Telephones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Telephones

We had a phone like the one in MB's pic. It was kept in the hall on a telephone table as described. We didn't have central heating so that was an incentive to keep calls brief. I remember phoning Dial-a-Disc and TIM. Ours was a party line and we shared with the first house in an adjoining road. If they failed to replace their receiver correctly we couldn't make or receive calls. I remember a couple of times my brother and I being sent to ask them to put their phone back properly. One time the woman denied it was off and my brother said "Yes it is, we heard you telling your husband you were doing liver and onions for tea!" Her face was a picture lol
    "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Marine Boy had my family's telephone!!!!!!! I even remember the number from 1974. (STD)467024. I'm tempted to ring it now and see who has that number now!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacqueline View Post
        We had a phone like the one in MB's pic. It was kept in the hall on a telephone table as described. We didn't have central heating so that was an incentive to keep calls brief. I remember phoning Dial-a-Disc and TIM. Ours was a party line and we shared with the first house in an adjoining road. If they failed to replace their receiver correctly we couldn't make or receive calls. I remember a couple of times my brother and I being sent to ask them to put their phone back properly. One time the woman denied it was off and my brother said "Yes it is, we heard you telling your husband you were doing liver and onions for tea!" Her face was a picture lol
        I don't think we ever had a party line, though my school friend did. But Jacqueline, that's such a brilliant story!

Comment

Originally posted by Grosh62 View Post
          Marine Boy had my family's telephone!!!!!!! I even remember the number from 1974. (STD)467024. I'm tempted to ring it now and see who has that number now!
          I recall my number from that year too, but I must admit, I'd never thought of ringing it! Actually, I don't think it would work as our number consisted of five digits and everyone in that area now has six.

I'm definitely going to get a retro phone!

Comment

I remember our phone number only had 5 digits at first then they put a 5 infront of all the numbers in the area and later a 2 infront of the 5. No more after that though.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember my phone number from childhood, a four digit number which I now use as the code for my house alarm
              The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Before we had a phone at home it was quite an adventure going to a telephone box. They seemed graffiti free and non vandalised back then. They had telephone directories as well. I must be getting old lol

Comment

Before we had a phone at home it was quite an adventure going to a telephone box. They seemed graffiti free and non vandalised back then. They had telephone directories as well. I must be getting old lol
                  It's the smell I remember - a mix of metal, money and damp directories (when it wasn't overpowered by wee).
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember our first telephone number was 88! Then after a few years they made it 2088. I remember the old red telephone boxes with big black telephones. 3d for a call and press button B to get your money back if they didn't answer. You pressed button A if they answered and your 3d dropped down so you could talk back.

I also remember when there really were Dr Who police boxes! There was one just like it for years in the town centre and originally it was green then they were all painted blue like the Tardis. Only the policemen could use them, we hadpolicemen on the beat then too.
                    The people of Oman don't like the Flintstones but the people of Abu Dhabi do!

Comment

My parents had a wall mounted standard GPO phone until 1990, before getting a push button phone which I have as a spare.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I've never had a land line, but my parents went from the cream GPO to a cream push button to a cream SouthWestern Bell cordless which they have had for a million years. They're not very adventurous!
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

We had a party line when we got our first phone. It was with a young woman across the Crescent and it pinged if she received or made a call. Sometimes if you wanted to ring out she would be on so I always covered the mouth piece just in case. It was one one such mouth piece covering that I discovered that she was a 'professional' woman taking bookings over the phone. I only received £1 pocket money a week so the revelation was no good to me and Mum and Dad asked BT to give us a dedicated line the following day.
                          Last edited by Grosh62; 21-10-2010, 21:54. Reason: grandma,grammer...did it wrong!

Comment

my phone is a landline.

it does not work well as ive spilt tea and coffee over the buttons.
                            have to press each button hard and about 100 times.

ive no interest in getting a mobile.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

We had a party line when we got our first phone. It was with a young woman across the Crescent and it pinged if she received or made a call. Sometimes if you wanted to ring out she would be on so I always covered the mouth piece just in case. It was one one such mouth piece covering that I discovered that she was a 'professional' woman taking bookings over the phone. I only received £1 pocket money a week so the revelation was no good to me and Mum and Dad asked BT to give us a dedicated line the following day.
                              Ooh I'd forgotten about the pinging Grosh62. You're right, ours did that too.

Comment

I rememb.......Oh hang on! The phone's ringing!

(Just Kidding!)

In the early '80s we had a trimphone. I think it was cream or possibly light brown. Up to that point we had a phone similar to the one in MB's pic. I think the trimphone still had the dial rather than push buttons.
                                "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Working...
                                X