Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: School Rules

Default School Rules

Can anyone remember any school rules that seemed to only be in force at one school?

Sometimes they can produce funny looks when comparing school memories with people who went to different schools.

Ones I remember:

One of the primary schools had a rule that crisps couldn't be eaten at middle break (lunchtime). I guess this was to stop pupils snacking instead of having a full dinner, but this was never spelt out loud.

At seemingly random times it was forbidden at the same school to go behind a mobile classroom at breaks, though this didn't stop some pupils.

At one primary we had to walk on the left hand side of the corridor, but at secondary were had to walk on the right.

When I was at secondary school the head had changed in the year I started, so many rules were changed over the time I was there, which sometimes made it hard to keep up with them.

One thing phased out was the 2 school buildings being the upper & lower schools.

Originally in the upper school building each school year based there had it's own set of girls toilets, (for some reason the boys ones were shared) & in theory the girls from the other school years would have had to cross back to the other building, so that rule was quickly dropped, though the nameplates were still in place even when I left 4 years later.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Default Re: Strange School Rules

At my primary school, you weren't allowed to tie your school jumpers round your waist.

During milk break, we had to turn our chairs away from the table to drink it.

There was only so much of the school playing field we were allowed to go on - the furthest part away from the buildings was out of bounds. Weirdly enough there wasn't a physical barrier stopping us from going on it, but I guess kids had respect (fear?? haha) at that time!

Secondary school - standing up when a teacher walked into the room (even if it wasn't your teacher, just one come to pass a message on or something)

We always had to walk on the left on the stairs and I still do it to this day, it makes me feel really weird if someone is coming towards me on the same side!

I'm sure I'll think of some more!

I have some similar memories of secondary school. There were two staircases; one was suppose to be used for going up and the other for going down. This was a reasonable enough rule, especially at busy times. However, if you used the 'up' staircase to travel 'down', or vice-versa, the penalty was always overly severe. I think one boy was suspended for the rest of the week!

rules are one thing that have changed big time over the years, back when we were kids they were made up of a big list of DONTS,these days it DO be kind, DO be gentle etc,

also things like sports days you were encouraged to win and got rewarded for doing so, now its "The taking part that counts" and every single kid gets a medal for "trying" ....sod that , run for the flippin finish line!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by huggie74 View Post
    ...things like sports days you were encouraged to win and got rewarded for doing so, now its "The taking part that counts" and every single kid gets a medal for "trying" ....sod that , run for the flippin finish line!!!!!
    Yeh, I know what you mean. But on the other hand, at the primary school where I work, we adopt the 'give everyone a prize' approach and it's wonderful to see the non-sporty kids get some kind of recognition.

dont get me wrong I was the kid who was always picked last when it came to sports, so I do appreciate that side to it

Quote Originally Posted by huggie74 View Post
    dont get me wrong I was the kid who was always picked last when it came to sports, so I do appreciate that side to it
    Oh, that 'nominated captains choosing teams' thing where you were the last one to be picked. Hey, that was me too. I'm sure you know this one, Huggie...

YouTube - Janis Ian - At Seventeen

Quote Originally Posted by Marine Boy View Post
    I have some similar memories of secondary school. There were two staircases; one was suppose to be used for going up and the other for going down. This was a reasonable enough rule, especially at busy times. However, if you used the 'up' staircase to travel 'down', or vice-versa, the penalty was always overly severe. I think one boy was suspended for the rest of the week!
    My secondary school tried that in one building for about half a week, but hardly anyone followed it.

It was tricky if you had classes at one end of the school on different floors, but the correct staircase was at the other end.

After 2-3 days it was abandoned.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Primary School

All the class stand up when a member of staff enters the room,all have to say good morning or afternoon to your teacher.
    Put your hand up if you wanted to be excused from classroom
    No running in corridors
    Wait for the school bell before leaving the classroom
    Spelling tests once a week if you had over 16 out of 20 you could go outside and play rounders,if you had less than 16 had to stay in class and do lines

No chewing in classroom if you were caught,then you would have to stand outside the classroom,until the lesson was over

I remember being at primary school and one if the rules were.......You were not allowed to have a sweetie in class unless you had enough to go round.

So...if you were caught eating a sweetie, teacher said "come up here and spit it into the bin, your not allowed to eat them unless you have enough for the rest of class."

Another one was......When it was icy, not being allowed to make a slide (but we did anyway )