singalong to the radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• singalong to the radio

This is one that's just popped in my head today while looking through this new forum. Going way way back

Every week for a year or two the teachers handed out little song books and then they dragged in a trolley with a big radio on it.

The programme started ( Songs for Schools ? ) and the announcer said which page etc in the book, a few seconds to give you time to find it then all joined in and sang along while teachers walked up and down making sure you took part.

Who else remembers doing this ?

Re: singalong to the radio

I remember singing along to a radio show on Thursdays in the late 1980s, though with an OHP rather than being given books.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

The books had something like 'BBC audio workshops' written on the front, small black letters on large expanse of white and were in a lanscape A4 format.

The songs also had the music notes on each page so I assume at some schools the recorders/flutes came out, not at mine though

Comment

Bit more about this here Danny
        https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...rogrammes.html
        Heather

Comment

Cheers Heather - this link was quite interesting and relevant to my thread once it got past the TV stuff and got down to the school radio programmes - I deffo remember Geoffrey Wheeler presenting so that must have stayed at back of my mind all those years

Comment

Hi I remember this from primary school. There were two progs 'Time and Tune' and 'Singing Together' I'm talking 1965 onwards. In fact I actually still have a few of these books now. Do you think they're worth a mint

Comment

I remember 'Singing Together' I enjoyed that in school.

Comment

down by the fence at the bottom of the garden, twiglige lives in an old oak tree

dont ask why thats stuck in my head 36 years later, lol

Comment

I remeber Singing Together books from the early 80s we had Rumplestiltskin, Pinochio and one called Ramu about sum poor Indian boy, we also had Singing together books with various songs in i can remeber The yellow rose of texas, I have a red sombrero and one called Here come the navies.
                  The Radio show was usually presented by some bloke called Dougla who sung like a opera singer and always had a choir with him and you had to repeat lines after them

Comment

Singing Together - I remember my primary school had a stock of old pupil pamphlets for that. I think class 4 (3rd and 4th year juniors - i.e. years 5 & 6 in today's speak) did that BBC radio progamme. We didn't by the time my year got to that class though.

When I was in the 3rd year infants (year 2 in today's lingo) summer term 1979, we did another BBC radio for schools music programme "Time and Tune". There were pupil pamphlets for that too. Summer term 1979 the topic for Time and Tune was "The World of Animals" with the songs themed around animals, e.g. "One More River" (as in Noah's Ark), "The Squirrel", "The Climate" (its first line "We sing of the polar bear fearless and bold"), "Bought Me A Cat" etc. In autumn term 1979 (by then I was in class 3 1st year juniors - equivalent to year 3) we still did "Time and Tune", that term the theme was Jack and the Beanstalk. Who else remembers the music programme "Time and Tune"?
                    I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

I remember listening to a radio programme that featured a couple of songs from a musical version of Beatrix Potter's The Tailor Of Gloucester.

We were all given a song book with the tyrics in to help learn the songs.

Over the autumn term of 1985 my class learned it & then did it as an Xmas play (only the infants did the Nativity).
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Star Attraction View Post
                        ...Who else remembers the music programme "Time and Tune"?
                        I remember it well. It's come up on the forum before - I can't seem to locate the thread right now. But those little booklets and some of the covers are etched on my memory.

Comment

Hi everyone. I remember singing together at school especially in 1978. I loved it and can still remember some of the songs. The very first song i learnt was Twigwidge and can still remember the first verse:

Down by the fence at the bottom of the garden Twigwidge lives in a chestnut tree.
                          Nobody knows of this merry little tree sprite, day long working so happily.
                          Chorus: Tap tap Twigwidge, rap a tap Twigwidge.
                          Twigwidge spirit of the chestnut tree. (Think its then repeated)
                          Memorys not that good! lol
                          I also remember those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines.
                          It went like this:
                          From early times man longed to fly,
                          to be like birds he had to try,
                          but early plans went all astray,
                          and on the ground man had to stay.
                          Chorus: Flying machines circling round and around,
                          looping the loop almost touching the ground,
                          flying machines circling round and around,
                          upside down and faster than sound.

Also remember this song coz i was in the recorder group and we played it in assembly once.
                          Where have you been to Peter
                          To the stars by the milky way
                          I saw the moon just waking
                          at the break of day

I remember bits and pieces of other songs too and even had a couple of the books but theyve long gone now.
                          Oh happy times :-)

Comment

There's some excellent info on Time and Tune here - http://www.broadcastforschools.co.uk/site/Time_and_Tune . It's an excellent site all round for UK schools TV and radio and the only place I've found that even acknowledges the pre-Words and Pictures programme Up In The Attic; pretty much my earliest memory of schools TV.

Comment

I remmber theses
                              Jack And The Beanstalk
                              Something about the adventures of the three wise men
                              medieval knights
                              one set in a radio station.
                              WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X