Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Modern School Nativity Plays, Political Correctness Gone Mad?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Doncaster
    Posts
    968

    Default Modern School Nativity Plays, Political Correctness Gone Mad?

    do school's still do Nativities then? or have they also fallen victim to multi-culturalism?


    Splitters!

    Visit us here:
    http://www.doyouremember.co.uk/

  2. #2

    Default Re: School Nativity Play

    Quote Originally Posted by rossobantam View Post
    do school's still do Nativities then? or have they also fallen victim to multi-culturalism?
    "Victim" of multi-culturalism? And 'mad' smileys?

    This is proabably not the place to get all political. But whilst Church of England and Catholic schools are almost always going to go for a traditional Nativity, I love the way non-faith, state schools, sometimes go for something else. I'm really inspired by the multi-cultural approach to celebrating that time of year.

    However, it's certainly true to say that when I was in an Infant state school, things were different and a Christian agenda was kind of given.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,045

    Default Re: School Nativity Play

    Quote Originally Posted by Marine Boy View Post
    "love the way non-faith, state schools, sometimes go for something else. I'm really inspired by the multi-cultural approach to celebrating that time of year.
    Surely the whole point of celebrating that time of year is that it is Christmas, a christian festival.
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

  4. #4

    Default Re: School Nativity Play

    I suppose there is a kind of expectation that something special happens in a school at the end of the autumn term and yes, that is most often Christian connected because after all, as you say, it's Christmas! I have nothing against children learning about that and performing a Nativity.

    But working in schools for the last 15 years, I've noticed that with the growing mix of faiths represented, one can also look at other celebrated festivals. The ancient marking of Midwinter comes to mind. I once did a lovely production in a school, all about the shortest day, snow, light out of darkness, etc.

    Room for all, I think is the key.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,045

    Default Re: School Nativity Play

    Quote Originally Posted by Marine Boy View Post
    I suppose there is a kind of expectation that something special happens in a school at the end of the autumn term and yes, that is most often Christian connected because after all, as you say, it's Christmas! I have nothing against children learning about that and performing a Nativity.

    But working in schools for the last 15 years, I've noticed that with the growing mix of faiths represented, one can also look at other celebrated festivals. The ancient marking of Midwinter comes to mind. I once did a lovely production in a school, all about the shortest day, snow, light out of darkness, etc.

    Room for all, I think is the key.
    I think room for all is the key, and I think the teaching of the original pagan winter festival is a good idea.

    But I think sometimes it's the thought that things aren't celebrated or recognised for fear of upsetting others in some areas that really causes resentment.
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

  6. #6

    Default Re: School Nativity Play

    Quote Originally Posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
    I think room for all is the key, and I think the teaching of the original pagan winter festival is a good idea.

    But I think sometimes it's the thought that things aren't celebrated or recognised for fear of upsetting others in some areas that really causes resentment.
    I completely understand what you're saying. Sometimes the 'fear of upsetting someone' is actually unnecassary and gets in the way. On the other hand it is entirely appropriate to be aware of others' sensibilities and then attempt to find the right approach in any given situation.

    In schools there is the added complication of 'learning about' something as opposed to 'worshiping'. If a teacher tells the children who Jesus was in the same way they would relate the story of Florence Nightingale, this is just imparting knowledge. If a teacher invites all the children to pray to God in Jesus' name, that is worship.

    Nativities seem to be a bit of a grey area here, though I tend to think that performing the Christmas story isn't worship at all. Many would disagree.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    1,282

    Default Re: Modern School Nativity Plays, Political correctness gone mad?

    Putting Religion aside a moment, I feel that The Nativity is a traditional part of the British school's Christian heritage and young children love the story.
    I personally feel it would be sad if it was ended.

    'Dreams come true if you want them to'

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NW england
    Posts
    1,033

    Default Re: Modern School Nativity Plays, Political Correctness Gone Mad?

    One of the great traditions of Christmas is the school Nativity, as a regular Sunday School teacher I have noticed in recent years that a more WinterFest approach gets taught to the kids at school.

    This means that when we come to do our own little version of the Nativity for the Christmas service we have to spend a fair bit of time leading up to it explaining to the participating kids what its all about as it confuses them.

    These are Christian kids aged 7-11 coming regularly with their families to our church and the idea that Christmas isn't just a toy extravaganza is new to them as its never been explained in state school, however they can wax lyrical about Yom Kippur and Ramadan because they are taught these from year one

  9. #9

    Default Re: Modern School Nativity Plays, Political Correctness Gone Mad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    ...These are Christian kids aged 7-11 coming regularly with their families to our church and the idea that Christmas isn't just a toy extravaganza is new to them as its never been explained in state school, however they can wax lyrical about Yom Kippur and Ramadan because they are taught these from year one
    I've worked in six primary schools over fifteen years and we have always taught the Christmas story, as well as the festival of Ramadan and several others. It's sad, Danny, that the kids you encounter don't seem to have been taught about Christmas in their state schools. I'm afraid those schools are simply not covering the curriculum properly.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    co armagh n/ireland
    Posts
    14,117

    Default Re: Modern School Nativity Plays, Political Correctness Gone Mad?

    strange primary schools do the chrimbo story as well as ramadan and others and yet state schools dont teach the christmas story all aspects of it.
    whats the reason for this i wonder.
    wonder is this still the case now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marine Boy View Post
    I've worked in six primary schools over fifteen years and we have always taught the Christmas story, as well as the festival of Ramadan and several others. It's sad, Danny, that the kids you encounter don't seem to have been taught about Christmas in their state schools. I'm afraid those schools are simply not covering the curriculum properly.

Similar Threads

  1. School songs!
    By karenbrown18 in forum School days
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 15-02-2019, 12:52
  2. Last day at school
    By vanhelsing in forum School days
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 02-03-2018, 13:32
  3. Fun School
    By remember in forum School days
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-10-2017, 20:04
  4. School Nativity Play
    By andria in forum School days
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 29-12-2010, 22:41
  5. Modern day 80s band from Des Moines, Iowa
    By remember in forum Announcements and news
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-12-2008, 17:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •