toys i liked as a kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: toys i liked as a kid

I had the Airfix equivalent of Scalextric, but suffered the usual frustrations of car contacts and track jumping, and I found I got bored of it quickly. The TV adverts made it look great, but for me the reality was disappointing. Having said that, I had a couple of mates who loved it.

Comment

Going back to the late 60s/early 70s, there was a fad for gyroscopes. I was bought one for my birthday, probably 1970. Like model racing cars, I found that the adverts, with gyroscopes doing all sorts of cool things, didn't quite live up to what I could get mine to do.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
        I had many of the Airfix H0-00 scale sets of soldiers together with several playsets: French Foreign Legion fort with Foreign Legion and Arab bedouin soldiers, Pontoon Bridge Assault set with German infantry and British commandos plus some vehicles, Gun emplacement set with a gun set in a trenched firebase with German infantry and British paratroops. There was also a Robin Hood set which I didn't have.
        Me too. Me and my brother after me used to play for HOURS with these 'little men' as we called them.

They were great as you could play with them on a table-top - or anywhere, just about - and then just sweep the whole lot into a box in one go when you'd finished.

There were loads of figure types as you say from civilians (boring, then, but interesting for being first ones to come out) to WW2 soldiers and everything in between. They were cheap too if I remember rightly.

I had the white fort with Foreign Legions and Narabs (deliberate spelling) but I never had them as a set. They were bought seperately.

I also had the Waterloo farmhouse (which I painted - and the figures) but like you never got Nottingham castle.

Great memories. You can still get these sets today I believe.

Comment

You still have them when did you get them.

I knew a fella and he had everything from the original films.ships figures etc.

Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
          my star wars figures and vehicle's best thing ever
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I was a Star Wars fan too. And luckily my mum was a hoarder who never threw anything away.
            This was a pic of my star wars stuff having just had 30yrs of storage muck cleaned off it, before giving it to my lad a few years back.

Comment

I didn't know about the Waterloo farm but had several sets of Waterloo-era soldiers.

I know you were supposed to paint the soldiers but I never did--just too fiddly and not worth it for what I used them for.

Comment

I didn't know about the Waterloo farm but had several sets of Waterloo-era soldiers.

I know you were supposed to paint the soldiers but I never did--just too fiddly and not worth it for what I used them for.
                Aye painting them as a kid was damned hard ! Airfix paint used to stink the place out !

Oh just remembered another building - the roman Fort ! Romans and Anshunt (spelling intended) Britons great stuff.

Comment

Oh, yes, I forgot about that one, but I didn't have it, though I did have the Roman and Ancient Britons sets.

Comment

Originally posted by Nik_Barbour View Post
                    I was a Star Wars fan too. And luckily my mum was a hoarder who never threw anything away.
                    This was a pic of my star wars stuff having just had 30yrs of storage muck cleaned off it, before giving it to my lad a few years back.
                    Nice!

I massively regret selling my entire collection as a teen for 20 quid. I'm pretty sure there were some bits I didn't sell, but my mum has a sneaky habit of giving stuff away then pretending she didn't when asked.

Comment

I sympathise. My mother was the same, including giving away my beloved 1970 Mk 1 Chopper bike

After the Star Wars frenzy had died down after Return of the Jedi, I passed a shop with a basket outside crammed full of Star Wars figures, all brand new and still in their packaging, selling for 25p per figure. I bought 4 and gave them to our neighbour's kids as they were always at our house when their parents were at work. If I had known what those figures would go for today I would have bought the lot.

Comment

My Mum gave almost all me & my brother's Star Wars collection to a school fair, but it was when no-one was interested in Star Wars & we had just about outgrown them.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Anyone remember the Matt Mason range of toys from Mattel? I had Matt and another of his fellow astronauts, plus some nifty accessories. The problem with the figures was that they had a wire skeleton inside the rubbery body and the wire often broke leaving arms andlegs incapable of being posed.

Comment

THIS IS THEM

Anyone remember the Matt Mason range of toys from Mattel? I had Matt and another of his fellow astronauts, plus some nifty accessories. The problem with the figures was that they had a wire skeleton inside the rubbery body and the wire often broke leaving arms andlegs incapable of being posed.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but it might be too obscure.

I used to have a small metal toy, looking a bit like a top. It was two metal discs (about 7" diameter), separated on a metal strut (about 3").

Each disc ad the edge turned inwards, like a lip, with a metal edge.

There was a separate part which looked like a smaller, yellow, plastic top, fatter in the middle with small, metal, magnetic spikes sticking out of the centre on each side.

The idea was this top would run along the edges of the disk by sticking, magnetically, to the lips of each disk: you could then flip it with your fingers so it would run on the inside of the lips, thus go the other way!

Hours of fun!
                              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Sounds similar to these which i had as a kid:

Comment

Working...
                                X