Celeb backing singers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celeb backing singers

I first put this question in another DYR thread https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/s...ng-vocals.html
    but the thread stayed on track so am putting my question on it's own to see if I get a response HERE WE GO....

I remember watching TOTP in maybe late 70's and they had Judge Dredd on it with Big Six or Big Seven or whatever.
    Anyways for some reason ( or so DLT claimed ) his backing singers couldn't appear so a bit of improvisation took place.
    He stood there singing away with David Essex, Rod Stewart and Elton John all dancing round behind him and joining in on the chorus.

I've spouted off about this in the past and nobody believes me or remembers it so does anyone in here ?

Re: Celeb backing singers

Nope!! I'm gonna look on YT for it though!!
    "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
    sigpic

Comment

I remember seeing a clip in TOTP2 of McFadden & Whitehead performing Ain't Not Stopping Us Now live in the studio, backed by what seemed to be members the Shepard's Bush WI.

I know the BBC & the Musician's Union had some friction between them around this time, so this might have been a compromise.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Dave Lee Travis did improvise as a type of backing singer or whatever sometimes.He did so when MUD played on Top of the Pops one Christmas.He seems to have a violin here.I dare say this was mimed as a lot on top of the pops was.

YouTube - Mud-Tiger Feet

Top of the Pops did do live shows,so maybe David Essex,Rod Stewart and Elton John did actually sing live?
        Here is a clip of the Rezilloes playing live.The clip says it is on top of the pops,but it does seem to be a bit too rough for top of the pops,so i assume it may be the programme Revolver.

YouTube - THE REZILLOS - TOP OF THE POPS - LIVE 1978 (Revolver)

Yes,i think it is Revolver,as i am sure i saw Peter Cook on the screen behind.

Comment

Deffo Revolver. You can see Peter Cook on the screen at the start

Comment

Great minds!

Comment

I remember Mick Jagger doing backing on Carly Simons Your So Vain.
              "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

A few singers have done backing vocals before hitting the big time.

Cher was a sessionist on a few early 1960s songs, & was often told off for singing too loud.

Madonna was one of Yvonne Elliman's backing singers.

Mariah Carey backed Michael Jackson on the Bad tour.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post

Are you sure?

Sheryl Crow surely?

Comment

sam brown had a hit called stop and durga mcbroom {real name} had a hit with the band blue pearl {naked in the rain} well the two of them were backing singers for pink floyd in the late 80,s early 90,s

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post

Madonna was one of Yvonne Elliman's backing singers.

Don't think Madonna sang backing vocals for anyone.
                      Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

John Peel played the mandolin backing Rod Stewart on Maggie May on TOTP.

I think I saw Kirsty McColl in the backing singers of some other band the other day but I can't remember who it was, some punk band I think.

Comment

Michelle Collins (actress Cindy Beale in Eastenders) was one of the backing singers for Mari Wilson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSoqcChrrno

Also, Sally Lindsay who played Shelley in Coronation street was in St Winnifred's (There's No one Quite Like Grandma) School Choir.
                          Last edited by Jacqueline; 16-01-2011, 17:05.
                          "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Working...
                          X