Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Telephones

Default Re: Telephones

Quote Originally Posted by Marine Boy View Post
    I once saw a phone mounted on the wall at a friend's house. For some reason, at the time, I thought this was a brilliant idea and tried to convince my parents that we should do the same. They said no, so it stayed on one of those little tables you had in the hall, with a surface for the phone, a little shelf for the directories and an unholstered seat.
    How?? The wall mounted ones were different (the handset was on the top). The standard GPO could not be wallmounted

This takes me back..

YouTube - Dial-a-Disc (1971)

Quote Originally Posted by sixtyten View Post
    How?? The wall mounted ones were different (the handset was on the top). The standard GPO could not be wallmounted
    I don't think that occurred to me. I was probably only about 9 or 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine Boy View Post
    This is the phone that I grew up with. I still have pangs about wanting one today!

Sorry about huge size. I'm afraid I don't know how to resize pics. I should learn!
    Wheyhey!! I've got one of these in green in my cupboard as I write this. Was put in there when we moved house a few months ago. I just love the sound the dial makes and feels when you dial and the ring tone is brill. The handset is far more comfortable to use than modern phones too. I must dig it out and plug it in. Thanks for the reminder.

We didn't get a phone until about 1980. The usual type...ours was a creamy mustard colour. I always wanted a red one like Bat Man's hot line. It didn't ring like anybody elses though. My parents put tape on the bells to soften the ring, but it came out like a weird brrrrrr.
    1976 Vintage

We had a phone like the one in MB's pic. It was kept in the hall on a telephone table as described. We didn't have central heating so that was an incentive to keep calls brief. I remember phoning Dial-a-Disc and TIM. Ours was a party line and we shared with the first house in an adjoining road. If they failed to replace their receiver correctly we couldn't make or receive calls. I remember a couple of times my brother and I being sent to ask them to put their phone back properly. One time the woman denied it was off and my brother said "Yes it is, we heard you telling your husband you were doing liver and onions for tea!" Her face was a picture lol
    "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Marine Boy had my family's telephone!!!!!!! I even remember the number from 1974. (STD)467024. I'm tempted to ring it now and see who has that number now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqueline View Post
    We had a phone like the one in MB's pic. It was kept in the hall on a telephone table as described. We didn't have central heating so that was an incentive to keep calls brief. I remember phoning Dial-a-Disc and TIM. Ours was a party line and we shared with the first house in an adjoining road. If they failed to replace their receiver correctly we couldn't make or receive calls. I remember a couple of times my brother and I being sent to ask them to put their phone back properly. One time the woman denied it was off and my brother said "Yes it is, we heard you telling your husband you were doing liver and onions for tea!" Her face was a picture lol
    I don't think we ever had a party line, though my school friend did. But Jacqueline, that's such a brilliant story!

Quote Originally Posted by Grosh62 View Post
    Marine Boy had my family's telephone!!!!!!! I even remember the number from 1974. (STD)467024. I'm tempted to ring it now and see who has that number now!
    I recall my number from that year too, but I must admit, I'd never thought of ringing it! Actually, I don't think it would work as our number consisted of five digits and everyone in that area now has six.

I'm definitely going to get a retro phone!

I remember our phone number only had 5 digits at first then they put a 5 infront of all the numbers in the area and later a 2 infront of the 5. No more after that though.
    1976 Vintage