Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: hymns

Default Re: hymns

One of my favourites. And I think your memory is bang on!

I remember as a teenager objecting to the line "saved a wretch like me" in Amazing Grace.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine Boy View Post
    A reference to a post on here from last year; I found this picture:

But I still can't find a picture of the smaller books with green and blue wavey lines on the cover.
    God that takes me back - but I always thought the kids looked like yobs

Our hymns were on huge dangling books or pads that were suspended high up on both sides of the assembly hall in my primary school. Tatty-edged, they seemed so archaic. I can't recall if I ever saw how they turned over the pages. Maybe with a hook and pole. Perhaps it was a prefect's job.

Then, around 1979 or 1980, the future arrived in the form of an overhead projector. Hymns were hand-written (by teachers I expect) onto clear plastic sheets in coloured felt-tips. We vied for the job of overhead projector operator but it was given to the smallest boy in class. This was so his head wouldn't get in the way and cause a shadow.

We weren't given the words at all - we were expected to just learn them by heart. Hymn practice was to me always a chore. I never sang along with the others, I just mimed the words - I thought it was silly to sing in a crowd.

And people think it's just my old age that makes me cynical.
    The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Those kids on the front of the Come and Praise book are permanently etched into my memory thanks to the many hours of staring at them during boring assemblies. The funny looking one in the middle with the weird eyebrows, the one that is asleep, the one with a propellar for a nose, the smug smiley one at the front and the one with his gob open lol. I wonder where they are now?
    Last edited by Trickyvee; 22-01-2011 at 21:13.
    1976 Vintage

Perhaps those kids never existed. Rather than being a photograph of actual kids, it might have been an abstract painting or drawing by an artist.

my infant and junior school had a huge, thick and very old flip chart thing that was hoisted up on high with a pulley and rope system,
    My secondary school had these books that they gave you as you filed into the hall. They had a blue cover, were falling apart and had a peculiar smell that all old books seem to have.
    It was quite a battle holding a fist full of paper and string binding together whilst searching for the hymn chosen by the headmaster. Most of the time i used to mouth the words so when the teachers scanned the hall i wouldnt get hauled out afterwards and given the usual standing outside the heads office punishment for such a transgression.
    Christmas carols were always sung with great gusto, including all the new words we also typically substituted, the worst thing we had to sing was the school song.
    It was partly in latin and the words where slightly longer than the music allowed so it was quite unpopular and awkward to sing
    Floreat scholas Almondburiensis was its name, i think that says it all.

I might have mentioned before that one of the teachers at my primary school used to complain that people were (badly) mouthing along rather than singing, "like a tank full of goldfish" was her description.
    The Trickster On The Roof

All I remember is "We three kings of Orient are,2 in a taxi,one in a car.One on a scooter,blowing his hooter......

Yes,I see that makes 4,but hey ho!

tulip