School Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strange School Rules

I sometimes wondered why we had a playground and field because there were so many bits of it that we weren't allowed on at certain times. We had a swimming pool in a building at the top of the yard and I can still here the teachers yelling "DON'T GO ROUND THE BACK OF THE SWIMMING POOL!" like we'd be sucked into parallel universe if we did. There was nothing behind it except a bit of grass and the school fence.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

At a private school my Mum sent me to in preparation for the entrance exam into Prep school there was a rule that even in Winter boys had to wear shorts with their uniform - I froze one Winter and Mum was so incensed that she let me wear long trousers the next day. The teacher, a right old bag had a go at Mum and Mum being Mum had a go right back. She didn't back down and yep, I went in all Winter in long trews. Funnily, the other boys also started coming in the same after that but and the rule was changed. None of the other Mums thanked my Mum for helping to scrap that rule as to tell the truth I was one of the few Asian kids there. Mum sensed the prejudice and it was slowly dawning on me that colour was an issue to some people - I was only 6 or 7....

Then at Secondary School we couldn't go near the Rose Gardens, on the games field, go over by the hedge adjoining the local secondary school, couldn't venture near the junior school that was part of the whole school, couldn't be inside during break times...basically you couldn't fart for fear of annoying the officious prats who taught there. Hated school, hated my teachers. Still do and I'm v v v glad it closed down.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
        Primary School

All the class stand up when a member of staff enters the room,all have to say good morning or afternoon to your teacher.
        Put your hand up if you wanted to be excused from classroom
        No running in corridors
        Wait for the school bell before leaving the classroom
        Spelling tests once a week if you had over 16 out of 20 you could go outside and play rounders,if you had less than 16 had to stay in class and do lines

No chewing in classroom if you were caught,then you would have to stand outside the classroom,until the lesson was over
        That also reminds me of the rules at secondary School....ugh.

Comment

NO LEATHER JACKETS!:-

I was given a nice smart little leather jacket by my older cousin, I did look nice in it, it was warm, but the straw that broke the camel's back was when I stuck USAF (United States Air Force) patches on the shoulders - it got confiscated, I was made to freeze all day, and at home time I was told never to bring it to school again.

Comment

We had to 'keep to the left' in the corridors and on the stairs and also walk in single file on the stairs at secondary school. There was also a hedge down the middle of the yard to separate boys and girls. We had to imagine that this hedge continued to the bottom of the field too. I went to an ex Grammar school and many of the teachers and rules were still in place when I started there in 1984. The headmaster walked around with his mortar hat on (think thats what they are called!) and his black cape. Everyone called him batman! Things started to slacken off a bit in 1986 when the head retired.
            Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Originally posted by FLYING SAUCER View Post
              NO LEATHER JACKETS!:-

I was given a nice smart little leather jacket by my older cousin, I did look nice in it, it was warm, but the straw that broke the camel's back was when I stuck USAF (United States Air Force) patches on the shoulders - it got confiscated, I was made to freeze all day, and at home time I was told never to bring it to school again.
              If I'd been your Dad I'd have gone in and punched the idiot of a Teacher whose bright idea it was to let a kid freeze all day by confiscating their coat....

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                If I'd been your Dad I'd have gone in and punched the idiot of a Teacher whose bright idea it was to let a kid freeze all day by confiscating their coat....
                We just often (par really bad weather) wore Football Shirts under our Shirts not Coats and unless it was rerally visable we'd not be told off!

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                  We just often (par really bad weather) wore Football Shirts under our Shirts not Coats and unless it was rerally visable we'd not be told off!
                  ... though I like the thought of how it was done in the 90s (The Nevi/Builders look) by wearing a Footy Shirt or T-Shirt under your Shirt with all Shirt Buttons un-done or quite a lot too!

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
                    We had to 'keep to the left' in the corridors and on the stairs and also walk in single file on the stairs at secondary school. There was also a hedge down the middle of the yard to separate boys and girls. We had to imagine that this hedge continued to the bottom of the field too. I went to an ex Grammar school and many of the teachers and rules were still in place when I started there in 1984. The headmaster walked around with his mortar hat on (think thats what they are called!) and his black cape. Everyone called him batman! Things started to slacken off a bit in 1986 when the head retired.
                    Sounds a bit like my old school, ex grammar school, walk on the left, split playgrounds, headteacher with a cape...spooky
                    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Might be the same school Herr. Spooky if it was!
                      Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Not sure if it was a rule (though I guess it was) in a way. I hated the sit-ins we had to take in turn with other Years for Lunch. You could be certain 3 weeks out of 4 you'd be last or 2nd last!

Comment

In high school we had to keep to the right. Which I suppose is reasonable enough.

In primary school just standing there in the playground, not associating with anyone was strictly taboo. You HAD to mix and play with other children. Daft rule because you can't make people be with those they don't want to be with.
                          The best Government is that which governs least - Thoreau.

Comment

Originally posted by Agnetha352 View Post
                            You HAD to mix and play with other children. Daft rule because you can't make people be with those they don't want to be with.
                            Yeah but this is School for you sadly Agnetha, they like thing's to be politcaly correct and thing's to have to be seen as they are! Just like the School Bully always got given more of a sympathy vote by the Teachers than the victim .... I recall often thing's were said along the lines of "they have got problems at home, you've got to go easy with them/they don't mean it really at heart"

Comment

Political correctness was not the problem in my schooldays it became later, 80sChav, but I understand what you mean. Teachers had to be seen to make the gesture, as you said.
                              The best Government is that which governs least - Thoreau.

Comment

Originally posted by Agnetha352 View Post
                                Political correctness was not the problem in my schooldays it became later, 80sChav, but I understand what you mean. Teachers had to be seen to make the gesture, as you said.
                                Sadly Agnetha yeah.

Comment

Working...
                                X