Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Controversial children's "Top of the Pops" programme?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controversial children's "Top of the Pops" programme?

I think this was in the 70's but I was quite young so I may be wrong. Anyway, it was a Top of the Pops for kids and it became very controversial because the kids apparently looked too sexy for their age (they had make up on). I remember some of the kids couldn't have been more than eight or nine. Any ideas?

Re: Controversial children's "Top of the Pops" programme?

Must be 'The Mini Pops'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPSn6...7EC03&index=35
    Last edited by ann22; 24-10-2009, 18:46.

Comment

Mini-Pops was awful. God knows who dreamed that one up. Jonathon King?

Comment

I remember that program, seen it once and that was enough, it was very disturbing to watch.
        I think it was in the 80s not the 70s but i cant remember the name.
        Could have been something like top/bob tots?

Comment

Already answered..it was Mini Pops

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minipops

Comment

Originally posted by ann22 View Post
            must be 'the mini pops'
            Thanks ann22. Yes that's the one. I can see now why it was thought of as controversial at the time.

Comment

I remember seeing it at the time & not thinkinh it was that dodgy, but then again I was the about same age as most of them.

About that time there was another pre-teen act called the Mint Julips, which appears on shows like Wide Awake Club & Number 73.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember watching MiniPops too, and quite enjoying it. I was probably a similar age as the kids, or maybe a couple of years older, so the programme at the time actually appealed to me. In hindsight though, it was just ghastly! I remember the kids dressing up like the pop acts at the time.

Comment

I remember this because a girl in my school was in it.Didn't normally watch it but the whole school was going mad over it.I can still see her in it now singing' In the jungle the mighty jungle the lion sleeps tonight' LOL

Comment

I forgot to mention earlier that I found an LP of songs featured on the show at a record fair a few year ago.

I was slightly temped to buy it but didn't.

Comment

To set the record straight: Jonathan King was sexually attracted to boys who were of the age of consent, but homosexuality was illegal in those days. Why his 'victims' wanted to make an issue of it nearly 40 years later is beyond me.

Comment

Definitely early-'80s as it was a Channel 4 show. One of the kids on it - who appeared as Sheena Easton - was a guest on the Channel 4 'Big Fat Anniversay Quiz' celebrating 25 years of the channel recently.

Edit: Just read the wikipedia entry referred to on the first page, which backs all of this up.
                        Last edited by Austin Maxi; 30-05-2010, 14:38.
                        "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I remember a Colgate blue minty gel ad from the 80s as well. That was similar to mini pops with children imitating Madness. Lee Ross (Eastenders, Ashes to Ashes) was in it.

just found it on you tube under "colgate blue minty gel".
                          Last edited by branny; 31-05-2010, 03:30.
                          "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I remember that Colgate ad, I think they also did one for Walls Finger lollies.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                              I remember seeing it at the time & not thinkinh it was that dodgy, but then again I was the about same age as most of them.

About that time there was another pre-teen act called the Mint Julips, which appears on shows like Wide Awake Club & Number 73.
                              I remember Number 73 even though by then I was in my early 20s. I especially loved the sandwich game - very much in the style of Crackerjack. The main presenter was Sandi Toksvig who presents the News Quiz on RAdio 4. I listen to it about 10 days later when it is played on Radio 7. I could never stand the wide awake club, sorry, I mean Timmy Mallet.
                              Just who was Soft Mick?

Comment

Working...
                              X