 'The Swedish Tiger' were weird to understand but on the whole it was a brilliant programme. I liked Thomas, a man who wanted to better himself, the Nichola Pagett/Ian Ogilvy marriage was brilliantly written-he a latent homosexual, she unknowing of how to be a woman...I was sad when she left. Same with Lady B. James was a bit of a favourite for me and a tragic figure. My parents-showing their generation liked Hudson and Bridges a lot too. I also liked Lord Bellamy.

I watched the new series and enjoyed it and its nice to see one of its co-creators Dame Eileen Atkins is finally in it now. Its a shame James was killed off as it would have been great to see him back in 165 Eaton Place....

Comment

Working...
          X