hymns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: hymns

Well here's a well known parody of While Shepherds Watched...

While Shepherds washed their socks by night
    A-watching ITV
    The angel of the lord came down
    And switched to BBC

Stupid time paradox really because TV didn't exist when Jesus was born.
    I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

I was thinking today about a hymn a teacher taught us - Hills of the North Rejoice. The last line of the first verse says:

He judgement brings and victory.

This makes no sense at all - it sounds like a very bad translation from another language. And it definitely does say that - I've just looked it up.
      The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

Originally posted by Star Attraction View Post
        Perhaps those kids never existed. Rather than being a photograph of actual kids, it might have been an abstract painting or drawing by an artist.
        naaa I reckon they are real, big 70's collars, funny hair cuts and all.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

Thanks to ebay I am now leafing through the 'Come and Praise' book for the first time in 27 years! What has struck me is not how many hymns I remember but how many I don't! I'm sure some would come back to me if I heard the tune again but I'm pretty sure there are many that we just never sang.

Strange how you don't really think about these things as a child. Just go and sing every morning for four years and never wonder why some were never chosen. I'm also struck by just how religious it is. It shouldn't really be a surprise to me but it somehow seems wrong that we had that blanket of faith forced upon us. That said, at that age the songs were pretty meaningless to me. I knew the words were about Jesus and that but it was really all about enjoying a good sing for me. I turned out athiest!

The copy I have was printed in 1986 and I remember my school getting a delivery of them in that very year, all clean and new with lovely shiney covers, unlike the tatty older editions with dull covers that had been in the school for years. I had an old one that wasn't deemed tatty enough to be replaced You don't know how much I wanted a new one! Well now I have one *claps with glee*
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Solo View Post
            Ahh I loved the songs we used to sing in assembly, from a blue "Come and Praise" book - the ones I can remember are:

When I Needed a Neighbour (we all giggled during the "I was cold, I was naked" part)
            Autumn Days(?)
            Lord of the Dance
            Kumbayah
            He's Got the Whole World In His Hands

looooads more that I can't remember now! And I loved Christmas time, we had a different book and just sang carols...aaah, magical!!
            My school had all of these and I HATED "Autumn Days!" I deliberately kept quiet whenever asked to sing it. Even as a little girl I refused to be thankful for cold weather, rain, slimy leaf mulch, and the return to school!

I remember that when I first started school I misheard "I am the Lord of the Dance, said He" as "I am the dance of the dance settee" and wondered what Jesus had to do with furniture ...

Comment

I used to sing 'dance settee' as well. I used to giggle at the mental image of Jesus jumping all over the furniture.

Comment

In primary I used to sing along but by secondary I had began to question if it was right or wrong that a school or somebody else try to force on us something we did not feel for. So I started to either mumble or near the end of my time in secondary just standing there silent. It was the time I started to question my own being with my own belief system shifting in another direction with what the school and then state wanted and I felt I did not fit the mold so in a way by standing silent I rebelled.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                  Were they the ones with the swirly blue and green lines on the front? If so, that's what we used from about 1969 to 1973/4. I recently discovered something very similar, (trying to recall the title) in a local church and a slight thrill went through me.

Otherwise, especially when singing more modern hymns, it was the overhead projector. The words were usually handwritten. (Bit different to the downloading and interactive whiteboards we have in the school where I work at the moment!)

On Friday mornings we had hymn practise for the hymns we would be singing the following week. At the end there was usually time for requests. I think 'When a Knight Won his Spurs' was favourite, with 'Lord of the Dance' coming a close second. I also recall 'Oh Jesus I have Promised' - to the modern bouncy tune, and 'As Jacob with Travel'.

The hymn books were called With Cheerful Voice.

Comment

i cant remember singing hymms certainly in secondary school this would have been between 86 and 88 where id have been 11 to 13.

but no i cant remember ever singing hymms.

in primary school we might have cant quite remember now we had assembly followed by a prayer.

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                    In primary I used to sing along but by secondary I had began to question if it was right or wrong that a school or somebody else try to force on us something we did not feel for. So I started to either mumble or near the end of my time in secondary just standing there silent. It was the time I started to question my own being with my own belief system shifting in another direction with what the school and then state wanted and I felt I did not fit the mold so in a way by standing silent I rebelled.
                    Last edited by darren; 03-04-2015, 16:48.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I was cold I was naked, were you there? (Sorry, couldn't resist)
                      Give my joy in my heart, keep me surfing(?) OK, I know it's 'serving'.
                      There was one we used to sing called 'Dance in the sun', one line went something like: 'all the children who are gay are singing'.

Comment

They didn't have hymns at my primary or secondary schools. The kids at the local C of E school used to sing hymns in assembly every week. They had an overhead projector with slides rather than hymn books. There was a cynical theory that it served a double purpose in helping to identify kids that needed to wear glasses.

Comment

I went to a Catholic school and hymns were sung every morning, we'd say prayers too before our dinner, i think we were even told we'd go to hell if we didn't eat all of our dinner, i remember some kids wouldn't eat the garden peas as they thought little men were inside them!

Comment

we used to have hymn books, then they bought a projector and started to use that. i loved the morning assemblys.

Comment

When I was at junior school, I used to wonder why the lack of a city wall was a significant detail about the green hill far away. Some years later, I twigged that "without" can also mean "outside"!

Comment

A friend had a Welsh teacher at his school that the kids called Taffy who used to regularly give long boring lectures to kids in assembly about their bad behaviour. Whenever he was happy he got the kids to sing Cwm Rhondda in assembly and whenever he was unhappy he got the kids to sing Onward Christian Soldiers. The friend made up his own version called Onward Taffy's Lectures. One day Taffy said something about leaving out the last verse but the friend wasn't listening. At the end of the penultimate verse the piano stopped and everybody shut up but the friend yelled out Taffy's lectures and everybody heard it. Taffy had no idea why he yelled out Taffy's lectures then started to question him about whether he wanted to hear a long lecture or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X