Telephones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telephones

I have just bought my first Mobile Phone and it got me thinking how much different they are to the old Landline Phones, remember those Micky Mouse phones and the ones shaped like a banana, what others can you remember?

Re: Telephones

This is the phone that I grew up with. I still have pangs about wanting one today!

Sorry about huge size. I'm afraid I don't know how to resize pics. I should learn!

Comment

The first phone I can remember us having was a cream finger dial phone, I use to love turning the number round then waiting for it to get back to its home

I always wanted the Karma Chameleon phone but never got one

Edit... same one as MB posted just a different colour (size is fine MB)
      Heather

Comment

We didn't have our first phone until 1980! A huge sense of embarrassment to me.
        It was the same as MB's pic, but cream like Hug's. Weren't they great!
        sigpic
        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Ours was like MBs pic but cream too. It hung on the wall in the hall.

My uncle didn't have a phone for a long time and we used to get phonecalls for him, so I was often despatched off up the street to fetch him.
          The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
            Ours was like MBs pic but cream too. It hung on the wall in the hall...
            I once saw a phone mounted on the wall at a friend's house. For some reason, at the time, I thought this was a brilliant idea and tried to convince my parents that we should do the same. They said no, so it stayed on one of those little tables you had in the hall, with a surface for the phone, a little shelf for the directories and an unholstered seat.
            Last edited by Marine Boy; 18-10-2009, 18:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
              I once saw a phone mounted on the wall at a friend's house. For some reason, at the time, I thought this was a brilliant idea and tried to convince my parents that we should do the same. They said no, so it stayed on one of those little tables you had in the hall, with a surface for the phone, a little shelf for the directories and an unholstered seat.
              Our phone was identical to yours, same colour and all. And yes it was freestanding in the hall on a little table, with the directories underneath. We didn't have a little seat though. We also had a personal phone directory that you dialed the letter for the appropriate page

Comment

Originally posted by Lassie View Post
                ...We also had a personal phone directory that you dialed the letter for the appropriate page
                Did it kind of 'pop up' at the page? I think we had one like that too. A gold coloured dial and a black leatherette cover on the directory.

Comment

My parents had a wall mounted Green & Grey GPO one until 1990.

Those old ones were hard wired, so you had to get BT to come round to fit a socket before you could buy another phone.

I remember when the mid 1980s Argos catalogues had a whole section on novelty phones, I can remember one like a piano & another shaped liked a golf trolly.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I would imagine (if we all grew up in the 70's) that we ALL had the same phone. The GPO rotary dial was the only model available back then until the Trimphone came out.
                    After they changed to the Telecom wall plug, a wide range of novelty phones were available.

Happy memories of getting our first phone back in 1973. We were not allowed to touch it! It sat at the foot of the stairs on the telephone table mentioned above, next to the telephone book.
                    Not sure why we got it, as most people we knew didn't have one, so no-one to call.
                    I recall sneaking a few calls to Dial-a-Disc
                    Last edited by sixtyten; 19-10-2009, 01:15.

Comment

How?? The wall mounted ones were different (the handset was on the top). The standard GPO could not be wallmounted

Comment

This takes me back..

YouTube - Dial-a-Disc (1971)

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
                          How?? The wall mounted ones were different (the handset was on the top). The standard GPO could not be wallmounted
                          I don't think that occurred to me. I was probably only about 9 or 10.

Comment

This is the phone that I grew up with. I still have pangs about wanting one today!

Sorry about huge size. I'm afraid I don't know how to resize pics. I should learn!
                            Wheyhey!! I've got one of these in green in my cupboard as I write this. Was put in there when we moved house a few months ago. I just love the sound the dial makes and feels when you dial and the ring tone is brill. The handset is far more comfortable to use than modern phones too. I must dig it out and plug it in. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

We didn't get a phone until about 1980. The usual type...ours was a creamy mustard colour. I always wanted a red one like Bat Man's hot line. It didn't ring like anybody elses though. My parents put tape on the bells to soften the ring, but it came out like a weird brrrrrr.
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                              X